Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 192 - Cormier v Gustafsson

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

agree with the second judges score and with the result,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Great fight, right decision. Splut was way off.

And, having "bad footwork" is nothing to do with conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Superb fight. A privilege to watch those two put it all on the line.

When people ask me why I stay up until 6am watching fights - tonight is the exact reason.

Just brilliant.

You've got to feel for Gustafsson though. Two title fights when he has given it absolutely everything and he has just come up short in both.

So, Jones to come back and take his title off DC in his comeback fight then? Despite it being such an excellent fight tonight, I doubt he'll have been too worried with what he saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Was that DCs wife there?:eek: wow! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Paully D wrote: »
    Superb fight. A privilege to watch those two put it all on the line.

When people ask me why I stay up until 6am watching fights - tonight is the exact reason.

Just brilliant.

You've got to feel for Gustafsson though. Two title fights when he has given it absolutely everything and he has just come up short in both.

So, Jones to come back and take his title off DC in his comeback fight then? Despite it being such an excellent fight tonight, I doubt he'll have been too worried with what he saw.

Yes that fight right there is the reason why I love MMA

That fight will really bring DC on tho. Contrary to others I thought his cardio has improved. If it can improve more then that is a major hole in his game that has been shored up. Jones as we all know tho is THE man until he is beat! But I want to see the rematch now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Had it at least 2-2 and leaning kinda towards DC 3-2 but that 4th round was very close to call for me.

Absolutely gutted for Gus! I remember saying after the Jones fight that that was about as close as anyone can come to becoming world champion........ Now he's done it twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Mellor wrote: »
    Great fight, right decision. Splut was way off.

And, having "bad footwork" is nothing to do with conditioning.

I didn't say it was to do with conditioning, I mentioned it as being part of the athleticism of mma . I do think dc is very beatable. By fighters that can use their range well. Anybody whose an aggressive counter puncher.

But that all hinges on not letting him smother you in the first two rounds. I do think that Gus can beat him. Cormier clinching and dirty boxing was the wrong place for gus to let the fight go.

As he doesn't have the strength to match Cormier.

I think Gus was in a good position for round 2 . Bruised but not battered. Dragging the fight out and looking to increase the pressure each round.

But I think the time in the clinch, took too much out of him.

empacher wrote: »
    I didn't say it was to do with conditioning, I mentioned it as being part of the athleticism of mma
    It's nothing to do with athleticism either.
    You are right that DC's footwork isn't great, but this doesn't make his a "badly conditioned athlete".

It's a skill, it's hardly surprising that somebody who dedicated their life to grappling hasn't got the best footwork or head movement . I wouldn't expect a ex-boxer to have elite takedowns or transitions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Dc and Gus, great fight. Hard not to feel bad for gus. Also sage northcutt is a great character, he'll be a bit of craic, cant imagine wat the trash talk would be like if him and conor met at 155.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I had it 49-46 or 48-47 DC. 3rd round Gus was losing til he rocked DC which swayed it his way, and he won the 2nd. I don't see how a judge could give another round to Gus and I'm a big fan of the guy.

Neither of them will beat jbj like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I didn't think it was a great fight either. Striking was very sloppy looking and they got tired fast. It was competitive though.

I'm starting to think Gus fight against Jones was a one off. His volume and stamina didn't look near as good tonight. There was a rumour that he had a neck injury coming into this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Those uppercuts in the clinch were the difference. Why didn't Gustasffon do what he did in the fifth in that situation and tie up Cormier's hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I don't know too much about the sport but watched last night and Ryan Bader was very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Poor main card but that was one hell of a fight between DC and Gus. Definitely the right call but I was surprised it was a split decision victory. I couldn't really have made a huge case for Gus winning more than 2 rounds tbh.

I don't know too much about the sport but watched last night and Ryan Bader was very impressive.

You're spot on. Solid performance from Bader.
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Poor main card but that was one hell of a fight between DC and Gus. Definitely the right call but I was surprised it was a split decision victory. I couldn't really have made a huge case for Gus winning more than 2 rounds tbh.
    Judges making a balls of it never surprises me anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

bur wrote: »
    Those uppercuts in the clinch were the difference. Why didn't Gustasffon do what he did in the fifth in that situation and tie up Cormier's hand?

