Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Klondike - Ireland's First Western

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I would recommend watching the first season. I guess that this series will continue with some stories that originated in season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭pigtown

I thought that was a good opener. God that first scene was a bit gruesome. Pretty sure I saw a telephone pole in the background in the first few seconds haha.

pigtown wrote: »
    I thought that was a good opener. God that first scene was a bit gruesome. Pretty sure I saw a telephone pole in the background in the first few seconds haha.

I enjoyed it too. The 'judge' seems like a good character.

I don't have much hope for Padraig or Bridget in this season. Seemed to make a big deal of showing how happy they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Had the first episode recorded from last night - what a great opening to the new series. Felt like it did a good job of picking up where the last series finished, and at the same time introduced some good new characters. The judge and his Indian buddy are excellent. That scene where they rode into the town was like something from one of the old 70's westerns.

The cockfight was well done too, they're vicious creatures. The way it was filmed looked very authentic! The whole production is top notch. The music, the camera, the acting, easily one of the best things to come out of Irish TV in the last few years.

Looking forward to seeing where this series goes. I'd agree that they seem to be setting Padraig and Bridget up for a bad end. The cousin character looks set to cause some mischief too.

Second part of the new series is on tonight. I was thinking of recording the whole series and watching them back to back when it's done, but I don't think I can wait that long.

It's a pity that TG4 don't just release the whole series in one go online the way that Netflix do. I don't think they would lose any viewers doing this as most people like to binge watch nowadays anyway, and this show is definitely one to binge on.

• Advertisement

Second part of the new series is on tonight. I was thinking of recording the whole series and watching them back to back when it's done, but I don't think I can wait that long.

It's a pity that TG4 don't just release the whole series in one go online the way that Netflix do. I don't think they would lose any viewers doing this as most people like to binge watch nowadays anyway, and this show is definitely one to binge on.

Would they lose out on advertising revenue that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

As much as I loved the first season, I really feel they've upped their game with season 2 - it feels a lot more polished and I'm already waiting in anticipation for next week, which is a good sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Shannon Control

As much as I loved the first season, I really feel they've upped their game with season 2 - it feels a lot more polished and I'm already waiting in anticipation for next week, which is a good sign.

The camerawork is significantly better in S2 IMO. Much better shots of the characters and the saloon, really immerses you in the whole thing. Such an excellent show. Next week is bound to be intense!

The camerawork is significantly better in S2 IMO. Much better shots of the characters and the saloon, really immerses you in the whole thing. Such an excellent show. Next week is bound to be intense!

This week was pretty intense!
    I really enjoyed the Kate storyline and was very sad to see her die. This show certainly has no qualms about killing off main characters - looks like Jacob is on the way out now too. Thought the scene with the judge and Belinda Mulrooney was one of the best scenes in the 2 seasons

It really is a fantastic show. The 4 episodes really adds to it too. I am not sure it would work if it was more than 4 episodes. I'd love if more people watched it.

Yes, these new episodes do feel like a step up in terms of production values. The first series was an example of good old fashioned story telling, with some excellent performances, but this new series has brought things to another level. I think you are right Shannon Control, the way the series is shot does feel more dynamic this time round. Some of the new cast, the Judge and his henchman in particular, also elevate the material. Tim Murphy was made for Westerns, he was an inspired casting choice.

This week was pretty intense!
    I really enjoyed the Kate storyline and was very sad to see her die. This show certainly has no qualms about killing off main characters - looks like Jacob is on the way out now too. Thought the scene with the judge and Belinda Mulrooney was one of the best scenes in the 2 seasons

It really is a fantastic show. The 4 episodes really adds to it too. I am not sure it would work if it was more than 4 episodes. I'd love if more people watched it.

I hope they don't do down the route of
    killing Jacob off
    . He's one of the best things about the show. He hasn't featured much so far but I get the feeling that his character will still have a vital role to play. I agree with what you say about them killing off main characters. Even in the first series I was surprised
    when JJ was killed in the duel. I had expected him to be one of the main characters all the way through.

It does leaving you wondering - who's next?

• Advertisement

Yes, these new episodes do feel like a step up in terms of production values. The first series was an example of good old fashioned story telling, with some excellent performances, but this new series has brought things to another level. I think you are right Shannon Control, the way the series is shot does feel more dynamic this time round. Some of the new cast, the Judge and his henchman in particular, also elevate the material. Tim Murphy was made for Westerns, he was an inspired casting choice.

I hope they don't do down the route of
    killing Jacob off
    . He's one of the best things about the show. He hasn't featured much so far but I get the feeling that his character will still have a vital role to play. I agree with what you say about them killing off main characters. Even in the first series I was surprised
    when JJ was killed in the duel. I had expected him to be one of the main characters all the way through.

It does leaving you wondering - who's next?
    It would be great if he recovers and is out to get revenge on Estella!

It would be great if he recovers and is out to get revenge on Estella!

Yeah, be interesting to see if she has some plan to protect herself in this case. Not sure her bodyguard is up to handling any serious threat!

Saw a trailer on TG4 for tonight's episode. It looks like things in the town are about to kick off alright.

