Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

No way, I shook hands with a roo, can't be eating anything that'll shake your hand.

Peta will be out guerilla training calves to" give the paw"- or the hoof in this case...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

.red. wrote: »
    Picked up one of these, very disappointed with it, the meat was lovely but it was cut very poorly. The bone was about twice as thick as the meat meaning if i was to cook it medium like i usually do, the bone was almost still moving it was so raw. I ended up cutting the bone out and giving it to the dog.
    That's a disaster. They're not difficult to cut. Poor butchering skills. Were was that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

^^^^^^
    From today till Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Always find that stuff disappointing tbh - thought the 'premium' range in the black packets is the business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

cows a cow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Ribeyes and sirloin on offer in
    Supervalu, 33% off at the moment

amber2 wrote: »
    Ribeyes and sirloin on offer in
    Supervalu, 33% off at the moment

Any chance of a price per kg? It's really the only way to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭amber2

Price per kg 14.06 rib eye, sirloin 11.38

Striploin €15.40kg too in Supervalu. Cut nice and thick too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Was in Aldi earlier and picked up a couple of sirloin steaks for €2 each.

Had them for dinner, absolutely savage, for that price they were very good sized and there was virtually no shrinkage.

Gonna head back tomorrow and hopefully stock up on them if there are any left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Had them for dinner, absolutely savage, for that price they were very good sized and there was virtually no shrinkage.

Just came on to post the same thing. Grilled two of them for the dinner and they were savage for €4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

+1 on the €2 sirloin steaks in aldi - they are great, vacuum packaging is very good if you want to stock up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

You're mad on this PPkg stuff. The Aldi offerings for 2€ each are unbeatable. Nowhere will come close to this. I got 4 and I have to say, as did other posters, that they are superb value. Would not be far off 8oz at a guess. I'm heading up now and if there's any left, I'm gonna clear them out.

EDIT: Done!

393805.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

€9.90/kg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

dodzy wrote: »
    You're mad on this PPkg stuff.]

He/she has a point tho.
    A thinly cut or small steak might be €2 and not as much of a bargain as a thicker or bigger steak thats priced at €2.50.
    Comparing price per lb or kg is the only way to know if its an actual bargain or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Seems some very good value from the Scarlet Heifer butcher on the southside of Dublin
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/product/enjoy-the-red-meat-revolution-from-award-winning-scarlet-heifer-from-only-e25/?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydealpage.ie%2F&vxaf-ctr=4310128&vxaf-ref=Q7SSVR&src=vendexo

Option 1 – Steak Combo Deal
    5 x 8oz Sirloin Steaks
    5 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €25 – 60% OFF
    Option 2 – Hero Steak Pack
    10 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €35 – HALF PRICE

10 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €35 – HALF PRICE

Option 3 – Sizzling BBQ Pack
    2 x Sirloin Fillet Steaks
    5 x Marinated Loin Pork Chops
    5 x Steak Burgers
    5 x Chicken Drumsticks
    5 x Chicken Fillets
    5 x Marinated Chicken Skewers
    10 x Spicy Piri Piri Chicken Wings
    10 x BBQ Jumbo Sausages
    All for €25 – 40% OFF

Option 4 – Ultimate Dry Aged Steak Pack

2 x 10oz T Bone Steaks
    2 x 8oz Ribeye Steaks
    2 x 8oz Striploin Steaks
    2 x 6oz Fillet Steaks
    2 x 10oz Sirloin Steaks
    All for €40 – 45% OFF

Option 4 there claims to be dry aged steaks which pack a lot more flavour than wet aged ones. At €4 a steak for dry aged it seems terrific value.

Has anyone ever bought from this butcher before, if so how did you find the produce?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Seems some very good value from the Scarlet Heifer butcher on the southside of Dublin
    http://thetaste.ie/wp/product/enjoy-the-red-meat-revolution-from-award-winning-scarlet-heifer-from-only-e25/?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mydealpage.ie%2F&vxaf-ctr=4310128&vxaf-ref=Q7SSVR&src=vendexo

5 x 8oz Sirloin Steaks
    5 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €25 – 60% OFF
    10 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €35 – HALF PRICE

10 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €35 – HALF PRICE

5 x Steak Burgers
    5 x Chicken Drumsticks
    5 x Chicken Fillets
    10 x BBQ Jumbo Sausages
    All for €25 – 40% OFF

2 x 10oz T Bone Steaks
    2 x 8oz Ribeye Steaks
    2 x 8oz Striploin Steaks
    2 x 6oz Fillet Steaks
    2 x 10oz Sirloin Steaks
    All for €40 – 45% OFF

Option 4 there claims to be dry aged steaks which pack a lot more flavour than wet aged ones. At €4 a steak for dry aged it seems terrific value.

Has anyone ever bought from this butcher before, if so how did you find the produce?

Is it legal to sell by the oz these days? I thought all measurements had to be metric system by law.

Is it legal to sell by the oz these days? I thought all measurements had to be metric system by law.

You might be onto something, i called to my local butcher today for a lb of mince and he couldn't sell it to me for fear of being brought to court. He would only sell it if I asked for 454 grams.

• Advertisement

You might be onto something, i called to my local butcher today for a lb of mince and he couldn't sell it to me for fear of being brought to court. He would only sell it if I asked for 454 grams.

Really? I've been a butcher for 11 years and that's the first I heard of that "law" I always deal with customers that only know ounces and pounds, but I tell them what it is in grams. Button on the scales converts it for me if they are not sure.

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Really? I've been a butcher for 11 years and that's the first I heard of that "law" I always deal with customers that only know ounces and pounds, but I tell them what it is in grams. Button on the scales converts it for me if they are not sure.

Ha ha, some people just don't get sarcasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well try going into a pub and asking for 568 milliliters of beer and see if you are understood :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well try going into a pub and asking for 568 milliliters of beer and see if you are understood :rolleyes:

I always try but they say ya can have a pint and shut up or get the **** out :D

Just in case you actually missed the real issue here in your rush to sarcasm, there is a real issue about making it difficult for consumers to compare unit prices by doing something different to other shops.

Haha, this is gone way off topic.
    Just in case you actually missed the real issue here in your rush to sarcasm, there is a real issue about making it difficult for consumers to compare unit prices by doing something different to other shops.

Not really, 99% of restaurants will sell a steak dinner per oz and always have. 10oz striploin and chips, 8oz steak baguette etc.
    Ive seen plenty of 10 oz steaks on menus, never a 283.495 gram steak tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Id also be interested to hear if anyone has bought from the Scarlet Heifer and what the quality was like??

Haha, this is gone way off topic.

Not really, 99% of restaurants will sell a steak dinner per oz and always have. 10oz striploin and chips, 8oz steak baguette etc.
    Ive seen plenty of 10 oz steaks on menus, never a 283.495 gram steak tho.
    I'm not talking about menus and restaurants. I'm talking about butchers and supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'm not talking about menus and restaurants. I'm talking about butchers and supermarkets.

Apparently it's grand for food to be sold in imperial measures. It was due to be phased out in 2009 but the EU relented.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-pint-safe-after-measured-eu-move-1.812011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

5 x 8oz Sirloin Steaks
    5 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €25 – 60% OFF
    10 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €35 – HALF PRICE

10 x 5oz Fillet Steaks
    All for €35 – HALF PRICE

5 x Steak Burgers
    5 x Chicken Drumsticks
    5 x Chicken Fillets
    10 x BBQ Jumbo Sausages
    All for €25 – 40% OFF

2 x 10oz T Bone Steaks
    2 x 8oz Ribeye Steaks
    2 x 8oz Striploin Steaks
    2 x 6oz Fillet Steaks
    2 x 10oz Sirloin Steaks
    All for €40 – 45% OFF

Is the offer over? I don't seem to get an option to purchase.

Advertisement