Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipping???

Options
  • 28-09-2015 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Lads need a bit of help here from fellow boardies :D

I am really struggling with my chipping! Watched so many you tube vids my brain is fryed!

So all the good chippers out there how do you do it?

Where do you position the ball? Front, Middle or Back of stance?

What clubs do you use? (I normally use Pw or 52) but have heard of lads using 7 - 9I :eek:

What about stance? close together or a bit apart?

Do you tilt the club forward? (shaft lean)

Tried the 7-9i approach the weekend still the same problem I'm Blading loads!

Have lost all confidence just when I sorted my biggest weakness which if off the tee!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

This is a fairly risk free way to approach it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭yipsnomore

Strong left hand, cupped left wrist at address makes it easier for me to come in shallow. I can hit the ball cleanly off any position with this setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Used to happen me 20 yards or less to the green. I put my two feet togdther an angle them to 2 o clock. I put the ball behind me so I connect with that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭rollotomasi

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijSB37X5GNA

When chipping, the idea is to get a flatter arc approaching the ball to increase the chance of a decent strike. Playing the ball too far back will require too a precise hit with the leading edge of the club.

Its best to use the bounce of the club and the natural loft of the club.

Ball position is under the sternum - wide or narrow stance doesn't matter too much so long as the ball is positioned here.

The shaft should not have a large forward lean - the hands slightly ahead of the club in line with the ball.

Chip with any club depending on how much run or elevation needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Op, this might be going against conventional advice, but I'd suggest forget about all the videos & techniques, take 6 or 8 balls and go to a chipping green with a few clubs and experiment for a few hours. Try to get some feel back into things and free yourself up.
    I honestly never once think about those things you brought up, ball position, shaft lean, stance etc. etc. There's the ball, now chip it up beside or into the hole. The most technical I ever get if I'm chipping bad, is to feel like the back of my top hand is being almost pulled around past hip my hip (to be honest I don't know if that's even exactly what I do, its just a little key thought I have that gets me back on track if I hit a few poor chips).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'd lean slightly towards Russman on that. My head was wrecked last year from my chipping woes, really started wrecking my head. Skulling, duffing, no one bad shot. I was just becoming rigid over the ball thinking what to do next. Heading to a chipping green with a few balls and challenges can really help. Took a while, but you start to find out what works for you. For me the biggest thing was the grip pressure. Grip it like a small bird they said, with me twas more like grip it like a cliff edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Keeping in line with the recent posts, rather than think analytically about what you are doing, while practice swinging, look up at the hole, and where you want to land the ball, and try to get a feel for the swing required to put the ball there. So as you swing back and forth you are looking at where you are trying to land it. Too often I stand over chips and worry about how to make the stroke, and this subtle change helps me to get a better feel for what you're trying to do. Maybe employ this when using the practice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice vid but probably the first time I've seen P and simple in the same sentence...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

alxmorgan wrote: »
    This is a fairly risk free way to approach it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTCpkYqF8Ig

Do you use this Alxmorgan?

Seems very good in theory for distance control on chipping. Done a bit of research on it last nite and most lads said they used it at some stage and its very effective and after a while you learn to judge it so your not pacing it out all the time.

I'm definitely going to give it ago. Seemly its been around years, but the first I have heard of it!

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    Do you use this Alxmorgan?

Seems very good in theory for distance control on chipping. Done a bit of research on it last nite and most lads said they used it at some stage and its very effective and after a while you learn to judge it so your not pacing it out all the time.

I'm definitely going to give it ago. Seemly its been around years, but the first I have heard of it!

Yes I do use it and it is very effective.
    Obviously you can't use it in all situations but using my own tests my bad shots with this method are better than my bad shots with a more lofted club (e.g. LW)

The other thing I will say when chipping is to get your focus right. Are you trying to hole the chip ? If not then why not. It is possible it can go in ? Of course it is possible so aim to hole every chip.

I had a guy apologise Sun for holing a chip. My reaction was "Well where else would you be aiming to put it ? " :D

I'm good at the edge of green usually use a 7I and have holed quite a few. My problem arises about 5/10 yards from green or when in rough around green.

benny79 wrote: »
    I'm good at the edge of green usually use a 7I and have holed quite a few. My problem arises about 5/10 yards from green or when in rough around green.

5 to 10 yards away then aim to land the ball a few feet on and let it run out to the hole.

In terms of rough that is a tougher one as it depends on the lie etc etc
    I find with these shots I like to open the club a bit more and really commit to it. Lack of commitment to these shots is usually what results in my bad shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Russman wrote: »
    Op, this might be going against conventional advice, but I'd suggest forget about all the videos & techniques, take 6 or 8 balls and go to a chipping green with a few clubs and experiment for a few hours. Try to get some feel back into things and free yourself up.
    I honestly never once think about those things you brought up, ball position, shaft lean, stance etc. etc. There's the ball, now chip it up beside or into the hole. The most technical I ever get if I'm chipping bad, is to feel like the back of my top hand is being almost pulled around past hip my hip (to be honest I don't know if that's even exactly what I do, its just a little key thought I have that gets me back on track if I hit a few poor chips).

This.

I do, always pick a landing zone trouble was I was starting to blade a lot of them! and it was slowly creeping in to my game. but I think it might be not putting weight on my left foot and trusting it. As last few rounds when I was left with a chip first taught was "please dont blade it" and you know what happens then :(

Its getting the time to do this Seve! by the time I get home now its dark. At the weekends Im lucky to get a round in with kids, life etc. summer evenings were great but this has just crept in of late. Just when I'm starting to play well finally from Tee to green.

But appreciate all the advise lads.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

One I was told about this year, and works well for me is "to feel as if someone is pushing your head left". Forces my weight on to the left foot and has definitely reduced my amount of blades significantly. Now whenever I hav a chip my first thought is "weight left" not "please dont blade it"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If you are worried about blading it, then stop straight away with the 52/PW and use a 7 iron. Blading a 7 iron from a pitch shot is difficult to do if you keep the head down. Use it nearly like a putter.

If you can't get out to practice, try even a bit in your back garden. Not the same I know, but it could help. When you are faced with a shot like this during your round, get to your ball quick & take a good few practice swings while others are playing to get the feel. Can't recommend this enough. But then if you have a minute after, retake the shot. If it's a slow round, chip a ball on the tee box while you are waiting. Aim for the tee marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Seve OB wrote: »
    If you are worried about blading it, then stop straight away with the 52/PW and use a 7 iron. Blading a 7 iron from a pitch shot is difficult to do if you keep the head down. Use it nearly like a putter.

I've never seen a good chipper or pitcher keep the head down, it's the worst advice in golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I really enjoyed watching Paul Runyan The Short Way to Lower Scores
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VZ_GdIYaJU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixkCGTsc8Xs

Great b/w footage of him beating Sam Snead for the PGA Championship, particularly how he has to chip over Snead's ball when it is blocking his line.

The videos are from the 80s. He covers loads of shots including some terrible lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lance Murdock

I like that rule of 12 video. Think I'll give that a go.

I tried this, it took away negative thoughts and seemed to make sense and gave me the ability to hit a more confident strike. Thanks for posting!

Hopefully I remember it when I start back in March!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Practice is the only way to get better at short chips. We had this discussion on 60 degree wedges and although a lot of people frowned on their use, I've found that I get the best results from mine. But then I've practised with it so much that it's got quite heavy wear marks on it.

The problem for me with methods like the rule of 12 is that they seem to be predicated on a particular type of green; relatively flat and with nothing in between the ball and the flag.

In reality, there's always a bunker, a heavy slope, a bit of rough or not much green to work with and probably many other considerations that I've not thought of.

The best advice is to find a method that works for you in pretty much every situation you find yourself in when around the green and practice it until you've got the confidence to know you'll be finishing the hole with a one putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I tried this, it took away negative thoughts and seemed to make sense and gave me the ability to hit a more confident strike. Thanks for posting!

Hopefully I remember it when I start back in March!!

I also think this makes sense. A stronger left hand (for right handers) gives me the feeling that I can now slide the club under the ball at a flatter swing arc. Having a neutral left hand somehow, for me anyway, was causing inconsistent contact.

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    I also think this makes sense. A stronger left hand (for right handers) gives me the feeling that I can now slide the club under the ball at a flatter swing arc. Having a neutral left hand somehow, for me anyway, was causing inconsistent contact.

Oh no, you may have broken it now.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

For me the important thing to remember with a chip (as with a put) is make sure to accelerate the club through the point where you hit the ball with a smooth stroke. Some people do all their chipping with one club. I look at how much green there is between the ball and cup then choose a club that will get the ball on the putting surface as soon as possible running at the hole like a put. A rough rule of thumb to think about is to land the ball half way to the hole with PW, 2/3 with SW and 1/3 with a 9 iron... but again aim to land it on the putting surface as soon as possible. Try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭bobster453

Personally I use a few different stances depending on the club and the run I want but I do generally find that standing straight with even weight distribution and letting the bounce of the club do its thing is a lot more consistent than 70% weight forward and closed face
    From now on tho until the spring the 60degree is hibernating and most pitching will be done with PW or even 9iron rather than gap
    Usually I find the softer the ground the more forward weight distribution and closed face suits better
    Having said all that I also use the SW from close in with bunkers in front and hidden lies but focus on breaking the wrists early both in back and forward swing, open stance with club head square to target line and accelerating through the shot tho a lot of practice is required for that one and full comittment to the shot.
    As I wouldnt be a big hitter the majority of my practice time is spent from 70 to 20yrds from the green and putting, lots and lots of putting
    One thing I have done this year and it seems to have helped is play six balls from 50-70yds out with each of clubs from PW,GAP,SW AND LOB and then putt them from wherever they land.One misses you keep going until it goes in.This can easily take an hour to two depending on how many times I play each club, and how poor my putting is.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭bobster453

rrpc wrote: »
    Practice is the only way to get better at short chips. We had this discussion on 60 degree wedges and although a lot of people frowned on their use, I've found that I get the best results from mine. But then I've practised with it so much that it's got quite heavy wear marks on it.

The problem for me with methods like the rule of 12 is that they seem to be predicated on a particular type of green; relatively flat and with nothing in between the ball and the flag.

In reality, there's always a bunker, a heavy slope, a bit of rough or not much green to work with and probably many other considerations that I've not thought of.

The best advice is to find a method that works for you in pretty much every situation you find yourself in when around the green and practice it until you've got the confidence to know you'll be finishing the hole with a one putt.

Excellent post and my thoughts exactly..PS..I love my Lob Wedge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Key thoughts for me.

Good posture - i.e. no crouching.
    Don't reach for it - let the arms and hands hang.
    No tension in the body, relax and use big muscles - don't focus on hands and arms. Use upper body and the arms and hands will be relaxed.
    Good rhythm - slow backswing, wait for it and commit to the hit.

Good luck.

Advertisement