Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creatine and fitness

Options
  • 20-09-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Firstly I'm a gaa player who also does a lot of gym work on top of that.
    So I have been out injured the past month with a back injury and as a result I have been unable to train in any form (gym or field) par some press ups at home. During this period I had kept taking my 5g of creatine as I wanted to retain as much strength as possible. I had my first field session back this morning and I noticed my fitness was way off, obviously expected having not trained in so long. I have a very important game next week ie in 6 days time which I need to somehow get to my peak fitness in such a short amount of time. My question is would I now be better dropping the creatine for the next week in the hope of losing any water weight im carrying and then obviously becoming lighter and faster on my feet? Also I plan on doing 1 more gym session and 1 field session before the game.
    Any input at all would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Creative does noting for keeping strength. Your getting that fundamentally wrong here. Creatine will help you to push out a bit more when your working out. That's all it does. If your not working out for a sustained period of time you might as well have stopped taking it altogether as it's just being wasted - cause your not utilizing it.

It's a pity you have an important game when you have such a short time to regain your strength. I'd imagine it would take you a few weeks of training for you to be feeling any near where you last were so I'm afraid you don't have enough time. Maybe the game isn't a good idea if your feeling bad about it. I'd imagine loosing water won't make a significant difference so I'd say if your are going ahead with the game and your back training then continue taking the creatine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

colossus-x wrote: »
    Creative does noting for keeping strength. Your getting that fundamentally wrong here. Creatine will help you to push out a bit more when your working out. That's all it does.
    It might not help him retain strength, bit if he can manage an extra rep or two by taking it, then he is stronger vrs not taking it.
    If your not working out for a sustained period of time you might as well have stopped taking it altogether as it's just being wasted - cause your not utilizing it.
    Effects of creatine are cumulative. By continuing to take he it remains at saturation and doesn't be to build back up levels.

@HelloYoungBoy
    Match fitness will have dropped with a month off training, you simply can't regain this in a week. Especially when the best prep for the match will involve a few days rest. If you are prob to water retention with creatine then cutting it might drop a KG or two, but I doubt it'll have a big effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Thanks for the replies guys

@collossus-x let me rephrase that then, creatine has helped me to retain size. That much is certain. I had a gym session last night and I definitely didnt lose as much strength as I thought I would have either. Not playing the game is just not an option for me.

@Mellor I have decided to drop it anyway just to monitor how I react more than anything as it will definitely be useful to know going forward. Even the smallest of margins will make a difference, I'd rather be a kg or 2 lighter than carrying it unnecessarily

Advertisement