Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Work Experience opportunities in Geology

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2 adamtayl0r


    Hello!

    I am looking for a change in career and want to look at different options in Geology. As such I have a few questions I hope someone may answer;

    Where are the best places to look for voluntary/work-placement type positions?

    How is the sector currently looking in terms of future employment prospects and funding?

    I do not currently possess a Geology degree (I hold a BSc Disaster Management), just a healthy knowledge of the subject. To what extent might this hold me back from moving into this field without going back to university?


Comments



  • adamtayl0r wrote: »
    Hello!

    I am looking for a change in career and want to look at different options in Geology. As such I have a few questions I hope someone may answer;

    Where are the best places to look for voluntary/work-placement type positions?

    How is the sector currently looking in terms of future employment prospects and funding?

    I do not currently possess a Geology degree (I hold a BSc Disaster Management), just a healthy knowledge of the subject. To what extent might this hold me back from moving into this field without going back to university?

    Hi there,

    I'll start off with I'm not trying to be negative in any way, just helpful and realistic. I've studied geology and while I don't work in that field hopefully I can give a little insight, I'm sure there are other people who can help even more than me.

    First of all geology is a huge field, have you considered what area you'd potentially like to work in? Also with the geological knowledge you do have, can you identify different minerals and rocks types? Do you understand stratigraphy or what about metamorphic petrology. Can you use GIS? These just a few different things, it really depends on the field you are in.

    I would say without going back to study geology and gain a relevant degree in it you would have little hope of getting into a field unless you had a significant amount of experience. TCD, UCD and NUIG produce geology gradates each year, many of whom go onto do masters and PhD's, so there is quite a lot of competition for low end graduate jobs.

    Again I'm not trying to be dismissive or negative just realistic and make you think about getting into geology.

    Stephen




  • Step23 wrote: »

    I would say without going back to study geology and gain a relevant degree in it you would have little hope of getting into a field unless you had a significant amount of experience. TCD, UCD and NUIG produce geology gradates each year, many of whom go onto do masters and PhD's, so there is quite a lot of competition for low end graduate jobs.

    This was my biggest fear as I currently can't afford to fund myself a masters or conversion course.




  • adamtayl0r wrote: »
    This was my biggest fear as I currently can't afford to fund myself a masters or conversion course.

    Just another point from my own observations from looking at Geology/Enviro Science job specs;

    Most low end jobs in geology/environmental science type jobs, either ask for a relevant degree or several years experience, so work experience wise you'd possibly need anywhere between 3 - 5 years of voluntary work somewhere... So it would seem going back to college would be your best option, although as you say you can't afford it at the moment. Hopefully you can save up and possibly do it in the future.

    Best of luck with whatever you do.

    Stephen




  • Any luck?




  • What's Disaster Management and why can't he do that for a living?


  • Advertisement
Advertisement