Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of working out/exercising....

Options
  • 14-09-2015 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Simple question...have you ever become utterly fed up of sports/working out/exercising?

This has happened me. I used to love sports/working out. In the past month or so i have struggled to keep up with what i normally did. I dont feel physically tired (i dont think so anyway). The thought of the gym in the morning or yoga classes i used to love now fill me with dread. I used to LOVE swimming, i havent done it in maybe 2 months. I used to run/cycle - no real interest anymore. I might cycle somewhere but not for fun or exercise.

Its all so unattractive to me now. I cant bring myself to do it. its making me really sad but i still wont do it. I woke up at the normal time this morning for the gym but lay in bed until 30 mins before work then just got up and drove to work.

Life is good, im healthy and well but i dont know whats going on. I actually fill with dread at the thought of the gym/exercise. Any ideas? Im really down about this as it used to be who i was and i loved it, i loved the feeling of being active and fit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Take a break so. You're not training with any goal in mind, as far as I can see. So don't go. Find something new to use your time. New hobby! Go back to the gym and swimming when you feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

discus wrote: »
    Take a break so. You're not training with any goal in mind, as far as I can see. So don't go. Find something new to use your time. New hobby! Go back to the gym and swimming when you feel like it.

I do it to keep fit, keep in shape and keep my mind in a good place.

It has a lot of positives for me thats why i cant understand why this has happened. There is some guilt too for not exercising - i guess related to how used i am to doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

When I lose motivation and dread going to the gym, I find changing up the routine completely helps and gives me a different goal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

What are you doing in the gym? Is the it same routine time after time? If so, have you ever created a thread with the title 'losing interest in eating? Probably not as I doubt you eat the same things day in day out.

We probably have differeny goals but I too have gone through periods of losing motivation to work out. For me, that's a signal to take a week completely off, eat a few cheat meals and come back with a new routine. Nobody can 100% on working out when you've a job, spouse, kids etc.
    So if everything else is fine in your life I'd look at what is turning you off working out. Read some articles and watch some YouTube videos related to fitness for motivation, new ideas for goals, etc.

What are you doing in the gym? Is the it same routine time after time? If so, have you ever created a thread with the title 'losing interest in eating? Probably not as I doubt you eat the same things day in day out.

We probably have differeny goals but I too have gone through periods of losing motivation to work out. For me, that's a signal to take a week completely off, eat a few cheat meals and come back with a new routine. Nobody can 100% on working out when you've a job, spouse, kids etc.
    So if everything else is fine in your life I'd look at what is turning you off working out. Read some articles and watch some YouTube videos related to fitness for motivation, new ideas for goals, etc.

I vary it. i do cardio but also some circuit workouts. I like to power walk too outside along with cycling. Yoga classes and also swimming but i have shunned them all except walking and a bit of cycling. I always try to keep it varied.

Its really upsetting me that i have lost this interest.

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    When I lose motivation and dread going to the gym, I find changing up the routine completely helps and gives me a different goal

What do you change? im not sure what i can change as i do try to vary things. Maybe i could go for less time but then i wont feel thats as effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Sounds like the loss of interest is because you're no longer challenged. Give strength training a go (doesn't seem to be listed among the stuff you've said you do). I guarantee after a couple of sessions, you'll be raring to go, purely because you'll set yourself a few goals by just thinking "I bet I could do better next time". Change is as good as a rest, and all that.

Sounds like the loss of interest is because you're no longer challenged. Give strength training a go (doesn't seem to be listed among the stuff you've said you do). I guarantee after a couple of sessions, you'll be raring to go, purely because you'll set yourself a few goals by just thinking "I bet I could do better next time". Change is as good as a rest, and all that.

I include it in my circuit workouts. It sadly (even when i was motivated to work out) has never been as intoxicating to me as it seems to others...i wish it would be but its not really for me. I dont enjoy it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

What sports do you play and is it casual as in 5 a side once a week or competitive with a team? Whenever I get bored or tired of the gym I play some 5 a side, just to go out & enjoy having a bit of competitiveness without having any hang up about performance & results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If I'm fed up i take a week or a few days off then I'm itching to go again

• Advertisement

dcrosskid wrote: »
    What sports do you play and is it casual as in 5 a side once a week or competitive with a team? Whenever I get bored or tired of the gym I play some 5 a side, just to go out & enjoy having a bit of competitiveness without having any hang up about performance & results.

Soccer wouldnt be for me. Im female and team sports have never really interested me.

