Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies and gentlemen, the first ridiculous consequence of gender quotas

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

There's no smearing here at all.

I completely support quotas because I'm an egalitarian. This idea that there is only one form of egalitarianism and it is anti quotas is absolute nonsense.
    The posters labelling egalitarianism as 'equality of outcome' are generalizing about all egalitarians - when sources show that most egalitarians don't support that.

There is not a lot of literature showing - in the present - many 'equality of outcome' egalitarian views.

Sure, you have different branches within all movements, supporting a very wide array of different policies, but by and large egalitarianism does not seem to include support for such views - although propagandists will try and pull the trick, of finding the minority/outliers in a movement, and trying to paint the whole movement as holding their views (you see it with feminism most prominently), in order to smear a movement (not stating that of you, mainly of the publications I mentioned earlier).

What branches of egalitarian views, that are notable enough to have a specific name defining them, hold 'equality of outcome' views? (I'm sure that exists, but I'm not sure it's common enough to be notable)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I genuinely don't understand why people are arguing about, or confused over, whether or not this is discrimination.

It's fairly black and white from where I'm standing - if somebody is told "sorry, you didn't get position X, and the reason for that is because you are of the wrong gender", then that person has been discriminated against. Simple as. There's absolutely no difference between that and saying "sorry, you didn't get position X, and the reason for that is because your skin is the wrong colour".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I genuinely don't understand why people are arguing about, or confused over, whether or not this is discrimination.

It's fairly black and white from where I'm standing - if somebody is told "sorry, you didn't get position X, and the reason for that is because you are of the wrong gender", then that person has been discriminated against. Simple as. There's absolutely no difference between that and saying "sorry, you didn't get position X, and the reason for that is because your skin is the wrong colour".

Not only that but we are talking about legalized gender discrimination.

• Site Banned Posts: 32 Satan is Real

There's no smearing here at all.

I completely support quotas because I'm an egalitarian. This idea that there is only one form of egalitarianism and it is anti quotas is absolute nonsense.

Let's have a quota for straight people so. I mean you don't mind not getting the job because you're gay right?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

I will not be voting for any woman that is proven to be there as a result of a quota. This is discrimination.

If everyone followed suit the number of women actually elected would drop and the powers that be would learn a valuable lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

A quote from that paper:
    The radical ideal of equality of condition differs from the views of liberal egalitarians in all five dimensions.

There seems to be emphasis in that paper, of separating 'equality of outcome/condition' from egalitarianism - i.e. as a statement on how things are - though it recommends including equality of outcome in future egalitarian policy proscriptions - i.e. as a statement of how things should be in the future.

I just skimmed it, so maybe I misread, but that seems to indicate that egalitarianism is presently not about equality of outcome.

I provided a source earlier as well, that points out egalitarians tend to not support equality of outcome.

What equal opportunity means, legally and in reality is that if you have two people, one black man and one white man, with the same qualifications, by law YOU have to hire the black man.

If you have ONE white man and one WHITE woman, then you HAVE to hire the woman.

If you want Federal funding for your university then you have to have a minimum amount of women and minorities enrolled.

That is what "EQUAL OPPORTUNITY" actually means.

Frankly, we all have the opportunity to become politicians, this level of social engineering where the voting process is mico managed is entirely NOT ACCEPTABLE, even by the most crackpot leftist standards.

zeffabelli wrote: »
    What equal opportunity means, legally and in reality is that if you have two people, one black man and one white man, with the same qualifications, by law YOU have to hire the black man.

If you have ONE white man and one WHITE woman, then you HAVE to hire the woman.

If you want Federal funding for your university then you have to have a minimum amount of women and minorities enrolled.

That is what "EQUAL OPPORTUNITY" actually means.

Frankly, we all have the opportunity to become politicians, this level of social engineering where the voting process is mico managed is entirely NOT ACCEPTABLE, even by the most crackpot leftist standards.
    Just because someone writes a law implementing Equality of Outcome, and slaps the 'Equality of Opportunity' label on it, doesn't make that equality of opportunity.

What you describe above is not equality of opportunity, it is equality of outcome. They are not one and the same.

The same publications I was criticizing earlier, deliberately try to blur the lines between equality of opportunity and outcome, as a propaganda exercise - so that advocates of the former (equality of opportunity) can be smeared as supporting the latter (equality of outcome), so that they can be more easily attacked with straw-men (such as the straw-man I pointed out, of falsely claiming egalitarianism is about outcome-based views).

You're just restating the same debunked claims as earlier (trying to make a link between egalitarianism and outcome-based views), and are just changing tack/argument - and in this case, the arguments amounts to trying to state that black is white (that equality of opportunity amounts to equality of outcome).

Have you checked the publications, where you read about these views, for a history of propaganda/disinformation? If you can state which specific publications they are, I am quite certain I can find you ample evidence of propaganda/disinformation/provable-lies - which would make it foolish to trust anything written in such publications.

Just because someone writes a law implementing Equality of Outcome, and slaps the 'Equality of Opportunity' label on it, doesn't make that equality of opportunity.

What you describe above is not equality of opportunity, it is equality of outcome. They are not one and the same.

The same publications I was criticizing earlier, deliberately try to blur the lines between equality of opportunity and outcome, as a propaganda exercise - so that advocates of the former (equality of opportunity) can be smeared as supporting the latter (equality of outcome), so that they can be more easily attacked with straw-men (such as the straw-man I pointed out, of falsely claiming egalitarianism is about outcome-based views).

You're just restating the same debunked claims as earlier (trying to make a link between egalitarianism and outcome-based views), and are just changing tack/argument - and in this case, the arguments amounts to trying to state that black is white.

Have you checked the publications, where you read about these views, for a history of propaganda/disinformation? If you can state which specific publications they are, I am quite certain I can find you ample evidence of propaganda/disinformation/provable-lies - which would make it foolish to trust anything written in such publications.

You know when it says we are an EOE....that is what it means...it is a LEGAL definition.

Oh VEH.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Daith wrote: »
    I would actually be insulted if I was a women and only got the nod because of the quota.

Much like the BBC Panel shows that needed to have a least women female.

The female TDs voted against quotas when the lads wanted to bring them in

Despite poor Dáil representation, most women TDs do not want gender quotas, writes MARY MINIHAN
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/i-don-t-believe-quotas-are-a-solution-to-imbalance-1.632623

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

For some people sexism is something that only women can be the victim of.
    That don't want this view challenged so will ignore, dismiss or ridicule anything that challenges it.

• Advertisement

You know when it says we are an EOE....that is what it means...it is a LEGAL definition.

Oh VEH.
    Assume that means 'equal opportunity employer' - that's not what the subject is about.

Just because you slap a label on a law, or create a legal definition, doesn't mean that overrides/rewrites the actual definition, of a term like 'equality of opportunity' or 'egalitarianism'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For some people sexism is something that only women can be the victim of.
    That don't want this view challenged so will ignore, dismiss or ridicule anything that challenges it.

Only crazy US SJWs in my experience. Those who subscribe to the "you discrimination is ok if it's against 'privileged' people".

I wouldn't have thought this mentality was very prevalent in Ireland. Truth be told it's not all that prevalent in the US either, it's just that the US media tends to give a platform to muppetry, hence Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

I completely support quotas because I'm an egalitarian.

No doubt you also support restricting who should run for election because you are democrat.

The English language takes a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Only crazy US SJWs in my experience. Those who subscribe to the "you discrimination is ok if it's against 'privileged' people".

I wouldn't have thought this mentality was very prevalent in Ireland. Truth be told it's not all that prevalent in the US either, it's just that the US media tends to give a platform to muppetry, hence Donald Trump.
    You can see it on this thread.
    People minimising or outright dismissing what is being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bluewolf wrote: »
    The female TDs voted against quotas when the lads wanted to bring them in

No TD voted against this law in the Dail.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Not only that but we are talking about legalized gender discrimination.

Oh yeah the unofficial is so much better. When you organize politics in a way that makes it very hard for women to run. And then you decide that women don't want to be in politics anyway, they prefer minding kids and knitting. I'm not Irish and while I was very proud how Ireland dealt about same sex issues, the treatment of women in this country is absolutely appalling. And no that it's legalized more than 50% of population should have 30% representation on the ballot, not in the parliament, on the ballot, this is discrimination. Because only lesbians and feminazis would want to run anyway, the rest prefer knitting and let men deal with the important stuff.

Majority of EU countries are trying to do something to increase female representation. And in majority of EU countries my views would be fairly conservative, here I sometimes feel like some pinko liberal.

The news and the Internet always give a distortionist negative perspective on reality, enhancing inaporopriate cynicism.

Balanced news.... No such thing.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh yeah the unofficial is so much better. When you organize politics in a way that makes it very hard for women to run. And then you decide that women don't want to be in politics anyway, they prefer minding kids and knitting. I'm not Irish and while I was very proud how Ireland dealt about same sex issues, the treatment of women in this country is absolutely appalling. And no that it's legalized more than 50% of population should have 30% representation on the ballot, not in the parliament, on the ballot, this is discrimination. Because only lesbians and feminazis would want to run anyway, the rest prefer knitting and let men deal with the important stuff.

Majority of EU countries are trying to do something to increase female representation. And in majority of EU countries my views would be fairly conservative, here I sometimes feel like some pinko liberal.

I've already mentioned how I think that female representation can be increased properly, to encourage candidates with ability to do the job.

What's your point?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Running as a TD or an MP over here is an incredibly arduous process which inherently excludes the vast majority of people. It costs a fortune to run a campaign so parties are more likely to choose people who can fund their own. In addition, a candidate will need a lot of volunteers, office premises, etc. I don't think that anyone will disagree with the idea that politics is a traditionally male profession. However, this is changing and it's a bit insulting for you to insinuate that men hold women in such low regarding that all of them would prefer to knit.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

it's a bit insulting for you to insinuate that men hold women in such low regarding that all of them would prefer to knit.

I suppose that it's the easy way out, to lay blame at the door of the male chauvinist bogeyman rather than attempt to construct a cogent argument in favour of gender quotas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Running as a TD or an MP over here is an incredibly arduous process which inherently excludes the vast majority of people. It costs a fortune to run a campaign so parties are more likely to choose people who can fund their own. In addition, a candidate will need a lot of volunteers, office premises, etc. I don't think that anyone will disagree with the idea that politics is a traditionally male profession. However, this is changing and it's a bit insulting for you to insinuate that men hold women in such low regarding that all of them would prefer to knit.
    You might be insulted but Ireland has I think the highest (or one of the highest) percentages of people outside work force in EU (not unemployed) and they are predominantly women. The policies are very much stacked against women when you look at reproductive rights or the possibilities bro work after having kids.

It's not that I don't really like this country and I actually believe many things are great about it but I do find the idea that the men are discriminated against in politics a bit laughable. (There is discrimination of men around fathers rights. )

You might be insulted but Ireland has I think the highest (or one of the highest) percentages of people outside work force in EU (not unemployed) and they are predominantly women. The policies are very much stacked against women when you look at reproductive rights or the possibilities bro work after having kids.

It's not that I don't really like this country and I actually believe many things are great about it but I do find the idea that the men are discriminated against in politics a bit laughable. (There is discrimination of men around fathers rights. )

Between the cost of childcare, and the abortion laws, I have to agree with you.

We are breeding cattle.....no more.

The idea that women politicians will do more for women is stupid. JOan Burton I think still technically qualifies as a woman, and what has she done?

Nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Do you have a source for your former claim? I'll cede your point about reproductive rights but progress is being made in helping women who've had children to make progress in their careers.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Do you have a source for your former claim? I'll cede your point about reproductive rights but progress is being made in helping women who've had children to make progress in their careers.

Like what?

Like what?

Unemployment statistics.

H. H. Asquith

Unemployment statistics.

How do unemployment statistics help women who have had kids?

How do unemployment statistics help women who have had kids?

I was asking if there was a source for the claim that most of the unemployed were women and that it was down to sexism.

H. H. Asquith

I do find the idea that the men are discriminated against in politics a bit laughable.

I think that you understand that a gender quota is legalized gender discrimination but you think that it is somehow fair enough because gender quotas suit your agenda.

Is that about right?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭joe_six_cans

I was asking if there was a source for the claim that most of the unemployed were women and that it was down to sexism.

id be interested in a source for that too , i do know that single women under thirty five earn more than their male counterparts on average and that the recession effected male workers more negatively , makes sense of course as the construction sector saw the biggest decline and it was overwhelmingly male

Advertisement