F***ing hell, last night's episode was class. In most shows that would've been the season finale, that's how good it was. Can not wait for the actual finale next week.

Dara Devaney is in his element as Séamus - such a great actor and it would be great to see him get big roles Stateside through this, because he deserves a cut of that Hollywood money.

Dont see this up on TG4 player yet. Any idea what day it usually goes up?

Dont see this up on TG4 player yet. Any idea what day it usually goes up?

http://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/baile/?pid=5323063635001

F***ing hell, last night's episode was class. In most shows that would've been the season finale, that's how good it was. Can not wait for the actual finale next week.

Dara Devaney is in his element as Séamus - such a great actor and it would be great to see him get big roles Stateside through this, because he deserves a cut of that Hollywood money.

Super ending alright.

Finally caught up last night. It really is a fantastic show, delighted about Mici. Is it just me or does Seamus seem like a different character? He was all about the drinking and gambling and fighting, now he's the voice of reason who has no problem with what the blonde woman did (can't remember her name).

Finally caught up last night. It really is a fantastic show, delighted about Mici. Is it just me or does Seamus seem like a different character? He was all about the drinking and gambling and fighting, now he's the voice of reason who has no problem with what the blonde woman did (can't remember her name).

Why would he have a problem with what she did? She saved his sons life!

• Advertisement

Well it's not totally obvious that's what happened. You could also think she stole the child/bought the child/ was blackmailing Kate. I just think he accepted the situation without any question.

Well it's not totally obvious that's what happened. You could also think she stole the child/bought the child/ was blackmailing Kate. I just think he accepted the situation without any question.

There was a scene where Séamus went to talk with Belinda in the hotel and she told him how Estella had found the baby. So he must have accepted her version of events.

It really was a fantastic episode. That last 20 minutes were just jaw dropping, it was great to see Jacob get some of his old fire back.
    It's hard to see any way out from that situation for Padraig, what a cliffhanger. It would be a bold move to kill his character, but in fairness he had his chance to leave the town and should have left.

I'm going to watch it again tonight, there's a repeat on TG4.

Last episode of this tonight. Myself and my better half have been waiting all week to see what has become of Pádraig!

Last episode of this tonight. Myself and my better half have been waiting all week to see what has become of Pádraig!

Thought it was a brilliant season overall.

Not sure if the show can go anywhere from here though. It'll be hard to top that season and lost a lot of great characters

Fantastic season - it really upped it's game from the first season and I'm sad that it's over.
    Thought it was a brilliant season overall.

Not sure if the show can go anywhere from here though. It'll be hard to top that season and lost a lot of great characters

Apparently they have plans for a third season, but they just need to get the thumbs up from TG4 as to whether they're getting renewed or not.

Fingers crossed for a return from me anyway.

Fantastic season - it really upped it's game from the first season and I'm sad that it's over.

Apparently they have plans for a third season, but they just need to get the thumbs up from TG4 as to whether they're getting renewed or not.

Fingers crossed for a return from me anyway.

I'd worry about a third season. Purely because theyd need to introduce new characters and actors who may not be as strong as the ones there previously

I'd worry about a third season. Purely because theyd need to introduce new characters and actors who may not be as strong as the ones there previously

Judging by how the show built on the success of the first series and delivered something truly exceptional in the series just finished, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to come up with the goods third time round.

I'd be amazed if TG4 don't give the go ahead for another series. It's by far the best show they have produced.

Judging by how the show built on the success of the first series and delivered something truly exceptional in the series just finished, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to come up with the goods third time round.

I'd be amazed if TG4 don't give the go ahead for another series. It's by far the best show they have produced.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love a season 3. I think this is the best thing on tv! It's the greatest open secret out there. Like, there's 3 or 4 posters on this thread talking about. In contrast, the striking out thread had numerous posters.

My worry is simply that season 2 was so good that it may have peaked.

No judge, Irish pat or mr. Angel in next season. No kate mulryan and that story has pretty much ran it's course. No Padraig and I don't see any reason Bridget would return. The big secret about who blew up on the mine is no longer there. Belinda married off, don't see where they'd go with that.

The scope for a season 3 would involve Hopkins trying to take back his empire? Or a feud between the brothers again?

It's an awesome show. That cast is fantastic. I'd find it hard to pick out a weak link amongst them.

Good to see this show being recognised with some awards at the IFTAs last night. From what I could see TG4 were up for a lot more awards than any of the RTE productions which was an interesting reflection on the current state of RTE's output.

I was reading an interview with Lenny Abrahamson at the weekend where he slated RTE and called their drama department 'depressing and mediocre...not risk-taking, not developing talent.'

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/irish-tv-drama-depressing-and-mediocre-says-room-director-lenny-abrahamson-35607218.html

Looking at RTE's recent output you'd have to agree with him.

Does anyone know if news of a third series of 'An Klondike' has been announced yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How to watch both seasons of this - is there somewhere to buy a DVD? I see the first season 'Dominion Creek' alright but it's ludicrously expensive in it's foreign version.

Advertisement