I do get what you mean about the integration with others and the bit of competitiveness though!

bluewolf wrote: »
    If I'm fed up i take a week or a few days off then I'm itching to go again

Does the guilt not kill you though? I havent went to the gym all week so far but i have power walked quite a bit, walked to and from work, cycled to and from work to keep active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Parchment wrote: »
    Does the guilt not kill you though? I havent went to the gym all week so far but i have power walked quite a bit, walked to and from work, cycled to and from work to keep active.
    Op what's there to feel guilty about? if the gym is not doing it for you maybe you need a new challenge or a goal e.g train for a 5 or 10km or do some group strength and conditioning classes or take up a be hobby.
    Are you worried about gaining weight or something that you feel guilty for not going?

groovyg wrote: »
    Op what's there to feel guilty about? if the gym is not doing it for you maybe you need a new challenge or a goal e.g train for a 5 or 10km or do some group strength and conditioning classes or take up a be hobby.
    Are you worried about gaining weight or something that you feel guilty for not going?

I feel guilty as i like to keep fit and in shape. I find when i dont go to the gym my eating goes a bit off the rails too. I have done 10k's and did a 5k a few weeks ago.

Gaining weight is a reality and also like i said my eating can get a bit crappy when i am not working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

To be honest I find if you lose motivation for doing stuff then it's a case of changing routine or doing something else or just a complete veg on the couch break. In terms of food you are not going to put on loads of weight in a week away from the gym unless you are eating huge portions and loads of junk and even then I don't think you could put on that much. If you are out power walking and getting some fresh air that is good for just clearing the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gaining weight is a reality and also like i said my eating can get a bit crappy when i am not working out.

You probably need to get a handle on your eating. If a big part of the reason you work out is so that you don't get into negative eatg patterns, there might be something there you need to address.

And if you feel you have to go, then it can often make a chore of it.

You probably need to get a handle on your eating. If a big part of the reason you work out is so that you don't get into negative eatg patterns, there might be something there you need to address.

And if you feel you have to go, then it can often make a chore of it.

I find most of my friends feel the same- they just get a bit lax with eating etc when they are out of the gym mode. Many people workout to be able to enjoy more foods. I do it as I enjoy sports but I also enjoy that it gives me more wiggle room with food-.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 230 ✭✭garrixfan

Meh gym gets boring every now and then, there are a load of other things that are funner and more productive, just depends on the mindset, a break is grand. I normally give the gym a break in summer, just getting back into it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I include it in my circuit workouts. It sadly (even when i was motivated to work out) has never been as intoxicating to me as it seems to others...i wish it would be but its not really for me. I dont enjoy it at all!
    Doesn't sound like strength training to me! Wouldn't be able to dream of circuits lifting heavy.

I change between strength+bulk in winter to bodybuilding+cut in summer.

Keeps a good mix of different goals to achieve and always try to up it every year e.g. lower bf % for summer/higher maximum body weight for winter.

I'd say seeing the different results keeps me motivated.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like strength training to me! Wouldn't be able to dream of circuits lifting heavy.

I change between strength+bulk in winter to bodybuilding+cut in summer.

Keeps a good mix of different goals to achieve and always try to up it every year e.g. lower bf % for summer/higher maximum body weight for winter.

I'd say seeing the different results keeps me motivated.

Bodybuilding and heavy weight lifting is not something i am interested in. Im female (i know there are lots of women who enjoy it) but its just not for me.

I like how you change your goals. i guess im not that into results i just enjoy exercise but i seem to have lost that enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

You could try attending a martial arts class

In my gym lots girls do the MMA, BJJ and kickboxing classes. Its mainly what I do myself and just do other exercise to supplement or improve my performance.

Its more fun, you meet people and its great to have people around you encouraging you and have an interested in making you better. Personally I get bored in a regular gym and these kind of classes never get boring for me.

Try something different, it might be exactly what you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

When I hit that kind of a wall I just take a break. Maybe take a week off and just go out walking with a friend to keep active, that makes it a bit more social plus if you make a plan with someone else you're probably less likely to bail

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

I've been going through a similar phase myself recently. I've just no real drive to go to the gym, whereas 6 months ago I was all in and planning on doing a powerlifting meet!
    What's helped me has been:
    Not to stress about it too much.
    Change it up - I'm doing very short (20 min) kettlebell workouts twice a week cos that feels fun and manageable right now.
    Focussing on the types of movement I enjoy now - I've been doing more yoga and loving it.
    Trying new things/old things I used to do - I've gone back to zumba, and even tried belly dancing today :-) It was so much fun!!

I think it's really important not to feel guilty about it or to let it affect your eating, which can be easier said than done. If I recall correctly, you used to have an eating disorder, right? For me, exercising was always strict and if I wasn't exercising according to my plan, I was eating unhealthily. Now, I try to separate the two completely so that there's no all-or-nothing behaviour creeping in.

Feel free to PM me if you like - I think we might have a bit in common.

Advertisement