Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'm seriously considering this Mazda now - any final thoughts before I contact the guy? Do you think €500 would be a reasonable offer?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/98-mazda-323-nct-09-2016low-mileshatch/10875472

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

bear1 wrote: »
    Link?

not sure if that was in response to me?
    uberwolf wrote: »

uberwolf wrote: »
    not sure if that was in response to me?

Yes it was sorry. I think the price is spot on but what I would suggest are some more photos of the interior, a pic of the binnacle, engine and a shot of the service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Cianos wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering this Mazda now - any final thoughts before I contact the guy? Do you think €500 would be a reasonable offer?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/98-mazda-323-nct-09-2016low-mileshatch/10875472

You won't get it for €500 imo. I think €600 will be the lowest they'll go. You could try though.

On that Mazda though, I'm not sure I'd bother with it if you intend to keep the car for awhile. They are prone to rust underneath and don't last as well as other Japanese cars from that era. I was looking for one around 7 year ago and couldn't find a rust free example even back then. Looked at loads and they all had rust. Even 5-6 year old examples had lots of rust underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I have one of these. This exact model. Picked if up with two months tax and 6 months NCT during the summer for 550, afaik it was advertised for 700ish. Not sure if that helps, they are literally one of the cheapest cars out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Actually mine is the 1.5 GLX, alloys and sunroof model :)

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You won't get it for €500 imo. I think €600 will be the lowest they'll go. You could try though.

On that Mazda though, I'm not sure I'd bother with it if you intend to keep the car for awhile. They are prone to rust underneath and don't last as well as other Japanese cars from that era. I was looking for one around 7 year ago and couldn't find a rust free example even back then. Looked at loads and they all had rust. Even 5-6 year old examples had lots of rust underneath.

I'd hope to get 2-3 years out of it

I'd hope to get 2-3 years out of it

Get something else so I'd say.

Get something else so I'd say.

Do you think it'd be good for 1.5 - 2 years? I'm in a bit of a predicament where I need something sooner rather than later unfortunately

• Advertisement

Do you think it'd be good for 1.5 - 2 years? I'm in a bit of a predicament where I need something sooner rather than later unfortunately

Depends on if it's rust free or not. If you're not too far away it might be worth a look but have a good look underneath and around the arches and sills. Any major rust underneath or bubbling of the arches and sills, walk away.

I ended up with a corolla myself, not as nice on the interior as the Mazda but much better lasting with no rust issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

I have one of these. This exact model. Picked if up with two months tax and 6 months NCT during the summer for 550, afaik it was advertised for 700ish. Not sure if that helps, they are literally one of the cheapest cars out there.

Just watch out for CV joints. They weld themselves to the hubs And you and up buying a second hand half shaft and stub axle rather than just replacing the joint. Bastard of a job.

You won't get it for €500 imo. I think €600 will be the lowest they'll go. You could try though..

Thats awful advice to give. A good haggle will knock 100-150 off over the phone and thats before you land there with the reddies. Don't be handing out poor advice go the uninitiated like that. That's easily bought for 4-500 quid. 75 off asking! Give over :-)

Thats awful advice to give. A good haggle will knock 100-150 off over the phone and thats before you land there with the reddies. Don't be handing out poor advice go the uninitiated like that. That's easily bought for 4-500 quid. 75 off asking! Give over :-)

Come down off you're high horse sir. I Didn't give any advice. It was just my opinion based on my own experience. And yes I do believe you won't get much more than €75 off that price. I don't believe you will haggle €100-150 off that car in person nevermind over the phone. The seller obviously has the €75 added to the price to allow room for small haggling, not €100-150 worth.

Do you honestly expect to haggle the seller down to €450 over the phone!!? I think they will swifly hang up on you tbh. No seller likes to haggle over the phone as they don't know weather you are serious about they car or not.

Weather you agree with me or not I think that car will not be bought for less than €600. I challenge you to go and see for yourself though and report back with your results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I'd never haggle with someone on the phone if I'm selling, in fact I fcuking hate it.

I quit a business a couple of years ago and had three 00-01 LWB Hiace vans for sale. All clean, two with brand new DOE's, all keenly priced. The amount of twats who rang up looking to haggle a €1800 van down to €600-1000 was unreal. First three lads who came out with the cash got a few quid off on the spot and left happy.

If you give them the 'last price' on the phone then what's worse is when they show up and use the 'last price' as the first price. If you're interested in the car come out and look. If you think it's too expensive then move on and best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

bear1 wrote: »
    Yes it was sorry. I think the price is spot on but what I would suggest are some more photos of the interior, a pic of the binnacle, engine and a shot of the service history.

done and done. I'll dig out the most recent NCT test results as well and take a close up. Though it was bang in the middle of every tested range.

Red Kev wrote: »
    I'd never haggle with someone on the phone if I'm selling, in fact I fcuking hate it.

But there's buying and there's selling and we're supposed to be looking at this from the perspective of the purchaser. If I'm trying to buy something (the object of this thread) then its about getting the most amount off. I'm never interested in making friends. The seller can be as put out as much as they want. Offending someone never bothered me before. If the seller doesn't play ball then next. I won't be offended either. What I will do though is have a cheaper car ;-)

Come down off you're high horse sir. I Didn't give any advice. It was just my opinion based on my own experience. And yes I do believe you won't get much more than €75 off that price. I don't believe you will haggle €100-150 off that car in person nevermind over the phone. The seller obviously has the €75 added to the price to allow room for small haggling, not €100-150 worth.

Do you honestly expect to haggle the seller down to €450 over the phone!!? I think they will swifly hang up on you tbh. No seller likes to haggle over the phone as they don't know weather you are serious about they car or not.

Weather you agree with me or not I think that car will not be bought for less than €600. I challenge you to go and see for yourself though and report back with your results.

The last car I bought over the phone was from a man in Waterford. He had it up at 1500 quid. I didn't call him for days, then when I did call him and he told me that it was still available, then I knew it was game on. I simply said it was his one or another one that the guy was selling for 750. I also said that while I never expected him to go that low, neither would I be driving to Waterford without change from a grand. Two hour drive and 850 later I had the car i wanted with 650 quid off.

You see it's also about being committed to purchase. Lots of people call,enquire,make stupid offers then hesitate. I read it in here all the time. Be sure you want to buy it and once you're committed then start chipping away. Most sellers are pretty poor at holding out. They're easily cracked. The trick. Don't be afraid to start low. Offensive low.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Red Kev wrote: »

I quit a business a couple of years ago and had three 00-01 LWB Hiace vans for sale. All clean, two with brand new DOE's, all keenly priced. The amount of twats who rang up looking to haggle a €1800 van down to €600-1000 was unreal. First three lads who came out with the cash got a few quid off on the spot and left happy.

If you give them the 'last price' on the phone then what's worse is when they show up and use the 'last price' as the first price. If you're interested in the car come out and look. If you think it's too expensive then move on and best of luck in your search.

I'm with you here, I'll negotiate after they'd viewed the car, not before. I wouldn't shut down the idea of negotiation, just restate the asking and add that we can talk money after viewing and they're sure they're still interested.

A clean Aero and the seller doesn't seem to know what he has.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11056142

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Jesus wept, that's a lot of car for potentially €500. How much are the seats alone worth? :eek:

Cheap family motoring here. Lots of test, Auto and space for the kids and the dogs. Reliable too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/11038143

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Never knew they came in petrol!!! Would that be sluggish?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The photos are deceptive, so it's worth noting that that looks like a 5dr pajero junior, not a full fat pajero pajero, so i'd say a 2.0 petrol is probably decent in it.

They are all terrible. The Pug has no NCT, the Polo I generally don't like and the Suzuki... well.
    If I had to choose it would be the Liana I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Peugeot has no NCT, so leave it.

Polo has been lowered, I avoid cars like that. Apart from that, that generation Polo is very good, my parents had a few of them, drove them hard on bads road and they were very reliable.

The Liana looks boring but they're very reliable and well worth a look. I'd nearly be tempted to get one, put a roll cage and a couple of Recaros and cameras into it.

Thanks for the replies, for some reason I misread the Peugeot NCT to be 2016 rather than 2015, definitely staying away from that.

The Polo would have been my pick but would the fact that it's lowered suggest there's a good chance it's been driven hard?

Reliability is a big factor so I might give the Liana a look even though it is a bit ugly. Anything I should ask the seller about it?

Thanks again

Edit: Here's a VW Bora w decent NCT; https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2000-vw-bora-nct-until-july-2016-price-drop/10888531?sv=true

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

get an insurance quote on the Bora first - they are a current car of choice with the felter brigade and so the premium might be a bit tastier than other options

• Advertisement

The Bora, if that light isn't telling something catastrophic would be my choice. Climate control too and not the crappy 1.4 engine.
    Take a diagnostics tool with you and get the code read.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement