Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?!

Options
  • 04-09-2015 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

Looking for advice or idea's, hopefully someone can help me!

I live in Dublin and have received 20 acres of land (includes house & yard) in the midlands.

I haven't a clue what to do with it. Realistically I could only head down one weekend a month. It was a working farm until recently so at the very least I would like to keep it maintained.

I though about leasing some land however the guy currently leasing some fields is putting up to 30 cattle on a field suitable for 12 so can't see this set up working much longer!

Not excited about planting trees on the land for 20years either as you would end up spending the full earnings clearing up the land after the term was up.

I only have a limited knowledge of farming so currently the focus isn't on making money but more on keeping the land ticking over - any low maintenance idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Peterpower wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advice or idea's, hopefully someone can help me!

I live in Dublin and have received 20 acres of land (includes house & yard) in the midlands.

I haven't a clue what to do with it. Realistically I could only head down one weekend a month. It was a working farm until recently so at the very least I would like to keep it maintained.

I though about leasing some land however the guy currently leasing some fields is putting up to 30 cattle on a field suitable for 12 so can't see this set up working much longer!

Not excited about planting trees on the land for 20years either as you would end up spending the full earnings clearing up the land after the term was up.

I only have a limited knowledge of farming so currently the focus isn't on making money but more on keeping the land ticking over - any low maintenance idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for you help
    Peter

Get rid of the current cowboy tenant and get a decent tenant in who will look after the place as part of the agreement.. Not all lads treat rented land so badly.. If you get a good tenant in you will have income, your asset will be maintained and you will have the minimum trouble/hassle.

Advertisement