Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Absolam wrote: »
    it doesn't appear I am the one pretending points weren't made.

Except it does, multiple times. Just because you do not like, or understand, my answer does not for one minute magically mean the answer was not given. No matter how many times you imply or pretend otherwise.
    Can we also agree that the rights a foetus has (and according to some should or should not have) are relevant to the discussion?

Why do I need to "agree" with it when I specifically said as much myself? My whole point is that since no one, least of all you, has shown an argument why the fetus should have rights AT ALL, there is therefore no valid intellectual basis I have seen for being opposed to abortion.

That is my entire point on the thread and there is little else I need to say since no one has rebutted it, even a little bit.
    If you had never expressed an opinion on why you do not think that we should afford a foetus rights

Except I did express that opinion and explained my basis for it. So your "IF" is irrelevant to me here and your continuing to pretend I did not give an answer when I in fact did.... despite opening up your post pretending you are doing no such thing.... is as transparent as it is blatant.
    It seem to me

Then try to move past what "SEEMS" true to you, and present an actual argument that it IS so. Because your "seems" here in no way other than possibly outright assertion, logically leads to affording a non-sentient, non-conscious entity, lacking even the faculties to produce those things at all, human rights. Not to mention that the argument "It SEEMS we do it in context X and Y so let us assume it in context Z too" is particularly weak nonsense, yet is pretty much all that can be distilled from your attempt.
    So now, there you have a single coherent argument

Except it is anything but. It is an assertion based on nothing but a "seems". None of which you have lent any actual substance or argument to.
    Feel free to discuss the topic

I need not your permission to do so given it is ALL I have been doing so far in the face of your attempts to derail. But by all means feel free to discuss the actual topic yourself. It is a welcome change.
    you know yourself where you're dodging

Yes. I do. Nowhere. At all. And as you said I know it. And I suspect you, and everyone else reading the thread, do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Except it does, multiple times. Just because you do not like, or understand, my answer does not for one minute magically mean the answer was not given. No matter how many times you imply or pretend otherwise.
    Sure. Since you're not being specific, and it doesn't address the topic, I'll just file that in with the rest of the deliberately obtuse meandering waffle and avoid censure.
    Why do I need to "agree" with it when I specifically said as much myself?
    You don't need to, I'm asking do you, as what you actually said wasn't specifically what I said. If on re-reading you conclude it was, I'll point out the differences for you, but I'd suggest it would constitute you discussing an off-topic subject.
    My whole point is that since no one, least of all you, has shown an argument why the fetus should have rights AT ALL, there is therefore no valid intellectual basis I have seen for being opposed to abortion.
    Though... I did show an argument. You actually saw it this time, because you pointed out your disagreement with it's phrasing.
    Except I did express that opinion and explained my basis for it. So your "IF" is irrelevant to me here and your continuing to pretend I did not give an answer when I in fact did.... despite opening up your post pretending you are doing no such thing.... is as transparent as it is blatant.
    Well I did say If you had never expressed a particular opinion, or if you had. But since you think the prelude was irrelevant to you, let's stick with the main question. Would you flatly exclude a foetus from the possibility of having rights that you afford to other things, and if so, on what basis, bearing in mind that you have clearly stated that you do not think that we should afford a foetus rights because you can see no reason for it, which does not actually exclude a foetus from he possibility of having rights that you afford to other things.
    Then try to move past what "SEEMS" true to you, and present an actual argument that it IS so. Because your "seems" here in no way other than possibly outright assertion, logically leads to affording a non-sentient, non-conscious entity, lacking even the faculties to produce those things at all, human rights.
    That doesn't actually appear to be a reason to move past what seems to be the case to me (I didn't mention anything that seems true to me)? If it seems not to be the case to you feel free to dispute it, but disputing whether something 'seems' or 'is' would appear to be veering off topic into deliberately obtuse meandering waffle .
    I will say that since a non-sentient, non-conscious entity, lacking even the faculties to produce those things at all (as you put it) is afforded a specific human right, what seems to be the case to me marrys quite well with the observable facts. What do you think?
    Not to mention that the argument "It SEEMS we do it in context X and Y so let us assume it in context Z too" is particularly weak nonsense, yet is pretty much all that can be distilled from your attempt.
    I don't know whether it is a weak argument; you'd probably have to fit something into your X Y and Zs to test it. But I didn't say in context anything and anything so let us assume anything, so it doesn't seem to be applicable to my argument anyway.
    Except it is anything but. It is an assertion based on nothing but a "seems". None of which you have lent any actual substance or argument to.
    Well, I'd suggest the sum of the parts is the argument; if there are any parts lacking substance if you'd like to point out what each one lacks I'll see if I can fill it out for you. So long as you don't feel the parts are off topic, obviously.
    I need not your permission to do so given it is ALL I have been doing so far in the face of your attempts to derail. But by all means feel free to discuss the actual topic yourself. It is a welcome change.
    I certainly wasn't giving you permission, I was, once again, inviting. I'll avoid getting into your assertions about who's doing what... we don't want to get into deliberately obtuse meandering waffle again.
    Yes. I do. Nowhere. At all. And as you said I know it. And I suspect you, and everyone else reading the thread, do too.
    Well it's all there to be read anyway, so we can satisfactorily leave that aside as being off topic too, eh?

Sure. Since you're not being specific

More of your distortions. I have been HIGHLY specific about my point and the basis for it. Your continued need to pretend otherwise rather than actually address what I have said, is your failing not mine and you can file your own deliberate obtuse meandering waffle whatever way you feel the need without pretending falsely that I am engaged in any.
    You don't need to ........ You actually saw it this time, because you pointed out your disagreement with it's phrasing.

And I saw it and referred to it before despite you wishing to pretend otherwise for reasons known only to you at this point. I have been very clear what my point is and for whatever reason you want to pretend otherwise. Who other than yourself you think your deliberately obtuse meandering waffle is fooling, I honestly do not know.
    Would you flatly exclude a foetus from the possibility of having rights

Once again: I have been very clear when, why, and on what basis, I exclude the fetus from having rights. I am happy to repeat myself when necessary as always, but I am not happy to do so merely to fuel someone else's deliberately obtuse meandering waffle and dishonest pretense that I have not said things I actually have.
    That doesn't actually appear to be a reason to move past what seems to be the case to me

That has nothing to do with me. My only point was no one, least of all you, has shown me any coherent argument for affording a fetus rights. Or for affording rights to anything entirely lacking in even the basic structures required to produce sentience or consciousness.

What "seems" to be true to you in your deliberately obtuse meandering waffle does not change that point unless you can move past the "seems" and actually construct a coherent argument for it. As I am interested only in what arguments, evidence, data or reasoning people can produce for their position, not whether they want to talk about how their own position "seems" to them.
    I was, once again, inviting.

And I repeat, I require no such thing to do what I have been doing all along, and only you have been failing to. I have made a point relevant to the thread, relevant to abortion, and relevant to the fetus. And I have stuck to that point regardless of all the deliberately obtuse meandering waffle you have used to try to derail it, me, and the thread.
    Well it's all there to be read anyway, so we can satisfactorily leave that aside as being off topic too, eh?

That would be my recommendation for you indeed given it is there for all to read any I have actually avoided nothing despite your ongoing pretense to the contrary in your deliberately obtuse meandering waffle.

More of your distortions. I have been HIGHLY specific about my point and the basis for it. Your continued need to pretend otherwise rather than actually address what I have said, is your failing not mine and you can file your own deliberate obtuse meandering waffle whatever way you feel the need without pretending falsely that I am engaged in any.
    Unless your going to provide quotes (and perhaps even if you do) I think I'll stick with what I just said thanks. For the avoidance of doubt, that was "Since you're not being specific, and it doesn't address the topic, I'll just file that in with the rest of the deliberately obtuse meandering waffle and avoid censure.".
    And I saw it and referred to it before despite you wishing to pretend otherwise for reasons known only to you at this point. I have been very clear what my point is and for whatever reason you want to pretend otherwise. Who other than yourself you think your deliberately obtuse meandering waffle is fooling, I honestly do not know.
    You mixed a couple of points together there (you signified it with a ........), which makes your reply somewhat obtuse. If you'd like to specify which one you're replying to, I'm happy to discuss.
    Once again: I have been very clear when, why, and on what basis, I exclude the fetus from having rights
    Actually, you've been very clear (and repetitive) about the fact that you do not think that we should afford a foetus rights because you can see no reason for it, and to be fair I've agreed that you've expressed that opinion, as well as pointing out (which you omitted from your quote) that such an opinion does not actually exclude a foetus from the possibility of having rights that you afford to other things, hence the question. Once again.
    That has nothing to do with me.
    Well, it rather does if you're directing me to move past it? Which is what you did.
    My only point was no one, least of all you, has shown me any coherent argument for affording a fetus rights. Or for affording rights to anything entirely lacking in even the basic structures required to produce sentience or consciousness.
    And my point was that since a non-sentient, non-conscious entity, lacking even the faculties to produce those things at all (as you put it) is afforded a specific human right, what seems to be the case to me (even though you feel it has nothing to do with you) marrys quite well with the observable facts. Do you think repeating the points adds anything to either of them?
    What "seems" to be true to you in your deliberately obtuse meandering waffle does not change that point unless you can move past the "seems" and actually construct a coherent argument for it. As I am interested only in what arguments, evidence, data or reasoning people can produce for their position, not whether they want to talk about how their own position "seems" to them.
    I think I already pointed out that I never said anything about what seems to be true to me. And that you haven't given anything that appears to be a reason to move past what seems to be the case to me, despite your direction to do so. Which leaves us where we were before you repeated yourself I think... Except for the fact that I didn't meander into discussing whether we want to talk about our how positions seem to us; that's all down to you I'm afraid. And quite off topic I'd say.
    And I repeat, I require no such thing to do what I have been doing all along, and only you have been failing to. I have made a point relevant to the thread, relevant to abortion, and relevant to the fetus. And I have stuck to that point regardless of all the deliberately obtuse meandering waffle you have used to try to derail it, me, and the thread.
    Yes you certainly do repeat. Fear not; I don't imagine you require an invite, I was being courteous. I'll avoid getting into your assertions about who's doing what, again. And for the same reasons.
    That would be my recommendation for you indeed given it is there for all to read any I have actually avoided nothing despite your ongoing pretense to the contrary in your deliberately obtuse meandering waffle.
    Well it's nice to know you endorse my suggestion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

200016001-001-girl-eating-cotton-candy-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=2cF%2FTnQ0twNK5GBrTHeFP3kkprPL9fcPB4HSSw7JF2UrDFum1h3r8o5KwcHqb91L

• Advertisement

Shrap wrote: »
    200016001-001-girl-eating-cotton-candy-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=2cF%2FTnQ0twNK5GBrTHeFP3kkprPL9fcPB4HSSw7JF2UrDFum1h3r8o5KwcHqb91L
    Dammit Shrap, have you not been reading everything that's been posted? Candy floss is OFF TOPIC and you haven't even tried to produce arguments, evidence, data or reasoning that show it's relevant to a point that hasn't been repeated at least five times.

Oops.. I think this post is off topic.....

Oops.. I think this post is off topic.....

At least its succinct. We may yet save this thread if we try ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

At least its succinct. We may yet save this thread if we try ;)

It's getting to the stage where it needs to be aborted!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Abortion jokes, classy.

Interesting to hear Katie Price talk about how she would've had an abortion on her son if she'd known he was blind. This is one of the reasons why we have the 8th amendment in place; to stop silly women making irrational decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Abortion jokes, classy.

Interesting to hear Katie Price talk about how she would've had an abortion on her son if she'd known he was blind. This is one of the reasons why we have the 8th amendment in place; to stop silly women making irrational decisions.

Classy.
    How does the 8th stop me from having an abortion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Abortion jokes, classy.

Yeah you're right, abortion jokes really do just scrape the bottom of the barrel/vagina.

Unless your going to provide quotes (and perhaps even if you do) I think I'll stick with what I just said thanks.

If you want to stick to a distorted fantasy sure. In reality however I've been MORE than clear on my position on abortion, my position on why there is no coherent argument for affording the fetus rights, and my basis for that position.

You ignoring or not understanding that position.... is not the same as me not having been clear on it. And your obtuse meandering waffle to the contrary is unlikely to fool anyone but yourself.
    This is one of the reasons why we have the 8th amendment in place; to stop silly women making irrational decisions.

Nothing irrational or silly about it. If there are no moral arguments against very early term abortions, and there certainly have been none on this thread, then it is quite rational to identify problems early in the process and abort and start again if and when we find flaws that the parent wants to avoid. Perhaps you have a rational argument about why you think that irrational rather than just, you know, asserting it to be so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Abortion jokes, classy.

Good man Frosty, philogyny in abundance as usual.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is one of the reasons why we have the 8th amendment in place; to stop silly women making irrational decisions.

I know!
    Those women and their ovary's and periods, always ensuring they make can't think straight. Sure women can't be trusted at all and they get emotional at the drop of a hat. Just imagine, Ireland once had a women president...how crazy is that!
    :rolleyes:

Sorry but I can't take somebody seriously (you) who believes the catholic church has properly handled the abuse that has happened in Ireland over its history. imho at this stage I just see you as a troll looking for a reaction.

to stop silly women making irrational decisions.

That's funny. It's like a quote out of the 19th century about giving "silly" women the vote!

In this century, discovering you and your potential child would be in for a lifetime of dealing with a severe disability, it would be a very rational decision to have an abortion instead of bringing a child into a world of hardship. I can tell you right now that if medical science could "see" autism, I would have taken a trip to the UK for an abortion and the 8th wouldn't have stopped me at all.

If you want to stick to a distorted fantasy sure. In reality however I've been MORE than clear on my position on abortion, my position on why there is no coherent argument for affording the fetus rights, and my basis for that position. You ignoring or not understanding that position.... is not the same as me not having been clear on it. And your obtuse meandering waffle to the contrary is unlikely to fool anyone but yourself.
    Oh, I hardly think "Since you're not being specific, and it doesn't address the topic, I'll just file that in with the rest of the deliberately obtuse meandering waffle and avoid censure" is a distorted fantasy (though I'll admit, on past form, you might). But since I wasn't referring to you being specific about abortion, I think we're still consigning this particular line to the deliberately obtuse meandering waffle pile; you're obviously not providing quotes (for obvious reasons).

Still, if that's all you're railing against at this stage, I guess it's progress of sorts.

Again I've been MORE than clear on my position on abortion, my position on why there is no coherent argument for affording the fetus rights, and my basis for that position. You ignoring or not understanding that position.... is not the same as me not having been clear on it so your deliberately obtuse meandering waffle to the contrary is little more than fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Abortion jokes, classy.

You need help with your red pill addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Abortion jokes, classy.

Don't you have a lovely girls competition to judge?

Again I've been MORE than clear on my position on abortion, my position on why there is no coherent argument for affording the fetus rights, and my basis for that position.
    Are you sure? I may need to go back and check on that..... In the meantime though, that wasn't what we were talking about. But thanks for pointing it out all the same?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Abortion jokes, classy.

how do you presume to get up on the high horse while at the same time patting women on the head and essentially saying, "don't worry, frostyjacks knows what's best for you"?

If you can read this, you're too close!

That's funny. It's like a quote out of the 19th century about giving "silly" women the vote!

And the 20th century...

Are you sure? I may need to go back and check on that..... In the meantime though, that wasn't what we were talking about. But thanks for pointing it out all the same?

Entirely sure yes. No idea what you think we were talking about, I was however talking about abortion, the fetus, and the reason I see no basis for affording rights to it.

Entirely sure yes. No idea what you think we were talking about, I was however talking about abortion, the fetus, and the reason I see no basis for affording rights to it.

Oh for the love of FSM and his noodly appendages, will the two of you just leave it already! You're arguing about arguing about what you're arguing about! It is no more a coherent debate than just both of you trying to get the last word in.

The US Supreme Court is split on the ‘most important abortion case in a generation’
    The case before the justices challenges a 2013 Texas law which imposes restrictions on abortion clinics – measures activists say have forced more than half of the state’s 41 centres to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Your posts do a lot to reinforce the religious misogynist stereotype! Is it intentional?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robdonn wrote: »
    The case before the justices challenges a 2013 Texas law which imposes restrictions on abortion clinics – measures activists say have forced more than half of the state’s 41 centres to close.

Before anyone says the requirements for the clinic having hospital admission privileges and also 8 feet wide hallways seem reasonable...the requirements are utter bull****.

There's less risk in an abortion when compared to birth centers that do not have these same requirements. The people that want these laws no that hospitals are reluctant to offer admission privileges to abortion clinics because they'll get slack for doing so.

John Oliver explains this in details

• Registered Users Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

So some of the male S.C. justices are having to rely on the canard that the Texas laws on facility building structure being questioned are NOT connected in any way with the facility closures, that it's just coincidental. I'm hoping that it's just devil's advocate work to get both sides to state their cases to the best of their ability. Hopefully the Texan AG will trip up, flounder and be forced to state in open court that the new state laws governing the abortion clinics are just a deliberate plan to subvert the pregnant woman's lawful right to right to an abortion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement