Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LauraMarieA

hanaimai wrote: »
    We bought a new build and didn't even get the contracts for 2 months so you could be totally fine.

This would be a good scenario! Any possibility this could be Cairn? We were actually hoping to claim help to buy in the new year as we would be entitled to the full 5% after paying tax this year so it would be good if this happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

This would be a good scenario! Any possibility this could be Cairn? We were actually hoping to claim help to buy in the new year as we would be entitled to the full 5% after paying tax this year so it would be good if this happened!

Yup, it was Cairn! Our house was even done (we got a cancellation) and it still took them that long. They're very slow, also took them several weeks to respond to our solicitors queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Honestfrank01

Looking for advice so we have signed and exchanged contracts about 6 weeks now only thing holding up the show Is the vendor is to purchase the ground rents from the county council to make property a freehold. I was advised this would not slow down the sale but I am concerned as closing date on contracts said 3 weeks from both parties sign this has gone on now 3 weeks over that time frame. Anyone gone through this or know how long this process would take on vendors side seem to be left in the dark any info would be appreciated cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We collected the keys to our new house yesterday evening. The massive excitement of finally getting keys then gave way to realising that I’m going to have to get layers of woodchip wallpaper off the walls.

On a serious note, this thread and this forum has been part of our house hunting process for the last 9 months. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dudara wrote: »
    We collected the keys to our new house yesterday evening. The massive excitement of finally getting keys then gave way to realising that I’m going to have to get layers of woodchip wallpaper off the walls.

On a serious note, this thread and this forum has been part of our house hunting process for the last 9 months. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences

Whoo, congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭snowflake1989

Whoo, congrats.

Congrats

May i ask was the pricess of going sale agreed to getting the keys a long one for you? Interested in how long the process can take as we went sale agreed two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Congrats

May i ask was the pricess of going sale agreed to getting the keys a long one for you? Interested in how long the process can take as we went sale agreed two weeks ago

it depends. weeks for some many months for others

your solicitor should be able to give some indication on your specific case

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

would it be frowned upon to put in an offer each on two separate houses from the same estate agent?

we viewed two houses this morning with the same estate agent (same individual in fact!) and liked both. would like to put in offers of different amounts on each and see what happens but don't want to sour our relationship with the agent. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Goose76 wrote: »
    would it be frowned upon to put in an offer each on two separate houses from the same estate agent?

we viewed two houses this morning with the same estate agent (same individual in fact!) and liked both. would like to put in offers of different amounts on each and see what happens but don't want to sour our relationship with the agent. thanks.

I would ask the EA to be kept updated on the progress of one and actively bid on the preferred house. That way your not inflating to price of two properties and the EA will understand your motivations!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Anybody overpaying their mortgage each month?

BOI will allow you to overpay by up to 10% or 65 euro whichever is higher. In my case it would reduce the loan term by 2.5 years and reduce overall interest considerably.

Seems worthwhile once you can afford the extra few quid each month.

Is there any catch to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Is there any catch to this?

Why would you think there's a catch?

The 10% is only for the duration of the fixed term, then you can go at it anyway you like afaik

limnam wrote:
    Why would you think there's a catch?

Because it a bank. They don't usually offer anything that doesn't in some way, shape or form benefit them.

This does look straight forward though I am just making sure

Duplicate

The app is woeful lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For us, it was the bones of 3 months. The vendors solicitors didn’t send contracts until about 4 weeks after and we signed our side about 2 weeks later. It took the vendors another 2-3 weeks to sign theirs. Then it took some time to draw down the funds. But it all happened very quickly in the end, and we got the keys 4 days earlier than planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Hi are there any HTB experts in this thread? I asked a question last week in the HTB thread but it didn't get an answer. Thanks!

Hi are there any HTB experts in this thread? I asked a question last week in the HTB thread but it didn't get an answer. Thanks!
    What was you question?

Posters generally share their own experiences so if it's a unique case you may be out of luck

When we initially applied, my partner and I both applied separately as I had trouble adding her to my application.

Now a few weeks later all issues are sorted but we have two applications. Mine says waiting on her to confirm membership, while hers is under review, with me as a member and an application number.

I was just wondering should I just cancel my application and let my partners one proceed?

When we initially applied, my partner and I both applied separately as I had trouble adding her to my application.

Now a few weeks later all issues are sorted but we have two applications. Mine says waiting on her to confirm membership, while hers is under review, with me as a member and an application number.

I was just wondering should I just cancel my application and let my partners one proceed?

Probably best yes, you can always ring revenue if your in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭AppleBottle

Went sale agreed on two houses today! Big decision to be made this evening on which one. Anyone have experience on going sale agreed on two properties? Feel bad that we will have to go back to one and back out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,401 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Went sale agreed on two houses today! Big decision to be made this evening on which one. Anyone have experience on going sale agreed on two properties? Feel bad that we will have to go back to one and back out of it.

Strange position to be in.......
    Only you know the specifics on both houses and what's important to you.

Write down the pros and cons of each house as you see them.
    Work it out based on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Not been in that position but is it worth getting a pre-purchase survey done on both properties before you choose? Sh1tty on the sellers but you might as well make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Don’t feel bad, it’s a perfectly normal thing to happen when you’re trying to buy a house. A similar thing happened to us. We had a bid in on House1 and felt we were getting closer to the price the owners would accept. Then while we were waiting to hear back, another house came on the market that we preferred. We quickly agreed a price with the owners, and then a few days later the estate agent for House1 came back and said the owners would accept our offer. I told them our situation, we took a few days to think it over and went with the second house.

The first house sold a week or two later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Phone revenue, they are very easy to deal with in terms of HTB and will answer the phone until 7 in the evening! They should be able to combine the application.
    (At least they were able to combine it for me when I had the same issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Yeah I feel sorry for the other bidders, you've inflated the price on both houses so that you have have choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Yeah I feel sorry for the other bidders, you've inflated the price on both houses so that you have have choice...

Interesting I didn't think of it in that way - it's a v fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭tigger123

Don't feel bad. In this market the house you dont choose will sell pretty sharply.

My advice would be to draw up a list of things important to you and your partner (location, schools, garden, commute etc etc) and then prioritise the items on list. Whichever house ticks more boxes on your priorities is the house you should choose.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What should they have done, only bid on one house to end up being out bid and find out the other house sold for under their budget and so missing out on buying any house.

They havn't inflated the house price if the other bidder wants they can keep their lower bid and see if vendor accepts if not then that is the vendor decision and they are the one setting the price.

OP don't feel bad about bidding on two houses realistically everyone does it, is it ideal no but given the way houses are bought and sold in this country you have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

We went sale agreed on a new build a few weeks ago. Our solicitor received the contracts and send them over to us. He is on annual leave for the week so I am just wondering what the next steps we need to are

Phone revenue, they are very easy to deal with in terms of HTB and will answer the phone until 7 in the evening! They should be able to combine the application.
    (At least they were able to combine it for me when I had the same issue).

So I did this and had to cancel and reapply. A new problem now. It is t combining our tax relief before we hit submit. Why would this be?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

So I did this and had to cancel and reapply. A new problem now. It is t combining our tax relief before we hit submit. Why would this be?

Not sure but my thoughts are:

Have both of you cancelled and reapplied as a group?
    If both applicants appear in the group but its not combining the tax relief then best bet is to call revenue again and have them do the application for you, as there seems to be an error there, where the relief from one of you is still being applied to the previous application and therefore not available for this one.

double check that you have cancelled correctly and reapplied as a group.
    if that fails get back to revenue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement