Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elbow tendinitis high bar squat

Options
  • 25-09-2015 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Seems I have developed tendinitis in both elbows from high bar back squatting, I find this kind of annoying as I thought it would only effect low bar lifters. Anybody have any recommendation about how to deal with this in terms of technique or equipment. I am not asking for medical advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

roll triceps and biceps and lats on the collar of the bar every day.

something like this -

from what i see daily its origin is in the lats being tight and the teres minor needing work also (shoulders in general really)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

100 DB curls + 100 light pushdowns per day in addition to the above.

And if you've got elbow tendonitis from high bar squatting you have SERIOUS movement issues.

Your grip's probably too narrow for current mobility levels too.

Hanley wrote: »
    100 DB curls + 100 light pushdowns per day in addition to the above.

And if you've got elbow tendonitis from high bar squatting you have SERIOUS movement issues.

Your grip's probably too narrow for current mobility levels too.
    yup was going to mention widening out the grip but overall it doest solve anything really as you're just kicking the can down the road until the problem will show up elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

Thanks for the tips. I wouldnt of thought my mobility was that bad, ive attached a recent video. I do have a narrow grip but it feels comfortable but Ill make it wider. Ill try foam roll lats, have never done it before so if you hear load whaling in pain in Dublin city at 7pm tonight its probably me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Are you holding your breath?

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Are you holding your breath?

Very much so.

Grip's too narrow. Go to pinky finger on rings.

Wrap your thumb under the bar and keep your wrists straight.

Thoracic extension is non existent and massive degree of shoulder roll at the top. Try to make your chest "bigger"

PS - do a ton more heavy upper back work like snatch grip block pulls, chest supported rows and strict barbell rows

Hanley wrote: »
    PS - do a ton more heavy upper back work like snatch grip block pulls, chest supported rows and strict barbell rows
    this and the mobility suggestions x 10.

defo upper back tightness as you can see it coming out of the bottom.

yes he should be holding his breath throughout the lift

if you cant do ring or TRX rows perfectly with feet on bench then work on that. Ive broken down progressions here -

it really isnt any more complicated that what's been suggested.

Good squat form otherwise

Thanks for all the tips, ill include them into my workout and post how they worked out in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement