Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Irish Soup Kitchens"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

beanhead wrote: »
    Bought a ticket 15 mins ago from a door to door in Greystones and was curious, the 'volunteer' seemed to be maybe early 20s, possibly phillipino. Was wearing a ID lanyard around his neck and had some I guess questionable documentation. There was a woman's name on the licence the surname was O'Neil

The convo was about setting up a kitchen near BTs in town. I entered this raffle

Why the hell did you buy a ticket if he didn't even have correct ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They were selling tickets door to door in Bray today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 DarkerSerge

Hand them a packet of soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

On Dawson Street yesterday.
    No id or registered charity details available from the collector.
    Something very suspect about this "charity"

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

Had a lot of run ins with them camping up in the doorway of a shop I work in. Always scarpered when we ran the Gardai and always were being operated by members of the travelling community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was one outside the GPO and Henry St over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

I've noticed that these people have disappeared from outside the G.P.O., Penny's, Cleary's and the other parts of Dublin I used to see them in.
    I wonder does anyone know how this panned out?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

I've noticed that these people have disappeared from outside the G.P.O., Penny's, Cleary's and the other parts of Dublin I used to see them in.
    I wonder does anyone know how this panned out?

Havnt seen them in Nassau st or Grafton st in a while either and they were always there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Iedco4

Irish Soup Kitchens claim to be a Charity. They have been operating in Drogheda since 2005 and are in Navan as well. They are not registered as a Charity and I cannot understand how the Revenue Commissioners allow them to operate without a status. I’d donate only to a registered Charity, too many cowboys out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Iedco4

Irish Soup Kitchens claim to be a Charity. They have been operating in Drogheda since 2005 and are in Navan as well. They are not registered as a Charity and I cannot understand how the Revenue Commissioners allow them to operate without a status. I’d donate only to a registered Charity, too many cowboys out there !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,276 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Report such cases to the Garda and the Charities Regulator.

http://www.charitiesregulatoryauthority.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

These guys're now claiming to be opening up in Balbriggan this week above Intreo office.....

462108.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They have an old facebook page. Lots of people asking if its a scam or otherwise being doubtful

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Irishsoupkitchens/community/?ref=page_internal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Podcast BY Irish Soup Kitchens...ABOUT Irish Soup Kitchens feat. Mark O'Neill; go figure > https://soundcloud.com/user-714880100/irish-soup-kitchens-mark-oneill?fbclid=IwAR2lGNLo58DozZ7ru-SK70gvJg_cXYkQl_gxrj9ihLJvYKAGkOmUglbsgZQ

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rioga na hEireann

They are legit. Company limited by guarantee.

Cmon guys we have to support efforts like this! Saving lives of people with literally no food...

Cmon guys we have to support efforts like this! Saving lives of people with literally no food...

Registered as a company, not as a charity.

https://search.cro.ie/company/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=534140&type=C

Type CLG - Company Limited by Guarantee
    Number 534140
    Name THE IRISH SOUP KITCHEN CENTRES COMPANY LIMITED BY GUARANTEE
    Address DOLANS CORNER
    SUNDAY'S GATE
    DROGHEDA
    CO. LOUTH
    Registered 15/10/2013
    Status Normal

Effective Date 15/10/2013
    Last AR Date 30/09/2018
    Next AR Date 30/09/2019
    Last Accounts to Date 31/12/2017

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Company, not a charity doing something done more effectively by others and which you've described hyperbolicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

Victor wrote: »

Charities are not registered as such with the CRO.

However, I can see no sign of them on

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/en/information-for-the-public/search-the-charities-register

Which is where a legitimate charity should be registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Doesn't need to be done on the main street of the Capital at all.

Business owners cannot put out a sandwich board now, and have to abide by food safety rules to within an inch of their lives.... but no problem, do haircuts and serve up soup and so on under the GPO canopy and down by BOI on College Green.

It's not as if the homeless and destitute are not supported at all, they are, by numerous charities and our taxes. I'd like to know who is behind this. If their intentions are good, and not political, it could be done quietly and unobtrusively somewhere else. Might be easier for some to access their services too, if they do not want to be seen on the main streets either.

Dignity for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rioga na hEireann

L1011 wrote: »
    Company, not a charity doing something done more effectively by others and which you've described hyperbolicly.

They have a website it's <SNIP>

im just saying i remember the way it was in dublin and even in other town before the 2007 crash, it was bad but now it's rediculous, every doorway on graftin street area full every night, kids growing up in hotels, kids now eating dinner on the streets

seriously i dont get why people are running this down this is a crisis right now in ireland the level of homelessness is a problem

and i dont doubt that you are an eryodite and intelligent person but seriously free food restaurants and free home delivery food parcel services there is none of the fully registered charities doing all that

all charities start somewhere before they get their charity status so efforts like this have to be supported for the greater good

They have a website it's <SNIP>

im just saying i remember the way it was in dublin and even in other town before the 2007 crash, it was bad but now it's rediculous, every doorway on graftin street area full every night, kids growing up in hotels, kids now eating dinner on the streets

seriously i dont get why people are running this down this is a crisis right now in ireland the level of homelessness is a problem

and i dont doubt that you are an eryodite and intelligent person but seriously free food restaurants and free home delivery food parcel services there is none of the fully registered charities doing all that

all charities start somewhere before they get their charity status so efforts like this have to be supported for the greater good

Here's the issue I'd have; charities volunteers're **supposed** be Gda. Vetted.

These "Charitable Organisations" or Pseudo Charities of which there seems to be a multitude aren't obliged to do this.

As for Irish Soup Kitchens specifically I've said my piece earlier in this thread; my experience of them on street wasn't filling me with confidence regarding their legitimacy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: @Rioga na hEireann do no post that link again.

Do not respond to this message on thread.

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread as it were but this company, if that's right name for it, them Irish Soup Kitchens Ltd. featured on my local Radio Stations 6pm News this evening; they've been going round selling ISK Ltd. scratchcards & some people've been thinking they're raising money for a local soup kitchen, officially called St. Clares Hospitality Kitchen, in Carlow town; to this end the PRO had to come out on air (they had to take down their social media presence due to anti Covid individuals targeting the kitchen on & off line in 2020 & 2021 + 2022 too) & warn people the money was not staying locally or going to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

Saw a collector for this shower in Finglas Village during the week. The usual MO , sitting at a desk on a footpath trying to make it look official.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Saw the gardai take one of these collectors and his table into custody outside Lidl in Finglas today.

As i was passing, I heard the guard say "he can come to the station to explain it himself" while the poor collector spoke on the phone to someone else.

Guessing the jig is up for these guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Noticed several individuals collecting for this group in Cork over the weekend. Saw one of them being detained and questioned by no less than five Gardai, kind of rough looking character. I've never come across this charity, if that's what they are , before and googling them brought up this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

They haven’t gone away, in St Anne’s park in Raheny today taking advantage of people’s Christmas spirit….annoying that bogus charities like this are taking money out of the pockets of genuine charities like the Cappuchin day centre/penny dinners/etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Always at the mill centre in Clondalkin. Fairly aggressive collecting as well.

Advertisement