Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Finally some progress. Mortgage is being drawn down tomorrow, house insurance sorted so hopefully we'll be closing soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Finally some progress. Mortgage is being drawn down tomorrow, house insurance sorted so hopefully we'll be closing soon...

Brilliant! Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Wahoo Hawkeye sounds great!

Well we've viewed 8 but got word this evening that we can't have the deposit exemption so that means the budget has been cut. However, the two out of the eight we happened to really like are under budget thank God. We like them both so much we are ringing back to organise a second viewing though we do still have one more in our budget to view tomorrow evening. Going to get the Father in law to take a look at them with us (he's an electrician). So excited. Buzzing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Congrats, our journeys are coming to an end :)

We're doing lots of chats the last two days!! A couple of questions to those who have gone before us if you don't mind :)

-Has anyone done a rough guide price to a basic redecoration of a 3 bed semi (not including electrics etc?) but including windows/patio?
    -Does anyone know a ball park on how much it would cost to redo electrics in an older 3 bed semi?
    -Do we need anything specific when we make an offer? Like we have our letter of approval, how do you actually make an offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Santy2015 wrote: »
    Congrats, our journeys are coming to an end :)

Hopefully the end of one stressful journey and start of am exciting new one.

Got the outstanding balance from the solicitor this morning... getting closer....

Wahoo Hawkeye sounds great!

Well we've viewed 8 but got word this evening that we can't have the deposit exemption so that means the budget has been cut. However, the two out of the eight we happened to really like are under budget thank God. We like them both so much we are ringing back to organise a second viewing though we do still have one more in our budget to view tomorrow evening. Going to get the Father in law to take a look at them with us (he's an electrician). So excited. Buzzing!

So exciting! So you've got a couple that may turn out to be "the one"! Enjoy this time, I'm awful jealous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Leinstergirl

We bought our first home last November and we needed roughly €9000 for our deposit but you will also need roughly€5000- €6000 on top of this for all your extra costs eg solicitors, registration etc etc. But also take into account if your house is not going to be livable straight away the extra rent etc you will have to pay along with mortgage.

Good luck with the mortgage and picking the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

We're doing lots of chats the last two days!! A couple of questions to those who have gone before us if you don't mind :)

-Has anyone done a rough guide price to a basic redecoration of a 3 bed semi (not including electrics etc?) but including windows/patio?
    -Does anyone know a ball park on how much it would cost to redo electrics in an older 3 bed semi?
    -Do we need anything specific when we make an offer? Like we have our letter of approval, how do you actually make an offer?

Depends on want the redecoration to include?
    What do you mean "redo electrics"? What needs to be done?
    Some estate agents require a copy of your letter of approval. Usually you place your bid over the phone and then confirm with an email address.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Depends on want the redecoration to include?
    What do you mean "redo electrics"? What needs to be done?
    Some estate agents require a copy of your letter of approval. Usually you place your bid over the phone and then confirm with an email address.

Sorry, the house we're viewing later is a receiver property and has been torn apart. It would also be a much older house so I'm looking at worst case scenario for a complete rewire.

Some googling is giving something like this but its very hard to tell because posts are older etc

Windows 7000
    Kitchen 5000
    Bathroom 4000
    Toilet DS? 1500
    Stair/Landing Carpet 400
    3 Bedroom Carpets 1200

• Advertisement

Complete re-wire 5000-8000 I was quoted.

Super thanks. We want to have ball park what we will need to spend on things in our head before viewing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Complete re-wire 5000-8000 I was quoted.

Mind me asking what size/type house that was?

Still waiting to hear if our bid has been accepted or matched today. Dying to know.

Naid23 wrote: »
    Mind me asking what size/type house that was?

Still waiting to hear if our bid has been accepted or matched today. Dying to know.

That was for a 2 bed bungalow.

We didn't actually need a full re-wire. We just thought we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Solicitor just emailed to say he's received replies from the vendor solicitor for all his requests so we're going in tomorrow to go over the contracts :D I can't tell you how excited I am, getting out of our current living situation can't come quick enough!

That was for a 2 bed bungalow.

We didn't actually need a full re-wire. We just thought we did.

Cheers. House we are bidding on needs a bit of work so if its needed, will get it rewired while the work is being done - If we get it :)

Naid23 wrote: »
    Cheers. House we are bidding on needs a bit of work so if its needed, will get it rewired while the work is being done - If we get it :)

oh you are further than us if you are bidding on one needing work!!

We are a little torn right now. Three potential houses

1. 245 current offer. Our favourite, beautiful house-everything we ever dreamed of and no changes needed even cosmetically. Tenants have moved out, house is ready to purchase. Negatives: on a pyrite estate (certified and remedied), one parking space designated on street. The other we would be free for all.

2. 230 asking,no offers. Our next best option. Big house and layout is decent. Huge shed in back garden, extension to kitchen and parking. Negatives: Location and area nowhere near as good and two neighbours on the row seem to be... um.. interesting. They are not attached or I'd be eliminating it. Also potentially needs to be rewired, doesn't even have a proper fuse board. Kitchen extension is an odd layout and I would want to edit it slightly. It is owner occupied and we would be in a chain.

3. 210 asking, first viewings this week. Receiver sale. The house is a blank canvas as everything has been ripped out right down to carpets. Two parking spaces. Negatives: Needs to be completely redone from top to bottom. Could not move in until several weeks work are done. Potentially needs far more than the 35k difference between its asking and house number one spent on it. Receiver sale could be awkward

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be eliminating option 2 out of hand tbh mirrorwall14. If you're not happy with the location or the neighbours, there's nothing you can do about it.

What area are you looking in? We're buying at about the same price level (230k with a further 17k in the tank for furnishing and redecoration incl. a new kitchen, appliances and bathroom suite) and found the best value was in North County Dublin. Actually, since we're closing tomorrow, here's what we're buying: [REDACTED - don't need all of boards.ie knowing my new address] :)

It's structurally solid and we like the layout but literally every room has to be refreshed somehow or other...

Sleepy wrote: »

What area are you looking in? We're buying at about the same price level (230k with a further 17k in the tank for furnishing and redecoration incl. a new kitchen, appliances and bathroom suite) and found the best value was in North County Dublin. Actually, since we're closing tomorrow, here's what we're buying:)

It's structurally solid and we like the layout but literally every room has to be refreshed somehow or other...

Well if I wasn't jealous before!! Lovely, like you say, few adjustments and it will be stunning! Very excited for you :)

A few adjustments is putting it mildly but, yeah, very exciting and a good size for the money in the Dublin area.

• Advertisement

A few adjustments is putting it mildly but, yeah, very exciting and a good size for the money in the Dublin area.

Ah sure its an exciting (albeit very expensive) project that you can put your heart and energy into! It's brilliant,fair play

Thats fab Tasden, so much potential!! You are right, my instinct is definitely a no to the second to be honest. And if i'm picking between one and three then there is no comparison. The first house is literally the house of my dreams (assuming I don't win the lotto, if i do I want this lol)

Thats fab Tasden, so much potential!! You are right, my instinct is definitely a no to the second to be honest. And if i'm picking between one and three then there is no comparison. The first house is literally the house of my dreams (assuming I don't win the lotto, if i do I want this lol)

Oh its not mine, I'm just an admirer!!

I'd be eliminating option 2 out of hand tbh mirrorwall14. If you're not happy with the location or the neighbours, there's nothing you can do about it.

What area are you looking in? We're buying at about the same price level (230k with a further 17k in the tank for furnishing and redecoration incl. a new kitchen, appliances and bathroom suite) and found the best value was in North County Dublin. Actually, since we're closing tomorrow, here's what we're buying: :)

They were fond of the colour green weren't they? :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm assuming that when my solicitor said go over the contracts, he meant to sign them too? He added that we would need to pay the remaining balance when signing and gave bank details. I hope it's to sign them, I wouldn't see a point on going over there just to look at them but not actually do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

oh you are further than us if you are bidding on one needing work!!

We are a little torn right now. Three potential houses

1. 245 current offer. Our favourite, beautiful house-everything we ever dreamed of and no changes needed even cosmetically. Tenants have moved out, house is ready to purchase. Negatives: on a pyrite estate (certified and remedied), one parking space designated on street. The other we would be free for all.

2. 230 asking,no offers. Our next best option. Big house and layout is decent. Huge shed in back garden, extension to kitchen and parking. Negatives: Location and area nowhere near as good and two neighbours on the row seem to be... um.. interesting. They are not attached or I'd be eliminating it. Also potentially needs to be rewired, doesn't even have a proper fuse board. Kitchen extension is an odd layout and I would want to edit it slightly. It is owner occupied and we would be in a chain.

3. 210 asking, first viewings this week. Receiver sale. The house is a blank canvas as everything has been ripped out right down to carpets. Two parking spaces. Negatives: Needs to be completely redone from top to bottom. Could not move in until several weeks work are done. Potentially needs far more than the 35k difference between its asking and house number one spent on it. Receiver sale could be awkward

From your descriptions, i think i know where houses 2 and 3 are, i'd be going for house 3, far nicer estate, can add value to it and would do for a long time.
    House 1- the majority of people will have 2 cars i presume if it's in Nth. Kildare, it will be hassle in the long run. If you have kids you could be parking around the corner with kids, shopping etc.Are their management fees for the shared area?

Finally have you looked in Castletown estate, a nice 3 bed on the market there the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

anyone else on here stuck in probate limbo?
    we went sale agreed in the middle of March, contracts signed end of May and we are still waiting for probate to come back to complete the sale even though we have been assured it has been expedited once we signed contracts.
    So frustrating as we cant plan anything and the probate office dont provide updates on applications

They were fond of the colour green weren't they? :pac::D
    You should see the kitchen in detail. Those weren't green units or tiles originally. It's matt green emulsion that was plastered all over it! :eek:

You should see the kitchen in detail. Those weren't green units or tiles originally. It's matt green emulsion that was plastered all over it! :eek:

Haha looks like they painted the dishwasher aswel - thats gas!
    Lovely house sleepy. Delighted for you. :)

• Advertisement

Yep, that they did, and the fridge...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement