Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workout/Gym Attire?

Options
  • 18-09-2015 12:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey

Recently got into the whole fitness buzz over the past month - invested in a decent bit of equipment which I've started using and also joined a gym the other day.

Next step is what to wear but the problem is I haven't a stitch to wear and am wondering what you all slip into when working out?

I own a couple of hoodies but that's about it. I have no trackie bottoms/shorts/trainers/runners whatsoever

So any suggestions welcomed! (male, 6'2/3)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I wear baggy sweatpants for squats, but aside from that I wear anything I want; usually a hoodie and tracksuit or something.

As long as it's comfortable and isn't a full GAA kit, gym attire is up to you. A few cheap tracksuits from sportsworld should do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

Shorts (usually a pair of soccer shorts - so baggy enough), t-shirt and hoody.

I've seen people in the gym more interested in how they dress than what they do.

Just wear what you're comfortable in. Believe it or not. It doesn't really matter if things don't necessarily match!

Normal people don't care what you wear (within reason).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭My Darling Clementine

What about footwear guys?

Should I invest in a pair of runners or will sandals/flip flops do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Sandals or flip flops might look a bit silly, although I've seen lads in pyjamas turn up so it wouldn't be the worst thing people have seen.

Do you not have a pair of shoes or runners already?

Don't wear sandals/flip flops. Not the safest footwear to wear in a gym. Buy runners. A comfy pair that will facilitate a bit of running too if you felt like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Regarding footwear; depends on what you're doing. For the majority of cardio-based stuff, normal runners are fine, but if you're squatting/deadlifting heavy, anything with a cushioned heel is bad.

As for the rest of you; as long as it's not jeans, anything will do really. I always wear shorts (or tracksuit if laundry isn't up to date) and my old running t-shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Shorts, t-shirt, runners is what I wear.

Some people wear tracksuit bottoms but in summer do you really want to wear them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Shorts and an old t-shirt. Standard really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not one person has mentioned matching colours. YOU HAVE A DUTY OF CARE, PEOPLE!!!

Shorts, t-shirt, suitable footwear (running runners not really great for lifting weights - so flat shoes like Cons or cheapo cons from Penneys).

Sportsdirect.ie do lots of standard stuff for half nuttin.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Whatever you wear make sure its clean.
    If you finish a gym session leave your kit in the bag and the next day think its fine to wear..... it isn't.

With stinky people in the gym, its not usually them per se its the clothes they're wearing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

Magill wrote: »
    Shorts and an old t-shirt. Standard really.
    ;)
    I agree I was at the gym this morning and I wore my togs inside out , nobody noticed. I also observed people wearing the same clothes in the gym as they do outside the gym .Dont worry just go for it and remember "there's no pain without gain" or should it be "there's no gain without pain".:pac:

Cheers for the feedback guys :)

I've dug out a pair of never worn 75 euro Converse lads

Can I use these down the gym or am I better off buying a pair of runners?

Converse are fine for lifting. Might want/need something else to run in though.

I've dug out a pair of never worn 75 euro Converse lads

Can I use these down the gym or am I better off buying a pair of runners?

For weights they're spot on.

For running, less so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Today I wore a pink t-shirt with Prepay Power on it with blue shorts. I looked a bit mismatched but I worked harder than the well dressed people there. In short it doesn't matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

shorts, old converse and wifey. I lift to look good buuut zero care in the gym/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Era as long as you're not in jeans you're fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Era as long as you're not in jeans you're fine!

On a really busy day off last year I could only squeeze in the main lift on a morning session before having to cut things short and leave.
    Later on in the day a had half an hour to kill so I went back in to the gym dressed in regular clothes, jeans boots etc and got my swole on.
    As it wasn't my regular time for going in nobody in the gym knew who this weirdo was that just walked in, superseted bi's and tri 's in jeans and walked out.
    .... next time I'll do it in a high viz jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm quite picky as to what I wear. I have 5 or 6 pairs of shorts/ 3/4lengths all black bar one (grey), t-shirts are all grey or blue. All got from sportsdirects sale section.

Only thing I splashed out on was runners but that's cause I'm very flatfooted and needed additional support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Get two pairs of shorts,wash one wear one .any tshirt does me,cons are fine for your weights but might want to invest in a pair of runners if you are going to be doing any running or cardio ..oh maybe some sports socks ...as someone mentioned above don't leave them in gym bag and wear a few times ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

i work in an office, what should I wear?

I drive a bus what should I wear?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

The definitive guide

Does anyone actually care if your clothes are mismatched? I dress for comfort, not for style. I'm there to workout, not to look good for other people.

Does anyone actually care if your clothes are mismatched? I dress for comfort, not for style. I'm there to workout, not to look good for other people.

It's especially important for bilateral exercises from a psychological point of view. Mismatched clothing sends signals to the brain that mess with your synchronicity of movement and you end up being pinned on the bench and such like.

That and you look awwwwwful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wear whatever is comfortable.

I have a range of sleeveless t shirts, in such dapper colours as grey and navy. Actually they're all either grey or navy.

I set this off nicely with baggy cotton grey or navy shorts and rather fetching black converse chuck Taylor's. Fake converse that cost $8 in Vietnam 7 years ago. Tying laces optional.

Randomly dabbed lifting chalk is optional, but it polishes an outfit off nicely.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I was in Penneys yesterday and was staggered to see how cheap and high quality their gym/workout wear was

No excuses now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

shorts and a sports tshirt from tkmaxx, the difference here is that you can air dry the sports top fast and it doesn't get as sweaty. Normal tshirts are terrible for the gym if you are going to be doing cardio.

cons for lifting, normal runners for running as you dont want any cushioning for lifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I was in Penneys yesterday and was staggered to see how cheap and high quality their gym/workout wear was

No excuses now :)

I run and do yoga in the really cheap (3 for 8 EUR) Pennys t-shirts, not even the workout ones, just the regular stretchy t-shirts.
    I love 'em - the colours are great. The sizes are generous though - I'm two sizes less than I normally wear. That said, I like my exercise clothes to be really tight-fitting! But my advice is try them on first, if you've not bought them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

cons for lifting, normal runners for running as you dont want any cushioning for lifting.

Can I ask what is probably a very basic (and possibly ridiculous!) question? When you say cons are better for lifting, do you mean for deadlifts/ squats etc, or any kind of work with free weights e.g. biceps/ triceps/ chest/ back etc? I've only just started using weights really and wear normal runners, should I be looking at wearing something flatter?

Advertisement