Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Cameron survive Bacongate?

Options
  • 21-09-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Lord Ashcroft who was passed over for a cabinet post has exposed the goings on of the young David Cameron who as part of the initiation for the Piers Gaveston Society at Oxford apparently inserted a certain part of his body into the mouth of a dead pig.

The story has taken the internet by storm with interest focuses on an episode of a bizarre drama series called Black Mirror which included an episode where a princess is kidnapped by terrorists who threaten to kill her unless the Prime Minister has sex with a pig on live television.

Jokes referencing Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, the Big bad Wolf and the popular nursery ryhme little pigs are doing the rounds.

Internationally Britain is going to have difficulty dealing with the Arabs and Israelis who both for religious reasons see pigs as unclean animals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep - it will blowover and he'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Those posh boys have some strange initiation ceremonies - in the spirit of openness, he should explain how he felt and what lessons he can learn from the episode

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

Those posh boys have some strange initiation ceremonies - in the spirit of openness, he should explain how he felt and what lessons he can learn from the episode

He says he is refusing to dignify it with a response. Which I take to mean he would have flatly denied it only he is concerned that somewhere someone might have a photo of it and if it surfaces a flat denial would have been a blatant telling of, well, porkies.

if it surfaces a flat denial would have been a blatant telling of, well, porkies.

Like all slippery politicians, he can always say he 'misstated his awareness' of the event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's when stories like this pop up that you really miss Spitting Image.

Will he survive? Probably, but it depends on how long it takes for him to stop being an object of ridicule.

Saying that, if the photo surfaces I'd say he's gone.

I'd also imagine there'll be further 'revelations' as the tabloids dig into those posh boy clubs in Oxbridge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

It's strange that both the BBC and Sky are refusing to air the actual content of the allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

This is the infamous episode of Black Mirror in which a fictional Prime Minister is held to ransom - the much beloved Princess Susanah is going be killed unless he f*cks a pig live on television. As the deadline draws near and the life of the princess is on the line the heroic Prime Minister feels he must do his duty. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would ask anyone new here to read the charter of this forum before posting. This is a forum for serious discussion. One liners and links to Youtube videos without analysis do not constitute serious discussion.

Thanks,
    ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's strange that both the BBC and Sky are refusing to air the actual content of the allegation.

Probably for editorial reasons.

I think the story in the book is based on a single source (so far) and the BBC and Sky might require corroboration before opting to run with it.

They may yet do a story about the coverage it's receiving.

Edit: it's on the BBC's site Lord Ashcroft 'not settling scores' with David Cameron book

So in the vein of serious discussion, does this point to the 'establishment' use these initiation procedures as a way of influencing or controlling what policies will be implemented or just as importantly, not implemented should said student / member become a VIP later in life. A little nudge here and there saying 'remember the pigs nostril'

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »

I think the story in the book is based on a single source (so far) and the BBC and Sky might require corroboration before opting to run with it.

I have yet to see Sky specifically wait for corroboration on other matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's when stories like this pop up that you really miss Spitting Image.

Will he survive? Probably, but it depends on how long it takes for him to stop being an object of ridicule.

I'm afraid that the event described is such an unholy combination as to haunt him forever. Puns, photoshop, nervous pig noises when he appears on TV. BBC are indeed avoiding mentioning it on their website, which will make it worse. More sales for the Lord Ashcroft lad, though he won't need the money.

They may yet do a story about the coverage it's receiving.

Edit: it's on the BBC's site Lord Ashcroft 'not settling scores' with David Cameron book

..an article which doesn't actually mention the specifics of the allegations. Which is a shame, as I'd like to see how they phrase it.

I would ask anyone new here to read the charter of this forum before posting. This is a forum for serious discussion. One liners and links to Youtube videos without analysis do not constitute serious discussion.

Thanks,
    ancapailldorcha

The Black Mirror episode has now become part of the story. <snip>

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/david-cameron-black-mirror-charlie-6485095

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Black Mirror episode has now become part of the story. <snip>

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/david-cameron-black-mirror-charlie-6485095

Tone back the language please. I was not referring to your post. There was another with a video which I've deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I could say anything about any head of state and no one would take any notice.

This is a guy with a grudge and has written the best headline for the daily mail ever but with alot of stuff in the daily mail its just <snip>(A load of old tosh).

Wouldnt it be nice if I was a billionaire who wanted some power and took the head of state to ransom and who didnt get his way shouted over the school wall saying you had sexual relations with a pig.. ha ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Delighted to see Cameron being made the subject of ridicule anyway, makes a change from Corbyn getting annihilated in the press over total non issues.

Regardless of the stupidity of the event, I'm glad it focuses attention on Cameron's political origins; namely poncing around Oxbridge with the Bullingdon Club - a group whose sole purpose is to revel in the fact they're loaded and to display this fact in a nasty fashion. Some of the antics of this crowd include dressing up in tops and tails and destroying restaurants as well as burning fifty pound notes in front of the homeless. It is the epitome of an exclusionary elite who view power and privilege as their natural right.

In a country where he majority of the Cabinet are multi-millionaires, I hope this incident reiterates the fact that the Tories and their ilk are far from representative of the average person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

FTA69 wrote: »
    In a country where he majority of the Cabinet are multi-millionaires, I hope this incident reiterates the fact that the Tories and their ilk are far from representative of the average person.

The thing is people expect this from the Conservatives, they don't pretend to be anything but elitist, well they pretend to not be elitist but not very well.

Labour market themselves as the representative party

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-candidates-andy-burnham-tristram-hunt-liz-kendall-yvette-cooper-mary-creagh-oxbridge-10256563.html

And their former Leadership and Prime-ministers are no more representative.
    Admittedly Corybn is a breath of fresh airbut he did go to a prestigous Grammer School and who knows where he would have ended up if he wasn't quiet so academically poor (I know this sounds like pushing an agenda but since even in those days he wouldn't have had the grades its relevant to wonder)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think people need to remember that this is some unknown source in an unauthorised biography written by one of his political rivals.

Did he do it ? Maybe, students sometimes do all sorts of messed up stuff.

Is it as big an issue as people make it out to be ? Hardly.

I wish the media would focus more on Ashcroft basically admitting he expected a nice political post in exchange for backing the Tories financially, and Cameron rightfully told him to do one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Front page news: drunk college student does something stupid and tasteless at party several decades ago. Who cares?

Can't see the fuss, myself. Had this been a live animal, this would be gross and repugnant abuse. As it was a dead one, it was a bit more like playing with your dinner. Who was harmed by this act? Nobody, not that I can see. (Assuming nobody was looking forward to tongue beforehand.) So why does anyone even care?

I hope he will survive it, since I think it's a poor indictment of society if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Meh! Worse things happen at the Trinity Ball and there are bound to be a few future ministers at that every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm not at all surprised about this. Cameron could have an amazing libel case - one must remember that the statement is presumed to be false in defamation and the onus is on the defendant to raise a defence (truth, honest opinion, etc.) but there are also clear issues around malice in the present case. The rules are slightly different in England & Wales around libel/slander than they are in Ireland around defamation, but I would not believe it would be hard for Cameron to hit the slightly higher bar for bringing a case in England & Wales than in Ireland.

If I was advising a media outlet at the moment, I would be telling them to be very careful in reporting the story.

It's pretty vile but also fairly harmless (missed the 'r' there the first time! :pac:). Can't see it hurting Cameron too much tbh.

I thought it funny that what the local radio station here (in a staunchly Labour area) took from the whole story was that Cameron should probably be applauded for refusing to allow Ashcroft to buy his way into Government!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I think the very fact that the news has been out for 36 hours and the AH thread on the matter is only 2 pages in length shows people are already fed up of it and it will be forgotten about entirely by about Friday.

That is, until the next episode of Have I got news for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think Cameron could do ok out of this. Sticking two fingers up to a billionaire who thought he could buy a political party isn't going to do him any harm and lets face it, if this is the biggest thing they can come up with to discredit the PM, then he must be pretty clean.

This reminds me a bit of the Paddy Ashdown affair, where a bit of scandal improved his popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Hmm. There seems to be a bit of hypocrisy here. The accusations are of necrophilliac beastiality. If this was something alleged about, say, Putin or Corbyn or some demonised monstered tabloid fodder there would he calls for the introduction of hanging or an invasion of Russia.

Hmm. There seems to be a bit of hypocrisy here. The accusations are of necrophilliac beastiality. If this was something alleged about, say, Putin or Corbyn or some demonised monstered tabloid fodder there would he calls for the introduction of hanging or an invasion of Russia.

There is the fact that the majority of British press are sympathetic to the Tories, doubtless with a dash of prudishness about the details of the 'ghastly business'. Realistically I can't see it sinking him, though it will be thrown at him now and again for the rest of his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Necrophiliac bestiality, seriously?

It's a stupid student prank, no more, no less.

• Advertisement

Necrophiliac bestiality, seriously?

It's a stupid student prank, no more, no less.

If it was a baby pig then its paedonecrobestiaphilia?

Advertisement