Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Marengo wrote: »
    EOTR

Don't feed them! You're currently being harassed by a large group of posters.

All questioning you as if you were in a court of law. While 50 posters only have to question you once or twice. You're being harassed and expected to reply coherently to them all. And they know that.

Trying to trip up a good man with quotes from 9 months ago said in different contexts :)

The concept of harassment is under great scrutiny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

EOTR

All questioning you as if you were in a court of law. While 50 posters only have to question you once or twice. You're being harassed and expected to reply coherently to them all. And they know that.

Trying to trip up a good man with quotes from 9 months ago said in different contexts :)

we are an eternally hopeful bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Like when I successfully tripped him up when he vehemently denied he said abortion is murder with a list of his posts where he explicitly stated that abortion was in fact murder and to the best of my knowledge he didn’t post in that thread afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ok. Let’s lay it out step by step.

If the protest /information point were legal, not harrassment, and provided accurate information not bias and not graphic imagery, then it may save lives.

Thats being evasive. Do you have a problem with that group targeting women as described in my posts and on the podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Odhinn

EOTR

Heaven forfend.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

You missed the even funnier event where someone on this very thread tried to trip me up by entirely misquoting me from TEN YEARS ago.

The humour of which was exacerbated by the fact he clearly did not understand the quote and actually quoted something that made my point for me.

Pretty desperate as these things go. But I guess when you are REALLY against abortion but REALLY have no actual anti abortion arguments..... desperation comes naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

EOTR

Dont worry - its like a dance and we all know all the steps.

EOTR will now disappear from the thread for long enough for the conversation to move on.

Then after a while, he will reappear, go through the same motions of not providing evidence for his assertions, chopping and changing what he says, refusing to answer direct question, wallpapering threads with nonsensical assertions, denial of what he has said in the past and endless repetition of non factual opinion that he claims to be fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

If the protest /information point were legal, not harrassment, and provided accurate information not bias and not graphic imagery, then it may save lives.

It may lead someone contemplating an abortion to change their mind and to have the child rather than going ahead with a termination.

By that argument, protesting condoms and the contraceptive pill may save lives, so do you think these people should protest outside pharmacies too?

And a question I like to ask people on this thread:
    Do you think miscarriages should be investigated like any other sudden death?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

You're being harassed and expected to reply coherently to them all. And they know that.

It's harassment to expect someone to reply coherently to requests for supporting arguments?

It's been 3 days, any chance of a rebuttal EOTR?

Funny, you had plenty to say before I showed my noggin and a list of posts of you contradicting your own arguments.

I'll accept a simple "I'm wrong, disregard my argument".

• Advertisement

It's been 3 days, any chance of a rebuttal EOTR?

Ah stop - youre changing the dance steps!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

while yer waiting .....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/dublin-clinic-was-identified-as-location-to-target-women-9rk7knklw

A Dublin crisis pregnancy service told an American anti-abortion organisation of a potential location where women seeking abortions could be intercepted.

Gianna Care, an anti-abortion crisis pregnancy agency, was approved by SAFL as its first European location and until Monday was listed as the group’s Irish branch on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

https://twitter.com/Berlinnaeus/status/1099943572911128577
    Can the Lord Mayor of Dublin, Nial Ring, explain why he hosted a fundraiser for Gianna Care, an unregulated crisis pregnancy agency which has been accused of deliberately misleading vulnerable people and, as recently as last week, was linked with US extremists? @nialring

Life ain't always empty.

He's good at the ould fundraising :

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/lord-mayor-nial-ring-raises-over-1m-to-save-his-home-from-bank-sale-37796201.html
    Dublin’s Lord Mayor Nial Ring has managed to save his home from a bank sale after raising well over €1m to pay off debts he owes Bank Of Ireland Mortgage Bank, the Circuit Civil Court heard today Friday.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/bishop-hails-anti-abortion-agencys-arrival-323f6ckc3#

The Bishop of Waterford and Lismore has welcomed an anti-abortion agency that is expanding in his diocese.

Bishop Alphonsus Cullinan praised Gianna Care a day after The Times revealed that the group had been working with a US group that teaches activists how to intercept women trying to access abortion services.

The agency was approved by Sidewalk Advocates for Life (Safl) as its first European location and, until Monday, was listed as the group’s Irish branch on its website

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Can the lord Mayor be recalled? Since Dublin was so overwhelmingly pro-repeal, this can't be what his constituents (such as they are) wanted.

Time for him to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Igotadose wrote: »
    Can the lord Mayor be recalled? Since Dublin was so overwhelmingly pro-repeal, this can't be what his constituents (such as they are) wanted.

Time for him to go.

well that is very unlikely to happen until the next election whenever that is . his over-all work is what matters and that will decide at the elections what will happen. not abortion or anything in relation to it, including this fundraiser for this particular group.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Bredabe

well that is very unlikely to happen until the next election whenever that is . his over-all work is what matters and that will decide at the elections what will happen. not abortion or anything in relation to it, including this fundraiser for this particular group.

Not a hope of us voting for him and this is because of this issue. He either didn't do his research or is courting the extream NO sector, neither of which I would want anyone who represents me to have any contact with.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Address those who have challenged your statements.

Time for him to go.

His constituents are dublin city councillors. they are the ones that elected him.

• Advertisement

Bredabe wrote: »
    Not a hope of us voting for him and this is because of this issue. He either didn't do his research or is courting the extream NO sector, neither of which I would want anyone who represents me to have any contact with.

There isn't for any of us voting for him because we dont get a say in his election. Assuming that nobody here is a dublin city councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Bredabe

His constituents are dublin city councillors. they are the ones that elected him.
    Doesnt he have to be elected to the cllr first tho?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Bredabe wrote: »
    Doesnt he have to be elected to the cllr first tho?

So, yeah, the pressure should be brought on the DCC. Now, I think the DCC controls a way bigger budget and has more serious things to deal with than the bog council out here in West Kerry, so maybe their counsellors are a bit more savvy. Dublin voted big time to repeal. Reminding the council candidates of that when it comes to who they vote for, for Lord Mayor, should be pretty simple to do.

(We're also looking to get after some of the Kerry county council in the next election, the gombeens were openly anti-8th *and* a couple of them invited Trump to come speak a year or two ago. Losers, need to get off the public payroll)

So, yeah, the pressure should be brought on the DCC. Now, I think the DCC controls a way bigger budget and has more serious things to deal with than the bog council out here in West Kerry, so maybe their counsellors are a bit more savvy. Dublin voted big time to repeal. Reminding the council candidates of that when it comes to who they vote for, for Lord Mayor, should be pretty simple to do.

(We're also looking to get after some of the Kerry county council in the next election, the gombeens were openly anti-8th *and* a couple of them invited Trump to come speak a year or two ago. Losers, need to get off the public payroll)

Any chance of doing the same for the healy rae tools?

Do as ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/woman-tells-vatican-summit-abuser-priest-forced-her-to-have-abortions-1.3801478

Catholic Church leaders from around the world have heard an African woman describe being abused from the age of 15 for 13 years by a priest, who she says forced her to have three abortions.

This was “quite simply because he did not want to use condoms or contraceptives”, she said. The priest would not allow her to have boyfriends and beat her if she refused him sex, she added.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Both sides have their own reasons for voting for or against, why be angry to those that are against abortion, we have to accept each others ideas

goat2 wrote: »
    Both sides have their own reasons for voting for or against, why be angry to those that are against abortion, we have to accept each others ideas

Because those that are against abortion think they can force their morality on others.

The difference between the two is that the people who are against abortion want to prevent everyone else from accessing abortion.

The pro choice side are happy for people to make their own decisions.

Forcing your morality on someone else is the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I have no problem accepting others ideas, it's that they won't accept the result of the referendum, they won't accept that the majority of people voted to allow abortion.

If the vote had gone the other way you wouldn't be hearing a peep from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the vote had gone the other way you wouldn't be hearing a peep from them.

Damn right. Just like for 35 years they weren't interested in rectifying any of the defects of the 8th amendment. Opposed travel amendment. Opposed information. Opposed X case. Opposed Protection of Life During Prenancy Act 2013. Not a millimetre from them. Until with a couple of days to go with a heavy defeat staring them in the face (from their private polls and canvassing returns they knew how it was going) they started coming out with "well if we keep the 8th we can then amend it to deal with the hard cases"

Yeah Right! As If! No interest whatsoever from them for 35 years in how the 8th amendment harmed women. They didn't give a damn and it's clear now they still don't.

Life ain't always empty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement