Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk 5km in 45mins with no training

Options
  • 16-09-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is doing a PT course and has signed me up as one of her case studies. Now I am super unfit to the extent were just doing the heart rate test last weekend was difficult (powerwalked for 1.6min in 13mins with a hangover).

She's asked me to now walk 5km in 40-45mins based on that time. I was literally huffing and puffing after the 1.6km there is no way I could have done that 2 more times. I asked her was the 45min "the goal over a few weeks or from the start" and she said it was from the start. I have 0% fitness and to me this seems totally unachievable. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

That sounds very very wrong. 5km in an hour is a brisk enough walking pace, in 40 minutes you would need to be running parts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

For someone who is super unfit I think this could be even dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

yeah that's ridiculous, that's a pretty damn good walking pace. it's not outside the realm of human ability or anything but if you're just starting out you'll burn out long before you can get much benefit from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I'm unfit and I walk a little slower than that (if Fitbit is to be trusted) but that is after months of walking seriously and years of walking to work. I guess it depends on exactly how unfit you are and how much you are supposed to be pushing yourself.

It doesn't seem wise to just take 13 minutes of heavy exertion that left you breathless and times 3 everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

anniehoo wrote: »
    A friend of mine is doing a PT course and has signed me up as one of her case studies. Now I am super unfit to the extent were just doing the heart rate test last weekend was difficult (powerwalked for 1.6min in 13mins with a hangover).

She's asked me to now walk 5km in 40-45mins based on that time. I was literally huffing and puffing after the 1.6km there is no way I could have done that 2 more times. I asked her was the 45min "the goal over a few weeks or from the start" and she said it was from the start. I have 0% fitness and to me this seems totally unachievable. What do you guys think?

I think your friend has oceans to learn if she ever wants to be a PT...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

reklamos wrote: »
    For someone who is super unfit I think this could be even dangerous.

Bit strong

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It gets easier , just keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Oswin

I agree this sounds excessive. I would walk a lot and be pretty fit and I would still consider 6km per hour a brisk pace, think I would have to run to go any faster than that!

I think initially you'd have to choose to work on either increasing the length of time you're walking or the speed but not both together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I started walking laps of 5km and increased the distance over time, after a few months I'm doing 20km a day minimum and now increasing speed
    6km an hour is my average now
    Keep at it, you will get there

She is expecting a bit much of you straight away to be honest

It's great for losing weight I've shifted 24lb now since May

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I would say it's very achievable for someone of average fitness. I can walk 5k in 40mins but I've walked to work in town (5k away)for years. But for a beginner definitely not.
    Do you know the criteria your friend has to look for in a case study is she trying to fit you into an average fitness category you're just not in yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I find google maps gives reasonable estimates. My work route shows as 7km and suggests a time of 1hr 23mins. I know I have done it in about 70mins walking reaonably fast, so about 10mins per km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Do it at your own pace and screw yout friend to put it nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you want to do it, OP. Do it to the best of your ability. If it takes longer than the time your friend set out, so be it. You're not going to be executed.

But you might well be surprised at how close to 45 minutes you get. it might not feel as much of a struggle minus a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭The Davestator

discus wrote: »
    That sounds very very wrong. 5km in an hour is a brisk enough walking pace, in 40 minutes you would need to be running parts of it.

Ah here! 5 km/h is not a brisk pace! Although, I agree that to do it in 40, you'd need to be jogging part if not most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ask your friend to do it first. The purpose here is not to see if she can do it, but rather give her an idea of what's asking you to do. As others have said, most people would need to jog lightly in parts to achieve 9 minute kilometres. I can run 5k in less than 20, but I'd have difficulty doing that 40 minute walk from a physiological point of view in terms of how quickly I'd need to move my legs while still maintaining a walking stride.

In terms of effort, asking you to walk 5k in 45 minutes is about on a par with asking you to run 5k in 30. It would probably actually be easier for you to try jog it than walk it.

Advertisement