Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should the ICU website do?

Options
  • 25-09-2015 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

As there has been no code changes made to the ICU website over the past year, I would like to know what new functionality people would like. As a start, I'll give my top wish:

1. Add a game viewer to the games page, so you don't have to play the game blindfold, or download it and play it in Chessbase.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

1. Work. No more falling over mid-national-championships.
    2. Be apolitical. No more AGM billboarding.
    3. Be singular. No more having icu.ie and irishchessunion.net. One NGB, one website, one easily-remembered point of contact.
    4. Be written for complete newbies as well as veterans. Right now, you would do a great disservice to any person looking to get into chess by sending them to icu.ie. That shouldn't be the case.
    5. Be updated often with good content.

None of those require new features; they all require the basics to work first.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

Sparks wrote: »
    1. Work. No more falling over mid-national-championships.
    2. Be apolitical. No more AGM billboarding.
    3. Be singular. No more having icu.ie and irishchessunion.net. One NGB, one website, one easily-remembered point of contact.
    4. Be written for complete newbies as well as veterans. Right now, you would do a great disservice to any person looking to get into chess by sending them to icu.ie. That shouldn't be the case.
    5. Be updated often with good content.

None of those require new features; they all require the basics to work first.

The last one is will be tough. Would it be worth paying someone to this i.e. pay a GM to anotate some games from each tournament? Maybe to fit in with no. 4 the GM could annotate 1 game from each section of each tournament.

I don't see that being too costly either. I've seen some GMs quoting 25 euro a game but they might charge more if the annotated games were to he published.

Regarding points 1, 2 and 3 I couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

As there has been no code changes made to the ICU website over the past year, I would like to know what new functionality people would like. As a start, I'll give my top wish:

1. Add a game viewer to the games page, so you don't have to play the game blindfold, or download it and play it in Chessbase.

Well honestly, does the ICU website cater for beginners? advanced players? Trainers? Tournament organisers? Are we talking about the main page or the site in general?

There has been a lot of good work done on the site but I think it mainly needs a designer and a refresh of content not a coder at present (functionality is fine atm).

Main page:
    This needs to be changed with these questions in mind:
    I'm a new player, what do I need to know and where do I go?
    I want to set up a club, what do I have to do and what help can I get?
    I want to play in a tournament, what are available and what do I need before I play? (national and abroad)
    How can I pay my ICU fee?
    I want to organise a tournament, what support do the ICU offer me? What do I need to do?
    I want to teach chess, what do I have to do to get qualified?
    I want to learn chess (via a coach), who can I contact and what type of training should I be looking for?
    My daughter/son wants to play chess, what do I need to know?
    I want to be an arbiter, what do I need to do to become one?
    I am an arbiter, how do I know what tournaments are available for me to be an arbiter?

Comments:
    At present, if I wanted to become an arbiter, I have to check out a different website that isn't mentioned on the icu.ie site.
    If I wanted a list of registered trainers, I have to know to go to the FIDE site - How does a parent find a trainer? or an adult wanting to learn to play?
    If I wanted tournament news, I have to find the calendar - If I log in, I should be able to search for tournaments in my region and applicable to me (i.e. if I'm not a junior, hide the junior events and if I want an event in Ireland, hide foreign tournaments)
    If I wanted to know about chess in schools, I have to check out a different website that isn't mentioned on the icu.ie site - How does a school find out about this project on the icu.ie site?
    If I wanted minutes or agendas, I have to search the news items - Tags I guess would be a good addition
    If I wanted an updated constitution, I have to piece together bits and pieces - content needs updating on the site on at least a 6 month basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JohnDelaney

I agree with the point that there is a need to think about how different users experience the website.

I would add a need for a Junior Rating system as a key to providing a service from the ICU to under 18s (who would then join ICU). That seems to be a key recruiting tool going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tedjennings

I would like to support Reunion’s comments.

Web sites should be relevant to the people that they serve not just a well scripted page that the webmaster/organisers thinks looks pretty.

As webmaster for bunrattychess I have on occasions fell into this trap but thankfully by heeding feedback I hope most of what I produce is relevant and informative to those who want more info re Bunratty.

As experienced chess people we can sometimes forget that others are not as familiar with both the playing and organisational aspects of the game therefore this should be foremost in the mind of those charged with task of maintaining the ICU web site.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think the website is quite good - worth emphasising that in light of all the criticism of the ICU recently. There's lots of info there, it's easy to navigate, it's updated regularly - all the basics are covered really. In general, when I have to use it, I find it very easy to find what I'm looking for.

Some of reunion's ideas are covered already, using the drop-down "More" menu instead of tags. But then select Juniors, and you get how to play chess, the benefits of playing chess, links to clubs with junior set-ups, upcoming junior events, etc, etc - it's all quite neat actually. The areas I think need to be added to regularly over time and they'll build up - but I think that happens anyway.

An FAQ and a beginners' section (maybe with a focus on adult players like this) wouldn't be a bad idea at all in the drop-down menu

That said, I like this idea -
    pawntof4 wrote: »
    Would it be worth paying someone to this i.e. pay a GM to anotate some games from each tournament? Maybe to fit in with no. 4 the GM could annotate 1 game from each section of each tournament.
    And seeing as I wouldn't have thought of that, I guess I'm not the right person to be looking to for more ideas like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rrydlny

I think a simple feature would be to have a small calendar on the homepage (maybe just underneath the navbar) showing upcoming events within the next 30 days. That way visitors to the site can see what tournaments are coming up immediately and can click on a link to it for more details.

cdeb wrote: »
    There's lots of info there, it's easy to navigate, it's updated regularly - all the basics are covered really. In general, when I have to use it, I find it very easy to find what I'm looking for.

Some of reunion's ideas are covered already, using the drop-down "More" menu instead of tags. But then select Juniors, and you get how to play chess, the benefits of playing chess, links to clubs with junior set-ups, upcoming junior events, etc, etc - it's all quite neat actually. The areas I think need to be added to regularly over time and they'll build up - but I think that happens anyway.

I disagree, you are viewing the website as a user who has used this website for sometime. The current layout and structure makes it hard for people to navigate. Not many people want to navigate a site for information! That just turns people away.

If I handed the website to a friend (who has never used the website before and doesn't really play chess) and asked them:
    1. To find the next tournament coming up in their area - they would probably click ICU (why else are they on the icu website but to find out about the icu?), they might try HELP or they might try more and click tournaments (which is past tournaments (more accurately results)). None of which actually brought them to the correct location about upcoming tournaments.

2. Ask them to find out information about running a tournament - they will click everywhere and find nothing. How would they know they can apply for a grant to run a tournament from the ICU? What do they need to run one? Do they need an arbiter? Does everyone have to be an ICU member?

3. Ask them to set up a club - again, click everywhere and find nothing. What should they know about starting a club? Do they need an arbiter to run games? Does everyone need to be an ICU member? can the games be rated?

4. Ask them to find information about learning to play - that should not just be under Juniors. That's ridiculous! No adult will check a junior tab to learn how to play! Obviously, this is good for Juniors but not for adults learning to play.

5. Ask them to find information about being an arbiter - they will give up and use google to search for ireland chess arbiter.

6. Ask them to pay their ICU fees - They could try ICU, HELP and shop. But I will point out, shop to me reads more like ICU branded merchandise rather than memberships. If you take the ecf website, they use shop as merchandise and they have membership as a heading with join the ECF as a subheading.

Visit a few websites, ECF website, Chess Scotland, Welsh Chess Union, Chess South Africa and then try the Somalian Chess websites. Pretend you are looking for something specific - membership information, starting a club, whatever 3 or 4 things you choose initially and start rating them in a list (include how frustrated you were) and time yourself. You'll start to see when you don't know anything about a particular organisation or have used the website before, clarity and navigation can be more important than live streaming games or annotated games. People won't stay looking on your site forever, some might give up because they have to spend too long looking for information.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Change "Calendar" to "Upcoming Tournaments" or "Future Tournaments"

Change "Tournaments" to "Past Tournaments" or "Tournament Reports"

Change "Shop" to "ICU Membership"or "Join the ICU".

It's incredible the number of parents who have contacted me because they can't find the up-coming tournaments or are trying to subscribe their son or daughter. We're used to the website layout but it doesn't seem to be intuitive to everyone else. Just a minor change in description would help a lot.

reunion wrote: »
    Visit a few websites, ECF website, Chess Scotland, Welsh Chess Union, Chess South Africa and then try the Somalian Chess websites. Pretend you are looking for something specific - membership information, starting a club, whatever 3 or 4 things you choose initially and start rating them in a list (include how frustrated you were) and time yourself. You'll start to see when you don't know anything about a particular organisation or have used the website before, clarity and navigation can be more important than live streaming games or annotated games. People won't stay looking on your site forever, some might give up because they have to spend too long looking for information.

This is a fantastic exercise to do as it really demonstrates where improvements can be made on the site. The site only needs a few tweaks really.

• Advertisement

It's funny, that literally could be what the website needs. But there is outdated information (constitution) not to mention a whole other site which is confusing (and still owned by Colm Daly).
    It's incredible the number of parents who have contacted me because they can't find the up-coming tournaments or are trying to subscribe their son or daughter. We're used to the website layout but it doesn't seem to be intuitive to everyone else. Just a minor change in description would help a lot.

I think addressing this should be a priority, not the banning and vendettas recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

In fact since it's a website it should be possible to provide the same information via different menu options. To take the learning chess example the same pages could be linked from Junior and Adult sections. No need to be limited to a single path.
    In general some very interesting suggestions most of which suggest more or different content rather than any problem with the website itself. Indeed I think it already caters for the idea of allowing multiple contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

If thinking of doing a serious revamp of the ICU website, instead of guessing what different groups of people might want from the website why not ask them? Maybe do some short focus groups with different groups whose opinions the ICU would take on board... I'm thinking maybe juniors, women players, existing members and probably most importantly potential future members who are coming to the site looking for info on chess in Ireland

potential future members who are coming to the site looking for info on chess in Ireland
    If doing this, ensure at least two or three are adults. The level of support for adults looking to take up the game in Ireland is... well, absent until you physically get to a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭HaraldSchmidt

As lots of people have stated, different groups of people are looking for different sets of information. Maybe, we need a "Treat me as..." Button. The user gets to choose from parent, junior, adult beginner, club player, chess teacher, women etc...

Depending on what the visitor selects, we show the most relevant information and links for them.

As lots of people have stated, different groups of people are looking for different sets of information. Maybe, we need a "Treat me as..." Button. The user gets to choose from parent, junior, adult beginner, club player, chess teacher, women etc...

Depending on what the visitor selects, we show the most relevant information and links for them.

I'm not sure about the "Treat me as.." button because I've never really seen it before and it would be hard to cater for every user that way. What happens if the user is a club player, mother of a promising chess player and a chess teacher. Which option does she choose?

The site has so much great stuff, I think making it easier to use should be the top priority of the next person running it.

Maybe, we need a "Treat me as..." Button.
    You get that implicitly when someone logs into the site...

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

The ICU site is not far from what it should be ( News,Tournament reports ,calendar.. etc ).It's biggest failing is the lack of info for those who want to start playing chess, There should be a tab to give information/explanation for adults/juniors who want to join clubs and/or play in tournaments, a short video would be helpful. On the site itself, Games section there has been no update since November last year and instead of reading notations, we should be able to replay the game on the site itself.There are over 100 clubs advertised on ICU site and many are tiny clubs some of which perhaps have closed, ICU should contact these clubs once a year to see if they are still open, sinbad hates nothing more than Bad info. As for " treat me as " and find me a match as suggested by Herald, ICU is NOT a dating site !.

Sparks wrote: »
    You get that implicitly when someone logs into the site...

Yes, indeed, but it's not fine-grained enough, and it only works if you log in. I suspect that most of the visitors to the site don't log in.

pawntof4 wondered what happens if a user matches multiple groups. Then I would suggest they switch hats.

Well, if you log in, you know all the groups they're in, so show all the relevant bits. If you don't you get the "you're a complete novice, here's the basic stuff" view.

• Advertisement

pawntof4 wondered what happens if a user matches multiple groups. Then I would suggest they switch hats.

The issue I have with that is that it's not very intuitive. How many other sites implement this feature. It sounds great and would make the site look cleaner as it wouldn't be cluttered with lots of unwanted navigation links etc but when a new user comes to the site they'll have to learn how to use it.

I know a lot of people don't want to learn anything new they just want whatever it is they are using to work and that is where I see the button being an issue.

The site should make it as easy as possible for users to access the information they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JohnDelaney

Can the website allow people to enter events or join clubs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Can the website allow people to enter events or join clubs etc

Bad idea !. Inserting ICU site as a middleman between individuals & clubs/events will unnecessarily complicate things and give ICU a headache it does not need if there are difficulties, However if organisers want to use a single website for entries to several different events or reporting results, that is not a bad idea. As for joining clubs, you should really go down to the club and join in person and not from home. ICU site should also provide list and info about approved chess coaches as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I agree there should be more chess content on the website.
    At the moment the only thing I'm getting for my membership fee is a dodgy rating.
    And although the entertainment value in the political bungling of the past year shouldn't be underestimated I think everyone would prefer if it didn't continue.

Perhaps the return of a periodical could be considered. I'm sure there are a few players around that would welcome the spotlight if asked to annotate a game or provide a few puzzles.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

It should do what the ICU Executive want it to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tedjennings

EnPassant wrote: »

It should do what the ICU Executive want it to do.

The web site like other arms of the ICU is for the benefit of all members not just those elected to Office!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NubieOne

Another idea might be to have the facility on the web site, when it's transmitting live games from one of the Irish events, to allow members to type in live messages about the position / event as the moves are being made.

Even as I type this, a major concern is forming, how would the site's administrator prevent this facility from being used to score cheap political points etc. Ah well, back to the drawing board.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

You could easily moderate comments as they come in - I can't imagine it would be that busy.

Though it would require someone to do this of course.

cdeb wrote: »
    You could easily moderate comments as they come in - I can't imagine it would be that busy.

Though it would require someone to do this of course.

I believe Bunratty got 10k viewers of the live chess games one year. So it might get that busy...

You could just add a delay. 5 minutes? Reduces the risk of someone seeing move suggestions of the current position.

• Advertisement

A friend of mine mentioned that this thread could be seen as a criticism of Mark Orr's work. It is far from it. Mark probably spent about 6 months full time work creating icu.ie and ratings.icu.ie. The code itself, which is open source on github, is a joy to read, and the whole system has been completely documented, making it reasonably easy for a technical person to take over the running of the site.

In effect, Mark donated 6 months of his time as a professional programmer to the ICU. I would conservatively estimate that to be worth €50,000 and probably closer to €100,000 if you hired a contractor.

Advertisement