Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IFI Horrorthon 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There's tons of great horror from the 70's and 80's (well early 80's). Most of which completely outclasses shite like 'Scream', or 'From Dusk til Dawn'. The 90's was a period of ridiculously tight censorship from the likes of the BBFC and MPAA. They practically neutered horror into an area of pointlessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

I would pay to see silence of the lambs. Not the others though. Maybe Vocus pocus for nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Tony EH wrote: »
    There's tons of great horror from the 70's and 80's (well early 80's). Most of which completely outclasses shite like 'Scream', or 'From Dusk til Dawn'. The 90's was a period of ridiculously tight censorship from the likes of the BBFC and MPAA. They practically neutered horror into an area of pointlessness.

Yeah but they get shown at every horror/halloween festival. Those 90's movies are only now old enough to have the nostalgia factor attached.

Anyway, the BBFC was much worse in the 80's with all that "video nasty" rubbish.

Yeh, but the video recordings act was directed at videos and spurred on by films made before 1985. Later in that decade and throughout the 90's they were ruthless with pictures that were getting cinema releases being castrated by cuts. It was horrible being a horror fan in the 90's.

As for 70's/80's horror films, there are tons that fans would appreciate seeing on the big screen that rarely get an outing. Something like 'The Sentinel', or even 'Cannibal Ferox'. The original 'Dawn of the Dead' or 'Day of the Dead' would be cool.

'Scream'? :rolleyes: Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I'd hardly call Dawn/Day screenings "rare". Now admittedly I became a horror fan in the early 90s so I can't be truly objective but the decade did have a lot of good stuff. The Maniac Cop and Child's Play sequels were formative for me. Not to mention New Nightmare, Candy man, Nightbreed, The People Under the Stairs, Event Horizon, In the Mouth of Madness, Silence of the Lambs, Seven, etc.

• Advertisement

Well, I have a few years on you so.

I can't recall a screening of Romero's films recently. Maybe I missed them.

As for the films you listed, I'd only count 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Candyman', 'Seven' and 'In the Mouth of Madness' as being worth anything and even then, Carpenter's effort is a guilty pleasure and two of them aren't really horror films. Although I like 'Event Horizon' more than I should.

As someone who cut their teeth on the aforementioned "video nasties", I can never see the 90's as a classic period for horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, I have a few years on you so.

I can't recall a screening of Romero's films recently. Maybe I missed them.

As for the films you listed, I'd only count 'Silence of the Lambs', 'Candyman', 'Seven' and 'In the Mouth of Madness' as being worth anything and even then, Carpenter's effort is a guilty pleasure and two of them aren't really horror films. Although I like 'Event Horizon' more than I should.

As someone who cut their teeth on the aforementioned "video nasties", I can never see the 90's as a classic period for horror.

As part of the JDIFF last year there was a screening of Dawn of the Dead in the Lighthouse that was scored live by Goblin.

It was awesome.

Damn...how did I miss that. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PurplePoodle

Lineup released! http://horrorthon.com/?p=784

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Pretty weak looking line up IMO.

Myself and my wife are away the night TGI is been screened so I can't even get to see it.

Bah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

It's very 2015 new releases centric. That may not be a bad thing if they happen to be good films but a lot of modern horror pales in comparison to the glorious 80s.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Yo! I made a playlist of almost every trailer for this year's Horrorthon, in order of their screening:

If it doesn't play one after the other, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHm8t9fCxeY&list=PLKjsTHExZ2SlVfk1epnfCK2Qk6G3qcXZs

FILMS THAT DON'T HAVE A TRAILER ON YOUTUBE:
    The Invitation http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2400463/ "While attending a dinner party at his former home, a man thinks his ex-wife and her new husband have sinister intentions for their guests."
    Emelie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4503598/ "After their regular babysitter can't make it, the Thompson family turns to her friend Anna to supervise the children while they go out to celebrate their anniversary."
    Scherzo Diabolico http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3951730/ "A bored accountant kidnaps his boss’ teenage daughter, but is unprepared for the brutal vengeance she seeks following her release from captivity."
    I included an interview, only thing on YT. Here's a (useless) clip from Vimeo https://vimeo.com/132054713
    Richard Standley Shorts Programme
    Short Film Showcase
    Surprise Film
    The Nesting Trailer embedded: http://www.28dayslateranalysis.com/2015/02/the-nesting-breaks-with-reality-in-this.html "Following the tragic death of his fiancée, heartbroken Jody retreats to an isolated farmhouse, in which he is plagued by supernatural occurrences suggesting her presence."

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Going through these, notable films being:

Turbo Kid - 80s action movie throwback with gore
    Last Girl Standing - story of a girl post 'horror-film', she survived a massacre but the killer has come back for her
    Goodnight Mommy - mother has facial plastic surgery and her twin kids don't believe that's her under the bandages
    Deathgasm - NZ metal horror/comedy
    Worry Dolls - little wooden trinkets cause curse/voodoo/possession
    Nina Forever - horror comedy/drama: ghost of bloodied ex gf appears when ex-bf tries to sleep with new girl
    The Hallow - Home invasion by creatures, set in the woods
    JeruZalem - 2 american girls on holiday, gates of hell open
    Tales of Halloween - Anthology short horror films (10)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Going through these, notable films being:

Turbo Kid - 80s action movie throwback with gore
    Last Girl Standing - story of a girl post 'horror-film', she survived a massacre but the killer has come back for her
    Goodnight Mommy - mother has facial plastic surgery and her twin kids don't believe that's her under the bandages
    Deathgasm - NZ metal horror/comedy
    Worry Dolls - little wooden trinkets cause curse/voodoo/possession
    Nina Forever - horror comedy/drama: ghost of bloodied ex gf appears when ex-bf tries to sleep with new girl
    The Hallow - Home invasion by creatures, set in the woods
    JeruZalem - 2 american girls on holiday, gates of hell open
    Tales of Halloween - Anthology short horror films (10)

I like the sounds of JeruZalem but found footage stuff is just annoying...been done to death. Trailer looks alight tho

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Dust Devil is a bit of favourite of mine and is well worth checking out, and the director Richard Stanley is going to be doing a Q&A after the screening.

I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about the film as he lost control of it during the edit but managed to get his final cut together eventually. Stanley has had something a chequered career - he directed another great sci-fi film Hardware, and lasted a few days as director on The Island of Dr Moreau before being relieved of his duties on that film too.

I've also booked a ticket to see The Hallow - it was all filmed in Connemara and is meant to have some great practical effect work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I won a pair of 5 film passes for this years festival so picked a film a day to space it out!
    I'm going to Howl,Goodnight Mommy,The Hallow,the suprise film, and The Nesting.

Fingers crossed I've picked good ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Well if they dont catch your fancy The cult horror that The Mummy was modelled on is showing for free in the Cheater Beatty Library today (sat 24th Oct 2015) at 2:15 - free in - apparently the set & staging has never been surpassed for accuracy & detail - should be fun! Tomb robbers & creaking mummies ahoy...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Anyone see The Witch last night? I'm pretty gutted I didn't get a ticket for it, I've been looking forward to that one for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Missed it this year anyone know what the surprise film was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Missed it this year anyone know what the surprise film was?
    The Witch, would have definitely went if I saw it on the schedule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement