Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

Wouldn’t say nothing nothing but legally, yes.

EirT, it’s enough to get you talking to estate agents and putting bids on houses. When you’ve found a place you’ll be assessed by their underwriters, only they will say exactly what you can borrow and over how long.

Exactly for instance I have my eye on a final release due any day now . AIP gives me the right to put a deposit down. Without it I can't . Far from "nothing "

BOI application approved for exception and currently with underwriters

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭andydurnin

Hi. I get half way through the Help to Buy form online and it asks Please apportion the group's total refund available between all group members.

When I try, is says Amount entered is greater than relief available. Please review.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Abbey127

Hi myself and my partner have gotten a bit of money from our parent's towards building or own home. we have land . How does it work with the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

tigger123 wrote: »
    GingerLily wrote: »
    PTSB process your full application before giving AIP, AIB just put your basics in a calculator, very different

Did you have a bad experience with AIB? Were you told you'd be approved and then weren't for some reason?

The AIP we got approved for was about 4.5 times income, we were approved initially for 3.5, full credit approval, and then we increased our application to 3.65.

Went to PTSB to get cash back but it took 3 weeks before we actually were given AIP, the loan pack came days later

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

andydurnin wrote: »
    Hi. I get half way through the Help to Buy form online and it asks Please apportion the group's total refund available between all group members.

When I try, is says Amount entered is greater than relief available. Please review.

Each person will have an amount available for HTB refund based on tax paid in years selected eg Person A -> 14000, Person B 12000
    Let's say you can get 20k refund, in the box you can choose to claim 10k back from each person or split whichever way you want where the max you can pick for a person is the total refund available to them.
    Also note that you can only claim 5% of the price

• Advertisement

The two of you will have different amounts that you can claim, you both should have a copy of how much you've been individually approved for.

To be sure we made sure we didn't use the full amount from either applicant

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭andydurnin

The two of you will have different amounts that you can claim, you both should have a copy of how much you've been individually approved for.

Where you find a copy of how much we been individually approved for

Where you find a copy of how much we been individually approved for

There should be a message sent to your Revenue inbox

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Uncle_Joe

Hi Guys,

Apologies if these are silly questions, but I'm sure some of you have been here before on this, so appreciate what experienced heads reading this might say :-)

I have a nice deposit saved and am now ready to approach the big bad world of mortgage approval. So, with that in mind...

I have a Revolut account (which I love) and I use it quite a bit. I have an audible account, I use it for Amazon purchases (and other UK sites) and generally for any online shopping (euro or sterling). I also use it when I go on holiday. I see it as a separate wallet where I can neatly compartmentalise finances that I know I need or budget for.

Therefore my top ups are infrequent and can be in the region of a couple of hundred euro or a tenner here and there.

I have also used it for some online gambling. Bear in mind that I've only have used it for this about three times over the last 7-8 months and the amounts bet were like €5 or €6 at a time.

These Revolut activities have never hampered my savings of which I save €1000 per month or the paying of my rent €650 + €50 incidentals per month.

Will the bank request to see these Revolut statements or should I just include them upfront before they're requested? Will these small gambling bets incur their wrath? :-/

Also, I had a credit card debt of around €1600 which I cleared in one foul swoop a couple of weeks back - I sold some things in the gaff that I no longer use or needed, sold a voucher I got from work to a family member and used what I could in my bank account to clear the balance - again not affecting my savings/rent commitments. I don't have any other liabilities or debts - just wanted to have a cleared C/card before going to the banks looking for a mortgage. Trying to do the right thing! But I've read clearing debts like this raises flags? :-|

Oh and I don't have any utility bills, as I have a work phone and I share electricity/Internet/bins but they're not in my name. However I do have letters (proper mailed bank statements) that show proof of address. I assume these would suffice?

Phew! That's it for now... a weekend of filling out paper work shall commence!

Appreciate any advise guys! Much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Bring in every statement you have.
    In my experience it is exponentially better that they do not have to ask for explanation of anything.

Contrary to popular belief, gambling outgoings are not a problem in small doses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

EriT wrote: »

Regarding the time of year - aib mentioned that at the end of the year the stress test was changed from 3000 after mortgage payment for a couple to 4200. I'm assuming this was due to the fact they gave to many early.
    :)

Starting in the road towards a new mortgage because selling to move . Joint applicationthis time. I must be completely under a rock cos how much??? We pay 1200/ month on childcare! So would have max 2500 left over!! Is this a Dublin/ city thing because of the prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

paddles wrote: »
    Starting in the road towards a new mortgage because selling to move . Joint applicationthis time. I must be completely under a rock cos how much??? We pay 1200/ month on childcare! So would have max 2500 left over!! Is this a Dublin/ city thing because of the prices?

I think goes numbers are only if you want an exemption from the 3.5 LTI limit. If you stay within the central bank limits its more like 2300 after stress tested mortgage payments.

By the way they’ll also knock 200-250 off per child, after childcare is paid. They don’t count child benefit as income either.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭EriT

paddles wrote: »
    tobsey wrote: »
    I think goes numbers are only if you want an exemption from the 3.5 LTI limit. If you stay within the central bank limits its more like 2300 after stress tested mortgage payments.

By the way they’ll also knock 200-250 off per child, after childcare is paid. They don’t count child benefit as income either.

Correct it was a requirement for an exemption to the 3.5 rule

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Hi, I'm reading here of ppl being offer rates of 2.6, when I've questioned the banks on my side I'm being offered 3.0 and nothing else. Why is this ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Old Perry wrote: »
    Hi, I'm reading here of ppl being offer rates of 2.6, when I've questioned the banks on my side I'm being offered 3.0 and nothing else. Why is this ? Thanks.