Gus generally is good in the clinch. Having a height advantage should give him more levarage over dc.

But you have to stay tall. If gus kept his head above dc its impossoble for dc to land upercuts.

Gus was hunched over. Allowed dc to pull his head within uppercut range. Wether that was due to dc's strength advantage. Gus keeping his body lower to sprawl quicker.

It took him too long to realise he was losing badly in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah i thought DC kept on the pressure really well all fight. If he was bollixed, he would have gone to the ground. Wouldn't have questioned his cardio in that fight, especially with the shots he was eating.

The stat for 'feet travelled' is crazy. Basically someone counting all the steps they take :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I thought rashad evans was horrendous considering his record and highlight reel. think of the strikers he's beaten to the punch surprisingly and that bader clown beats him, ... back forth, side and jab, back forth otherside and overhand, crap!! they'tr both shocking, MMA and a whole two kicks thrown, good luck!!

I think gustafsson should do the marathon because he'd do less moving around in one. all he was doing was running round looking at his corner and taking a beating!! how many bleeding times did he run away with his back to cormier, granted he can take a punch by jasus can he take a punch but think of it..champion after that fight..lets's say..and who's waiting to take the belt off' em thank you very much in 60secs, rumble Johnson!!

for a tall guy like that not to use significant range, kicks and knees at the right time, is crazy.. someone spoke about cormier being beatable,, they're right, and GUS had all the tools.. im sorry, it was a good fight but only one clear winner and it was cormier.. he must av done a marathon himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

rusty cole wrote: »
    I thought rashad evans was horrendous considering his record and highlight reel.

Maybe horrendous if you only watch highlight reels and look at his record but considering his age and that it was his first fight in 2 years after multiple knee injuries and surgeries you could be a bit more forgiving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

champion after that fight..lets's say..and who's waiting to take the belt off' em thank you very much in 60secs, rumble Johnson!!

There's only one person taking that belt off of anyone.

tumblr_n3r1re7oDb1qhndw9o1_500.gif

Actually... slightyly OT, but anyone know how Bones does in weight cuts? Think he might be tempted to go up to heavyweight now that he can't IV? There's no way dude is walking around anywhere close to 205...

Devastator wrote: »
    Maybe horrendous if you only watch highlight reels and look at his record but considering his age and that it was his first fight in 2 years after multiple knee injuries and surgeries you could be a bit more forgiving

I meant compared to his usual form. look how easily he beat rampage, chuck ladell and sonnen etc, and griffin. I realy like evans which is why I was so disappointed. despite all of that, I have him at such a level as to fly through bader.. I think that's it for rashad, too much water under the bridge.

I meant compared to his usual form. look how easily he beat rampage, chuck ladell and sonnen etc, and griffin. I realy like evans which is why I was so disappointed. despite all of that, I have him at such a level as to fly through bader.. I think that's it for rashad, too much water under the bridge.

And those fights were how many years ago & how many years before his knee injuries? The guy is 36, even for someone 10 years his junior coming back after significant knee injuries is a tough task so maybe give him a bit of a break before retiring him.

funny that fight had nothing to do with his knee and all to do with his timing and being gun shy in the exchange etc. there was one or two moments of dynamism in him, and he's a supreme athlete with great accuracy and superb speed.

It seem to be lost on you that I'm being tough on him BECAUSE he's so good FFS!! stop banging on about knee injuries. If he was as conscious of his injuries as you were, he wouldn't be fighting. Bader was a good comeback fight for him, not easy but very much a victory for him.

The reason why'd id write em off is because I've seen this before, he'll get back in, be apprehensive, self doubting, overwhelmed and destroyed in superb fashion by a less injured beast!! sure if you didn't you'd go on forever.

there are exceptions but he's not one, even at 36!!

The fight had EVERYTHING to do with his knee.

His knee caused him to be out of the ring for almost two years right when he looked like he was on course to get another shot at the title.

Missing two years will have a negative effect on anyone, on a 36 year old that effect is magnified massively. It's two years since he was last in a real fight, with someone who actually wanted to beat the breaks off of him. You can do all the heavy sparing in the world but the real thing is different. Coming back after 2 years and two massive knee surgeries and jumping straight into a fight with someone like Bader, who is a legitimate title contender right now, was a bad idea.

funny that fight had nothing to do with his knee and all to do with his timing and being gun shy in the exchange etc. there was one or two moments of dynamism in him, and he's a supreme athlete with great accuracy and superb speed.

It seem to be lost on you that I'm being tough on him BECAUSE he's so good FFS!! stop banging on about knee injuries. If he was as conscious of his injuries as you were, he wouldn't be fighting. Bader was a good comeback fight for him, not easy but very much a victory for him.

The reason why'd id write em off is because I've seen this before, he'll get back in, be apprehensive, self doubting, overwhelmed and destroyed in superb fashion by a less injured beast!! sure if you didn't you'd go on forever.

there are exceptions but he's not one, even at 36!!

whoa there, you sound like a nasty little child just because someone disagrees with you! :rolleyes:

I really hope you didnt mean all that, because if you believe that I worry for you as any kind of fight fan!

Your knee(and any injury to it) is a huge part of fighting and can/could(probably did!) effect Evans timing and whether or not he felt comfortable to throw punches.....but then you're denying me being able to "bang on about knee injuries" because you know best it seems :rolleyes:

Devastator wrote: »
    whoa there, you sound like a nasty little child just because someone disagrees with you! :rolleyes:

I really hope you didnt mean all that, because if you believe that I worry for you as any kind of fight fan!

Your knee(and any injury to it) is a huge part of fighting and can/could(probably did!) effect Evans timing and whether or not he felt comfortable to throw punches.....but then you're denying me being able to "bang on about knee injuries" because you know best it seems :rolleyes:

little child? I worry about you? gimme a break, next you'll be telling me you're a fan first and a world champ yourself 2nd. It's like bangin your head off a wall with you trying to make a point. the fact is , nobody pays to see a fighter whose had donor tissue graft on their knee and been out 2 years, just so we can all say, ah tough match rashad ye did well . he'll be sparked out fighting with that mindset next time he fights and you'll be here banging on about give em a break he's 36 and out two yrs and had numerous surgeries, ah sure you couldn't do better, I just weep for you McGregor hangers on etc etc.

open your ears this time and listen ok, cos you seem like decent guy. My opinion, not sincere fact, this is boards, it's called a discourse. I like and always like rashad evens but knee! Ring rust! etc etc call it what you like, I believe after that performance in comparison to two yrs ago he's finished.
    he peaked a while ago, anyone who thinks different is fooling themselves.
    ya can see the cracks in a fighter after a while and he has them.

If he wins the 205 belt I'll take it all back but it aint happening. There's been tons of champs that never where, with superb skill etc, he got a belt FFS, he's done great. he'll be badly hurt soon in the octagon, I guarantee it!

• Advertisement

little child? I worry about you? gimme a break, next you'll be telling me you're a fan first and a world champ yourself 2nd. It's like bangin your head off a wall with you trying to make a point. the fact is , nobody pays to see a fighter whose had donor tissue graft on their knee and been out 2 years, just so we can all say, ah tough match rashad ye did well . he'll be sparked out fighting with that mindset next time he fights and you'll be here banging on about give em a break he's 36 and out two yrs and had numerous surgeries, ah sure you couldn't do better, I just weep for you McGregor hangers on etc etc.

open your ears this time and listen ok, cos you seem like decent guy. My opinion, not sincere fact, this is boards, it's called a discourse. I like and always like rashad evens but knee! Ring rust! etc etc call it what you like, I believe after that performance in comparison to two yrs ago he's finished.
    he peaked a while ago, anyone who thinks different is fooling themselves.
    ya can see the cracks in a fighter after a while and he has them.

If he wins the 205 belt I'll take it all back but it aint happening. There's been tons of champs that never where, with superb skill etc, he got a belt FFS, he's done great. he'll be badly hurt soon in the octagon, I guarantee it!

I think I need to sniff a lot of glue to even get close to whatever level you're on!

Mindsets? RIngrust? I'ma world champion? What other f***ed up ramblings are you going on about next?

It quite simple - you try throwing a punch after you've messed up your knee and then come back and tell us all again that fighting is nothing to do with knee's(injuries) :rolleyes:

Advertisement