Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much meal would 10 chicks eat

Options
  • 08-09-2015 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

As the title says,thinking about getting 10 or so chicks to rear and sell on.Would 10 chicks go through a 25 kg bag of chick crumb until the time they are ready to go an layers mash?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

How old will they be when you get them? We only have our chicks on crumbs for the first eight weeks and they go on growers till they're 18weeks, then layers. 25kg might do you .but ideally you should be feeding them adlib and its surprizing how quickly they grow and how much they'll eat so you may run out a bit before they're ready for the next stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

I don't really know what age I'll get them I'm just studying it up,would it be worth to rear them to sell them on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

woggie wrote: »
    How old will they be when you get them? We only have our chicks on crumbs for the first eight weeks and they go on growers till they're 18weeks, then layers. 25kg might do you .but ideally you should be feeding them adlib and its surprizing how quickly they grow and how much they'll eat so you may run out a bit before they're ready for the next stage.
    Also chicks will waste a lot of crumb if fed in open feeders. Bar feeders are best to avoid waste. You can introduce LF chicks to grower pellets (mixed through crumb) from 6 weeks of age.

IH784man - unless you are rearing a good example of a rare breed then you are wasting your money, time and effort.

Base price wrote: »
    Also chicks will waste a lot of crumb if fed in open feeders. Bar feeders are best to avoid waste. You can introduce LF chicks to grower pellets (mixed through crumb) from 6 weeks of age.

IH784man - unless you are rearing a good example of a rare breed then you are wasting your money, time and effort.

Only reason I'm thinking about it tbh is there's a sale of rare breed sheep and cattle every year but there's also poultry in it,they don't have to be rare breed,every hen makes twice/3 times the ce they're actually worth

IH784man wrote: »
    Only reason I'm thinking about it tbh is there's a sale of rare breed sheep and cattle every year but there's also poultry in it,they don't have to be rare breed,every hen makes twice/3 times the ce they're actually worth
    I am not trying to be smart but how much do you think a massed hatched commercial hybrid pol hen would make at such a sale?

• Advertisement

I'm only gonna buy Rhode Island reds,they went for 25+

IH784man wrote: »
    I'm only gonna buy Rhode Island reds,they went for 25+
    Any pics of them. BTY pure bred RIR's chicks are very difficult to sex.

No nothing yet only getting organised

Advertisement