Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexing geese

Options
  • 13-09-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Anyone got any experience of this? We have five 18 week old Emden
    Goslings ...hoping to dispatch 2 of them in October/November but would like to ensure we keep at least one of each sex for breeding from next year. I have my own suspicions as to which ones are ganders based on their behaviour but would like something more scientific. Have googled but have found nothing other than identifying based on behaviour and neck size etc. or waiting till they start mating but this is not an option. Have seen one youtube video where they ...um.... stimulated the bird for at least a minute until his penis popped out (among other 'stuff' :eek:) ...is this the ONLY way???? :confused:
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Hiya. The boy's have 1 hump 5he girls 2. Underneath...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

woggie wrote: »
    Anyone got any experience of this? We have five 18 week old Emden
    Goslings ...hoping to dispatch 2 of them in October/November but would like to ensure we keep at least one of each sex for breeding from next year. I have my own suspicions as to which ones are ganders based on their behaviour but would like something more scientific. Have googled but have found nothing other than identifying based on behaviour and neck size etc. or waiting till they start mating but this is not an option. Have seen one youtube video where they ...um.... stimulated the bird for at least a minute until his penis popped out (among other 'stuff' :eek:) ...is this the ONLY way???? :confused:
    thanks
    I have a bit of experience of with geese including common farm yard geese.
    Are you sure that they are Embden. Not many Embden geese about. Most white geese are mistaken as Embdem but in reality they are common farm yard geese.
    Anyway at 18 weeks the ganders will have larger feet, thicker legs/necks, and start to show dominant behaviour over their female siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭tattycat

Have you managed?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

apologies, i was sure i replied to this post ages ago, i must have forgotton to hit the submit key :p

Base price - was TOLD they were embdens but its quite possile they are just common white geese, too inexperianced to know what to look out for ;-(

I think i know the 2 ganders ...not sure about the necks or feet but 2 of them are definitely the 'boss' in attitude, they're also the biggest and also i've read that the goose will honk but the gander has a kind of shrill cry - this definitely fits in with what i suspect.

tattycat im not sure i can tell any difference in humps :-O

Advertisement