Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning for Fat loss

Options
  • 30-09-2015 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I've recently joined a gym that has classes included. I'm not the most coordinated person so spinning tends to be what i go do. Last week I went to 3x 45minute spin classes.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of faffing around the gym floor myself as I don't really know what I'm doing, so a class makes me feel like I've actually achieved something.

I've about 2 stone to lose - will spinning alone (along with diet) get me on my way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Any activity will help you. Spinning is a good class to do but it will largely depend on your diet.

If you ask one of the trainers to show you around the gym floor, they could give you a programme or you can get numerous decent ones online that will save you from faffing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

spinning , provided you do the work can be excellent for fat loss.
    but as Alf said your diet will play a huge role.

If you like spinning , keep spinning but remember there are other options.
    while I'm aware that you are new but as you adapt to spinning you will need to increase it to beyond 3 times a week or take in other classes or get a gym program on top of it.

I'm recommend a program plus additional spinning class but it's a personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Thanks both.

Yes, I'm also being very conscious of my diet, trying to eat as many whole foods as possible and cooking from scratch as much as I can. I'm focusing on good nutrition rather than buying processed low fat products, and changing to things like brown rice, and cooking with (a small amount) coconut oil. I also only buy good quality meat and fish from the butcher/fishmonger. I'm also bulking out my meals with salads and other veg to keep my carb portions in check.
    I've totally cut out all fizzy drinks, so im mostly on water whit the occasional coffee and maybe a fresh squeezed OJ on a Sunday morning as a treat.
    I'm also using things like beans and lentils to have a few vegetarian meals per week.

Hopefully this will work - I'm not too fixated with a number on a scales - but i'll know when I'm happier with the look of my body.

I guess its just hard to fit in more than 3 gym trips a week while still having a full time job and a life!

Thanks both.

Yes, I'm also being very conscious of my diet, trying to eat as many whole foods as possible and cooking from scratch as much as I can. I'm focusing on good nutrition rather than buying processed low fat products, and changing to things like brown rice, and cooking with (a small amount) coconut oil. I also only buy good quality meat and fish from the butcher/fishmonger. I'm also bulking out my meals with salads and other veg to keep my carb portions in check.
    I've totally cut out all fizzy drinks, so im mostly on water whit the occasional coffee and maybe a fresh squeezed OJ on a Sunday morning as a treat.
    I'm also using things like beans and lentils to have a few vegetarian meals per week.

Hopefully this will work - I'm not too fixated with a number on a scales - but i'll know when I'm happier with the look of my body.

I guess its just hard to fit in more than 3 gym trips a week while still having a full time job and a life!

all that is good and great.

If 3 times a week is the max you can make it , I'd suggest after a few weeks you go do a programme then do a spinning class in one visit.
    Or do two classes in succession - assuming your gym offers more than just a singular spin class ..
    3 times a week.

currently you are only exercising 2 1/4 hours a week. Which is fine initially but you will eventually out grow this. A bit more training coupled with your improved diet will see big changes and faster ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

2 spinning classes in a row? If you are really going at spinning 100% this is a lot to expect. Spinning (when done well) is based on HIIT principles and sustaining this kind of activity for more than 40-45 minutes is a lot to ask imo. You could definitely do do endurance type sessions back to back when you have built up you fitness, and there is definitely a place for that kind of training too, but that would be different to spinning classes.

Spinning is one of those things that never gets easier if you are going it right - you are just able to go faster/with more power as you get fitter/stronger. You can always scale it up by working harder.

• Advertisement

2 spinning classes in a row? If you are really going at spinning 100% this is a lot to expect. Spinning (when done well) is based on HIIT principles and sustaining this kind of activity for more than 40-45 minutes is a lot to ask imo. You could definitely do do endurance type sessions back to back when you have built up you fitness, and there is definitely a place for that kind of training too, but that would be different to spinning classes.

Spinning is one of those things that never gets easier if you are going it right - you are just able to go faster/with more power as you get fitter/stronger. You can always scale it up by working harder.

Thanks Caviardreams - my instinct is to agree on the point of multiple spinning classes. I think if faced with the prospect of sitting on the bike for 90minutes at a time, it would be hard to maintain the same intensity.

Some of the class times have a 15minute core class either immediate before or after so i might try to tie that in also.

I also do some less formal exercise at the weekend, like walking
    Howth head or the Sugar Loaf weather permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Perhaps you could add in some weights before or after your spinning class?

This will help increase your metabolic rate and the amount of calories you burn even while resting.

Spinning combined with a weights program would keep thing varied and give you better over all results.

i didn't mean 2 spinning classes in a row.
    I meant another class - assuming the gym doesn't offer only spinning .

or as I stated above - a program plus spinning would be my personal preference

I don't really agree , eventually you reach a limitation when improvement is minimal. Not saying it's not a great exercise , I love spinning and being going to classes for years.
    But limiting it to 3 classes a week and that's it will eventually mean you aren't getting the best bang for your buck and limiting your development in whatever you want to achieve , which in the OPs case is improved body comp.

anyway we're off on a mad one here.

OP , spin away !

• Registered Users Posts: 19 juicydublin

Slimming world is incredible for fat loss if you'd be willing to change up your food routines! that will your work outs would work wonders! i'm a target member and couldn't speak more highly about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I love spinning. I hate that feeling where your legs nearly give way at the end when you stand up though! You sound like you're doing great so far but like other said, some weights on either side of your class would really stand to you. You will look better with some weight training than you would without, even at the same weight. Good luck :)

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I love spinning. I hate that feeling where your legs nearly give way at the end when you stand up though! You sound like you're doing great so far but like other said, some weights on either side of your class would really stand to you. You will look better with some weight training than you would without, even at the same weight. Good luck :)

Yeah thats probably sensible alright. There is a strength and conditioning class (40mins) at 9.30am on Saturdays (Gulp!) so maybe I could try to go to that before the OH even notices I'm gone!

Slimming world is incredible for fat loss if you'd be willing to change up your food routines! that will your work outs would work wonders! i'm a target member and couldn't speak more highly about it!

Never done slimming world, but have done Weight Watchers in the past. I have taken recipies off the SW website before and its a good source of inspiration.

Only thing is this is another activity for me to attend weekly and I'm a bit time pressed as it is! Has anyone any experience with their online programme?

I've tried online programme before and using various apps etc. I struggle to motivate myself so having someone give me the look of pity when I haven't lost is what keeps me going haha :) It's different for different people though. If you diet is good already and you know you're not consuming too many calories, then I wouldn't see the need for a weight loss group really. I'm just lazy and need the kick up the rear!

I've tried online programme before and using various apps etc. I struggle to motivate myself so having someone give me the look of pity when I haven't lost is what keeps me going haha :) It's different for different people though. If you diet is good already and you know you're not consuming too many calories, then I wouldn't see the need for a weight loss group really. I'm just lazy and need the kick up the rear!

Being very honest, my diet is largely ok but I do have the odd disaster. I'm very good about 80% of the time but I tend to slip while out socializing, but trying to keep that in check. I love food and trying new restaurants etc.

When I'm cooking at home, I make everything from scratch, but when I'm out I tend to just choose what i like.

And don't even talk to me about red wine!

You want it to be sustainable though so 80% sounds pretty good (obviously if you go out every weekend and eat 20,000 calories then maybe that's not going to work out!). You're allowed the odd treat :)

...wine...nom

You want it to be sustainable though so 80% sounds pretty good (obviously if you go out every weekend and eat 20,000 calories then maybe that's not going to work out!). You're allowed the odd treat :)

...wine...nom

Thanks SillyBeans! I want to make some improvements but I still want to live my life at the same time and not become a zealot!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The secret to any exercise is to find something you like doing.....I joined the gym numerous times only to get bored and tried many classes aerobics, Zumba blah blah. Each time I stopped going and the weight stayed on

Then I discovered spinning and became addicted, I love it! I know I should do another program other days but I know I won't so I just stick with what I enjoy doing and it works. I lost 2.5 stone doing it( with a diet also) and never looked better.

When I was losing the weight I was very strict on myself and gave up drink. It made a massive difference. Now I'm at target I enjoy some wine the weekends but all in moderation

anewme wrote: »
    The secret to any exercise is to find something you like doing.....I joined the gym numerous times only to get bored and tried many classes aerobics, Zumba blah blah. Each time I stopped going and the weight stayed on

Then I discovered spinning and became addicted, I love it! I know I should do another program other days but I know I won't so I just stick with what I enjoy doing and it works. I lost 2.5 stone doing it( with a diet also) and never looked better.

When I was losing the weight I was very strict on myself and gave up drink. It made a massive difference. Now I'm at target I enjoy some wine the weekends but all in moderation

Thanks! Sounds like you're doing what I'm doing but are a few months ahead of me! Do you mind me asking how many times a week you went spinning to loose the weight? Also, what were your drinking habits like before you gave up? what period of time did it take you to get to target?

I suspect my fondness for sitting in with my OH and drinking a bottle of wine might be a bit of a killer for weightless, despite me cooking us healthy dinners every night!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

burning any calories is good for fat loss...well weight loss. I burn around 4000 calories per week on the crosstrainer, but it doesnt matter that it is the crosstrainer or a spinning bike or running for weight loss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement