Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do Irish people want?

Options
  • 14-09-2015 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Was just on Facebook there and the Journal posted up an article about how Joan Burton is planning on cutting taxes for people €30-60k through a reduction in USC. I thought great, a little more in my pocket every month, surely people will love that. Wrong

I clicked onto it and there are people commenting going mad saying why are we reducing taxes when there is a homeless crisis and that it is irresponsible etc. And some people saying that we should be paying more tax. YES MORE!

I don't know if its just me but I can't move around social media without seeing a Dublin Says No or Anti Austerity Alliance with people commenting saying they can't afford anymore taxes etc when it comes to water charges and property taxes. Yet these same people are now saying the exact opposite. I hate to say it but these people protesting can't be in employment, and if they are, they haven't looked at a payslip lately and seen how much PAYE, PRSI and USC takes at the end of the month.

As someone who is on the lower end of that salary scale, I for one can't wait to have a little back in my pocket even if it is just a fiver a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Free potatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Free water.
    No road tax/tolls.
    No V.A.T
    No property tax.
    No universal social charge.
    No incomes taxes that are below €100k.
    Free health care.
    No hospital waiting lists.
    Low class numbers.
    Loads of Gardai/Nurses/Tearchers/S.N.A
    No homelessness.
    Zero unemployment.
    Social welfare some people want more and some people want less.
    No homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Free water.
    No road tax/tolls.
    No V.A.T
    No property tax.
    Free health care.
    Low class numbers.
    No homelessness.
    Zero unemployment.
    No homelessness.

Long live Hooky Street

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Free water.
    No road tax/tolls.
    No V.A.T
    No property tax.
    Free health care.
    Low class numbers.
    No homelessness.
    Zero unemployment.
    No homelessness.

And some fresh popcorn!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Unfortunately, Irish people are human, and therefore there's no collective agreement on what we want. Everyone wants what lines up with their personal priorities, and that varies enormously from person to person, which is why the government here struggles with anything they want to do (or stop doing, or never have done at all).

Don't worry; when the Borg arrive, it will all be sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

For the people of the world to leave us be, mending our shoes and looking after our pots of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ardinn wrote: »
    And some fresh popcorn!!!

Fresh popcorn will be free for all with a bonus for Christmas.
    Along with zero student fees/contribution.
    I'd also abolish corporation tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If the taxes aren't to be abolished so as we can house homeless people it's only fair that people on the dole pay a portion of the cost too. A real community effort, instead of it being left to the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

8-10 wrote: »
    Long live Hooky Street

Freedom hooky Street....

Free water.
    No road tax/tolls.
    No V.A.T
    No property tax.
    Free health care.
    Low class numbers.
    No homelessness.
    Zero unemployment.
    No homelessness.

But apart from all that, WHAT HAVE THE ROMANS EVER DONE FOR US? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Free water.
    No road tax/tolls.
    No V.A.T
    No property tax.
    Free health care.
    Low class numbers.
    No homelessness.
    Zero unemployment.
    No homelessness.

And no eggnog, in fact no nog at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

ps3man wrote: »
    Was just on Facebook there and the Journal posted up an article about how Joan Burton is planning on cutting taxes for people €30-60k through a reduction in USC. I thought great, a little more in my pocket every month, surely people will love that. Wrong

I clicked onto it and there are people commenting going mad saying why are we reducing taxes when there is a homeless crisis and that it is irresponsible etc. And some people saying that we should be paying more tax. YES MORE!

I don't know if its just me but I can't move around social media without seeing a Dublin Says No or Anti Austerity Alliance with people commenting saying they can't afford anymore taxes etc when it comes to water charges and property taxes. Yet these same people are now saying the exact opposite. I hate to say it but these people protesting can't be in employment, and if they are, they haven't looked at a payslip lately and seen how much PAYE, PRSI and USC takes at the end of the month.

As someone who is on the lower end of that salary scale, I for one can't wait to have a little back in my pocket even if it is just a fiver a week.

Maybe they are earning under 30K, that doesnt seem to enter it your thread? So the Govt admit USC is a tax??? reducing tax by cutting USC, you say or they say?

If they are going to lower it, why dont they lower it universally, hit the part under up to 30k so everyone feels the benefit? not just some?

Woman makes me sick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

ps3man wrote: »
    What do Irish people want.

The truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

sit down and keep up with the kardashians during the day, go to their debs each evening, watch gaa at the weekend before winning all their accumulators on premier league football while having free pints in their local. then drive home in a diesel lamborghini before riding a prostitute.

is that really too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

deco nate wrote: »
    Freedom hooky Street....

It's Viva, not Freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Daith

It's Viva, not Freedom.

Mon dieu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

And now introducing the Christmas bonus for welfare recipients.

They are given out saying its buying votes. Just can't win the government.

And of course the whole sure we can't house the homeless yet they can give us a bonus.

How noble it would be if these unemployed people who want the bonus to help homelessness actually gave the homeless their bonus.

Somehow I doubt it. All talk but only really care about themselves under it all.

Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

cerastes wrote: »
    Maybe they are earning under 30K, that doesnt seem to enter it your thread? So the Govt admit USC is a tax??? reducing tax by cutting USC, you say or they say?

If they are going to lower it, why dont they lower it universally, hit the part under up to 30k so everyone feels the benefit? not just some?

Woman makes me sick

Because maybe people on low wages are paying next to nothing tax as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

JustTheOne wrote: »
    And now introducing the Christmas bonus for welfare recipients.

They are given out saying its buying votes. Just can't win the government.

And of course the whole sure we can't house the homeless yet they can give us a bonus.

How noble it would be if these unemployed people who want the bonus to help homelessness actually gave the homeless their bonus.

Somehow I doubt it. All talk but only really care about themselves under it all.

Sickening.

Homeless people will get the bonus too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

cerastes wrote: »

Woman makes me sick

Because people earning over 30k pay a lot more taxes than those earning less than it and are more deserving of some relief.

The middle earners are always neglected, it's about time they got something back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In response to OP, wanted: for the state not to such a large burden both in terms of matters financial and regulatory ( a semi-state body is everywhere these days seemly). Unwanted: To be grateful that this government consents to loan us back a bit more of own money and that we should gratefully vote them back into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Free water.
    No road tax/tolls.
    No V.A.T
    No property tax.
    Free health care.
    Low class numbers.
    No homelessness.
    Zero unemployment.
    No homelessness.

And more oil reserves than the entire middle east (though we'd probably still manage to piss it away)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Irish people want others around them to do worse in life more than they, themselves, want to do better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

awec wrote: »
    Because people earning over 30k pay a lot more taxes than those earning less than it and are more deserving of some relief.

The middle earners are always neglected, it's about time they got something back.

Exactly. I earn near the higher end of that scale and the amount of tax I pay is shocking. I pay nearly the same in tax a week as someone earns on minimum wage!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

aaakev wrote: »
    Exactly. I earn near the higher end of that scale and the amount of tax I pay is shocking. I pay nearly the same in tax a week as someone earns on minimum wage!

Me too - I paid €82k in tax last year. That supports 10 people on welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

What do Irish people want?

The ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Right now I want a breakfast roll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Reduced only for people earning €30-60k... That bracket is too small!

Advertisement