Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Hunting- Area review- HELP NEEDED

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

donaghs wrote: »
    I'd take the Wintergarden over any of them. Maybe in the 80s, early 90s Ringsend and Pearse St were seen as being a bit dodgy. Still some old Corpo flats there but times have moved on and its changed a lot. Prices should reflect that. I would have thought it would be more expensive than the other locations you mention?
    Advantages here being close to town but still close to nice amenities like Sandymount Strand and the rest of south coastal Dublin.

My problem with Francis St would be its proximity to Thomas Street. Its fine passing through, but if you have to live there you'll eventually run into plenty of local "characters".

But you mention you are in a hurry? Buying property is definitely not something to rush into.

Nothing like having a walk around each area on a Friday evening. See how local people, kids especially, react to new faces. Imagine yourself living there, day-after-day! :)

Sorry, but that "you get that everywhere" stuff just isn't true. Recently I used Francis St as part of a cycle commute and regularly saw people lying around drunk. In fact I would bet money that's theres people drinking at some point this afternoon or evening behind the Iveagh Markets near Lamb Alley. On the other hand, I've lived in many parts of Dublin (Rathmines, Kilbarrack, Blancharstown etc) and have never seen someone on my street passed out drunk or sitting on kerb drinking.

I think you've gotten yourself a bit confused ......... I'm not the Op, I'm not looking to buy/rent in the city centre at all. :)

Having said that, I did grow up in Dublin 8 and I know Francis Street particularly well .......... I actually know most of the city centre very well as I've lived (or lived close by) in most of the areas the Op mentioned throughout my 20's and still have family/friends in these areas so am regularly there ........ and as a result I've "walked around" these areas on a Friday evening as well having lived there "day-after-day" so I can say with some confidence that Wintergarden wouldn't be at the top of my list to live in/nearby.

Also, I never said "you get that everywhere" so again you are mistaken ........ but on the point of there being drunks and/or drug users "lying" around Dublin 8 I will say, yes, that can be true .......... however it's also true of Dublin 1, 2, 4, 7 and most of Dublin in fact just as it's true for London, Paris, Rome etc.

I'll reiterate my point to the OP ......... Dublin, in comparison to it's European counterparts, is quite a safe/friendly city and you would be very unlucky (or stupidly put yourself in harm's way) to actually encounter any major problems wherever you choose to live ......... out of the Op's list I would take Francis Street over East Wall, Inchicore (depending on the particular street), Gardener Street or Wintergarden.

My order of preference would be Francis Street, Inchicore, Wintergarden, East Wall then Gardener Street. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p17s82

Sorry for raising an old post, but what's so wrong with the Iskand Key, D3? Was there on the viewing today aroud 6-6:30 PM, looks pretty quiet, many shops around, close to trains/buses/city center. No pubs around though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

p17s82 wrote: »
    Sorry for raising an old post, but what's so wrong with the Iskand Key, D3? Was there on the viewing today aroud 6-6:30 PM, looks pretty quiet, many shops around, close to trains/buses/city center. No pubs around though.

Mixed bag really, lived there for half a year. Its very handy for proximity to the city but I had a vehicle stolen on me and some run ins with feral children where I got fireworks launched at my face. Other than that it was fine but I did decide to move out of there for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 p17s82

yer man! wrote: »
    Mixed bag really, lived there for half a year. Its very handy for proximity to the city but I had a vehicle stolen on me and some run ins with feral children where I got fireworks launched at my face. Other than that it was fine but I did decide to move out of there for this reason.
    Thanks, based on that and other area reviews decided to investigate more on East part of Drumcondra instead.

Advertisement