Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Lifting for Ladies - newbie

Options
  • 21-09-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I've joined a gym recently, mainly for the swimming but I also wouldn't mind trying some lifting.

My reason for same is that I've tried lots of cardio in the past, only to be left with an average 'skinny fat' body - I look small enough with my clothes on, but when off I am very flabby!
    I suppose all cardio and no strength training will do that to you.
    My diet needs improvement too but I'm working on that. I know what to be eating so I don't need any advice on that thanks :)

Anyway, any pointers for ladies new to lifting for weight loss purposes?
    I'm obviously going to be asking for assistance from an instructor in the gym but I'm worried I might get fobbed off with 'easy, girly' stuff like being pointed to the dumbbell rack. That's not what I want, from my research the only way to obtain a fit, lean body is good strength training along with your normal cardio.

I'm so nervous about going into the weights room though, feel like all the muscle men will be laughing at me...

All advice and tips welcome please - thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm so nervous about going into the weights room though, feel like all the muscle men will be laughing at me...
    They won't laugh at you. They had to start somewhere. It's not like they were muscley before they ever set foot in a gym. Most would have started off fat or skinny.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

To be honest I used to be afraid that the men would be staring and judging , but they generally are too busy getting their own form and technique right to be looking at anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

They won't laugh at you. They had to start somewhere. It's not like they were muscley before they ever set foot in a gym. Most would have started off fat or skinny.

Where are you based?

Good point!
    I'm in Drogheda, Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hi all

I've joined a gym recently, mainly for the swimming but I also wouldn't mind trying some lifting.

My reason for same is that I've tried lots of cardio in the past, only to be left with an average 'skinny fat' body - I look small enough with my clothes on, but when off I am very flabby!
    I suppose all cardio and no strength training will do that to you.
    That's exactly right tbh.
    I'm obviously going to be asking for assistance from an instructor in the gym but I'm worried I might get fobbed off with 'easy, girly' stuff like being pointed to the dumbbell rack. That's not what I want, from my research the only way to obtain a fit, lean body is good strength training along with your normal cardio.
    Just explain that to them. Tell them you want to do big compound movements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Weight lifting isn't different for men and women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭COH

Go check out Boyneside Strength & Performance if you want some coaching in all things barbell related :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

All advice and tips welcome please - thank you :)

Take COH''s advice and go to a real strength training gym. Most commercial gyms won't offer the instruction you're looking for.

Anyone who laughs at a beginner in a gym is a complete tool. The vast majority of men you'll meet in strength training will be supportive or passive. They'll either offer help and advice or leave you alone.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Plus one on finding lifting gym or at least a qualified coach with background in lifting and who can show you proper technique.

You're looking to do compound lifts (not limited to) squats, deadlifts, bench presses and some body exercise too (planks, push ups etc)

If you're stuck have a look at NROLFW (New rules of lifting for women), strength programme for women I can recommend, again starting with compound movements and building on that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Just to echo others, I'd highly recommend somewhere that has proper weight training classes, or gym that concentrates on it more than a generic commercial gym would.

Even a few sessions with a good instructor getting form correct could be really beneficial to you. Don't worry about other people in the gym. Once you're there 2 minutes you won't even notice anyone else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

COH wrote: »
    Go check out Boyneside Strength & Performance if you want some coaching in all things barbell related :)

Thank you, I've found them on Facebook and I'm PM'ing them now about going in for a session :)

Edit - Booked in for tomorrow, can't wait! Thanks for all the tips everyone :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Yes- it won't help you lose weight. If you say you have a clean diet then you need to just stick with it with a tunnel vision mindset- no cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭COH

Thank you, I've found them on Facebook and I'm PM'ing them now about going in for a session :)

Edit - Booked in for tomorrow, can't wait! Thanks for all the tips everyone :-)

Tell them Kieran from RAW sent you... and have fun!

Advertisement