Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder injury - where to go

Options
  • 24-09-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭

I hurt my shoulder at the gym 3 weeks ago. As soon as I felt something wrong I stopped going and have tried to rest it as best I can. I've also been taking some anadin to help with inflammation. It hasn't improved at all in that time so I want to go see somebody about it. I've done some research and by the type and location of the pain it would appear to be a rotator cuff injury - naturally that's just my guess but if it is I don't want to hang around in case I make it worse.
    So where would be my first port of call? I'm reluctant to go to the GP as I reckon I'll just get referred on. I was thinking of going directly to the Sports Surgery Clinic, orthopaedics ...

http://www.sportssurgeryclinic.com/services/orthopaedics/shoulder/397

Is this overkill? I have to be aware of costs but my insurance covers some ortho fees and an MRI.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You'll prolly need a referral to go to SSC. Not sure on that tho.

Physio wise;

Aidan Woods - Pearse Street Physio
    Joey Bolan - Functional Training Ireland
    Any of the guys at SportsMedIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks, appreciate that Hanley.
    By any chance would you have any knowledge of 'The Physio Company', they work out of the Swiftcare clinic in Swords. I only ask because they are very close to me.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I've had shoulder/upper back pain for months now and found the best route was GP and Physio initially to try and resolve things. Have not seen any improvement after quite a few sessions with a great physio who came highly recommended, so then explored other options with GP - referral and MRI etc. Still no progress or resolution for me in terms of pain though, so that's probably not very helpful!

Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks, appreciate that Hanley.
    By any chance would you have any knowledge of 'The Physio Company', they work out of the Swiftcare clinic in Swords. I only ask because they are very close to me.
    Cheers

Physios are like doctors are like restaurants are like people... some are good, some are bad.

The ones I posted about there are the only ones I know and trust for sure.

Anywhere else, you could get a good physio, or a bad one.

Perhaps someone else will know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

As said above. Get to your GP. They should refer you to SSC or somewhere similar for an MRI.An MRI is the only real way to see what's going on in your shoulder.
    Take it from there!
    I know from experience.

• Advertisement

Thanks Koutoubia

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I'd recommend the GP route too.

I went to my GP who gave me meds and said to get physio. It didn't help so I went back and was referred to the SSC where the consultant did an MRI which diagnosed tendinitis of my rotator cuff and a small tear in my labrum.

I got injections to reduce the inflammation and then we tried more intense physio. It worked and I got pain relief and stability back in my shoulder (the constant "slipping" feeling was the worst). However I over stretched myself a few weeks ago playing tag and had to get more injections. They haven't worked effectively enough yet to restart physio (have had to wear a sling some of the time because the pressure from my arm makes it feel like my arm is going to come out of the socket). I had a second batch of injections Monday so we'll wait 3 weeks and if no improvement he'll operate.

But you need a referral from a GP to see a SSC consultant. Also a GP can give you better pain relief and a better idea of what / where the injury is, and perhaps a recommendation for physio.

The physio in the SSC, or at least the physio that I saw, was amazing. She only works with shoulders and has lots of experience. The exercises she gave me are top notch too. I look a bit weird doing them but they do work.

That's great advice sullivlo, thanks. Would you mind if I asked for a breakdown of the costs there? Consultation, Physio sessions etc.
    Appreciate it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

redser7 wrote: »
    That's great advice sullivlo, thanks. Would you mind if I asked for a breakdown of the costs there? Consultation, Physio sessions etc.
    Appreciate it.

€150 for the consultant. MRI covered by VHI. €60 per session with physio.

sullivlo wrote: »
    €150 for the consultant. MRI covered by VHI. €60 per session with physio.

Great, thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I believe the injections are steroids/ anti inflammation stuff.
    From my knowledge ( not medical) you can only get 2 or 3 of these before surgery is looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

You should get about €80 back on the consultant fees with certain health insurance plans. And don't forget about getting up to 50% back on each physio visit (up to 25 per year for me with Laya)

Thanks. Yes my Laya insurance seems similar to your cover, softens the blow a fair bit alright :)

koutoubia wrote: »
    I believe the injections are steroids/ anti inflammation stuff.
    From my knowledge ( not medical) you can only get 2 or 3 of these before surgery is looked at

I have had three so surgery is next. He won't inject again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

koutoubia wrote: »
    As said above. Get to your GP. They should refer you to SSC or somewhere similar for an MRI.An MRI is the only real way to see what's going on in your shoulder.
    Take it from there!
    I know from experience.

MrI can be misleading. Yes they are a.good diagnostic tool for a lot of things, and im not saying.dont bother with one, just its not the only wat you can really what the issue is. I had a client.with an MRI that rold her she had a subacromian impingement and burstitis. My own tests pointed otherwise and I treated her for a different issue. Ended.up with full range and no pain.

With regards to injections, avoid avoid avoid. They only mask the pain, do nothing to solve the problem. It is true you are only allowed to have 3 in your life time as they weaken the tendons of the muscle and actually make you more susceptible to injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

There is no referral required for SSC, just phone up and make an appointment. I was up with them last week with my shoulder. Booked in with the sports medicine department. Cost €150 for initial consultation. MRI was covered by insurance, but would have cost €350 otherwise and another €100 for followup consultation to get MRI results and plan of action. I can also claim some of the consultant fees back off my insurance.

There is no referral required for SSC, just phone up and make an appointment. I was up with them last week with my shoulder. Booked in with the sports medicine department. Cost €150 for initial consultation. MRI was covered by insurance, but would have cost €350 otherwise and another €100 for followup consultation to get MRI results and plan of action. I can also claim some of the consultant fees back off my insurance.

Excellent, thanks so much.

Advertisement