Are you asking the right bank? UB do the 2.6 fixed rate, I think for 4 years.

Just boi and kbc so far. Does anything else have an effect on rate offered, LTV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

KBC have 2 year and 3 year fixed for 2.6%? You must be talking about variable rate @3%?

Most people are talking about the 2.5/2.6 and so on rates are usually referring to a fixed rate and not a variable rate. Usually a variable rate is higher than fixed, so that’s where you may be getting the 3% from KBC? If you ask about fixing you will get a lower one!
    Just boi and kbc so far. Does anything else have an effect on rate offered, LTV?

bri007 wrote: »
    KBC have 2 year and 3 year fixed for 2.6%? You must be talking about variable rate @3%?

Most people are talking about the 2.5/2.6 and so on rates are usually referring to a fixed rate and not a variable rate. Usually a variable rate is higher than fixed, so that’s where you may be getting the 3% from KBC? If you ask about fixing you will get a lower one!

It is fixed rate I've been offered. 3% when I questioned was that negotiable as I've seen lower rates I got some spiel about that's the rate being offered now and that's that. Any guesses as to why this might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

It is fixed rate I've been offered. 3% when I questioned was that negotiable as I've seen lower rates I got some spiel about that's the rate being offered now and that's that. Any guesses as to why this might be?

How long are you looking for the rate?
    Some Banks won't have the same fixed rate for 1 year vs 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

What do you mean spiel? That’s the rate they offer and if you want lower then go to a different bank. This isn’t booking.com who will price match a hotel room if you find a lower rate, this is probably the biggest decision of your life. You need to visit as many banks as you can and pick the one you’re happiest with.

• Advertisement

Try a broker, they will try a certain amount of banks and get you the best rate and you pick which one to go for.

You give all your documents and they approach the banks on your behalf and you don’t have to apply to each individual bank yourself.

As previous poster said, shop around for best rate that suits you. Banks are profit orientated unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

We verbally had a bid accepted on a house late last week. Assuming we hear from the EA today with confirmation, what are the things we should do immediately, as in the next day or two?

Organise survey, get solicitor, pay booking deposit, apply for mortgage protection?

Definitely start looking for mortgage protection, especially if you or your partner have any health issues at all, may need letters from GP, consultants etc.

Booking deposit probably needs to be paid first as that’s 💯 refundable. Then look at getting a surveyor, but certainly look for mortgage protection ASAP is my advice.
    We verbally had a bid accepted on a house late last week. Assuming we hear from the EA today with confirmation, what are the things we should do immediately, as in the next day or two?

Organise survey, get solicitor, pay booking deposit, apply for mortgage protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lower LTV will get better rates

• Registered Users Posts: 25 moranr7

I paid a deposit of X for a new home and got HTB for Y. X+Y= the total deposit needed for the house. However, when I reapplied I got more from HTB and now the amount I needed to add for the deposit is less. So there is a surplus deposit paid by us. Our solicitor said the surplus will be deducted from the house price on closing. Is there no way we can request to get the surplus deposit back rather than it being deducted from the total amount to be drawn down?

Thanks,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

moranr7 wrote: »
    I paid a deposit of X for a new home and got HTB for Y. X+Y= the total deposit needed for the house. However, when I reapplied I got more from HTB and now the amount I needed to add for the deposit is less. So there is a surplus deposit paid by us. Our solicitor said the surplus will be deducted from the house price on closing. Is there no way we can request to get the surplus deposit back rather than it being deducted from the total amount to be drawn down?

Thanks,

You could force the issue and probably get the extra back now, but honestly there is usually extra costs when the house is finished (things you have requested, like different paint or outside tap etc.) the extra you have paid in deposit will go towards that at the end which can be a bigger benefit than taking that money now.

food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 moranr7

You could force the issue and probably get the extra back now, but honestly there is usually extra costs when the house is finished (things you have requested, like different paint or outside tap etc.) the extra you have paid in deposit will go towards that at the end which can be a bigger benefit than taking that money now.

food for thought.
    Thanks, We have the final cost and no extra additions. I assumed it wouldn't be an issue, but it appears it may be for some reason. Solicitor is avoiding calls the last couple of days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

moranr7 wrote: »
    Thanks, We have the final cost and no extra additions. I assumed it wouldn't be an issue, but it appears it may be for some reason. Solicitor is avoiding calls the last couple of days.

If you have the final costs I would assume the house is finished and ready to move into? If that's the case given that you are so close to moving in they are probably waiting until closing to make it easier for themselves (which is annoying).

Have you paid your stamp duty, folio fees etc yet?
    Money could go towards that if not.

Honestly if you have all paid up, and are not closing in very soon, I would force the issue. No harm visiting their office if they don't answer your calls

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

bri007 wrote:
    Try a broker, they will try a certain amount of banks and get you the best rate and you pick which one to go for.

Be aware that brokers will only come back with offers from banks that they deal with.
    AIB and BOI don't so you will miss out if their rates suit better or if they may offer better chance of exemption.
    I had better success dealing with the bank directly AND it was a lot quicker than the broker.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

food for thought.
    It might not.

Sometimes these sort of changes and additional costs are dealt with outside of the house purchase itself, and don't go through the developer at all. You go directly to the painter / plumber / electrician or whatever and pay them separately.

To do that, he'd need the money back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement