Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insanity work out

Options
  • 16-09-2015 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

Hi trying to off load a bit of weight. Eating clean recently. Tried the above workout. Thing is I'm unable to do push-ups. Now I've searched around and been told to plank during that time but that seems like a waste to me. Do any of you know of another similar workout that I'd be actually able to finish. I'm doing this in a empty office at work from a laptop.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Did you try to do a modified push up with your legs crossed? You should keep trying until you are able to do the push up other wise you'll never be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

deadybai wrote: »
    Did you try to do a modified push up with your legs crossed? You should keep trying until you are able to do the push up other wise you'll never be able to do it.

yea but i'm a big fella, if i'm honest i'm a couple of stones away from push ups :(

I can manage the rest to an extent though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL1593kROa8

Heres a little video on how to build push up strenght. I would definety recomend continuing with the program if you are enjoying the rest of it. If you find the push up too hard just do something else. Anything is better than nothing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

If you are in a gym you can do bench press or the chest press machine. Use lighter weights and move up.

If at home you can do a box push up - (on your knees) with toes touching the floor

progress to "modified push up"- on your knees with feet crossed and off the ground heels towards your bum.

then to negative push ups - full push up position and focus on controlling lowering yourself - re set and go again.

After a while of these you should be able to do a full push up.

* As you loose weight all of the above will get easier also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

tinner777, I know you said planking feels like a waste of time but it's not.
    You will build strength in your arms which will then help in time to do the press ups.

Maybe try the planking for the next 3 workouts.
    Then on the 4th and 5th do 2 push ups.
    Then on the 6th, 3...etc. etc.

I also couldn't do press ups, I find them SO SO hard - I have persisted though and can now do 3 or 4 - lol doesn't sound much but it's a big achievement for me!!

Fairplay to you for trying Insanity, I'm scared to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Go on your knees if needed, form is the key
    You'll get there!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

tinner777 wrote: »
    yea but i'm a big fella, if i'm honest i'm a couple of stones away from push ups :(

I can manage the rest to an extent though

Insanity work out probably is a bit of a leap for you at the minute if you're a large unit. There's loads of cardio and jumping involved so it'll be tough on the joints.

Maybe skip the push up parts of it and use the rest as more of a guide do what you can and leave the rest till the weight drops off.

It's tough enough with a relatively good base fitness.

Advertisement