Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you / would you have a cleaner?

Options
  • 04-09-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am over spending my day off cleaning washing and mopping. I find it all so tedious. I like the idea of a cleaner but not sure of the practicalities.

Do you or would you have a cleaner??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I am over spending my day off cleaning washing and mopping. I find it all so tedious. I like the idea of a cleaner but not sure of the practicalities.

Get one, you will not regret it. 12 euro an hour: cleaning, ironing, hoovering. They may not do it 100% the way you do but it gets done every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nope, never. Unless there's a very good reason that you can't (illness or incapacity), everyone should be able to clean their own gaff. A quick half hour every day is all it takes, your problem is you're letting it pile up.

Less time watching crap on telly and playing with your computer and more time sweeping and wiping, that's what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Definitely, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lately I've been considering it, maybe get one in every two weeks for 3-4 hours to clean the bathroom, hall and living area (only live in an apartment and it doesn't get too dirty anyway)

Btw do they provide all their own cleaning products, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

If I could afford it I would. Would rather relax outside of work than have to clean.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

kfallon wrote: »
    Lately I've been considering it, maybe get one in every two weeks for 3-4 hours to clean the bathroom, hall and living area (only live in an apartment and it doesn't get too dirty anyway)

Depends, some do, some don't

Buy yer own fairy liquid ya bollocks! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yep. Costs us €12 each a week. Frees up time. I earn multiples of what I pay the cleaner per hour. I don't have to spend the couple of hours cleaning. I spend it earning instead. Pay the cleaner from the earnings, and still keep most of it. Cleaner is happy to have the work. Don't have to clean. Just maintain. It's an economy of time, really. Nothing to do with the fact that I couldn't be arsed cleaning.

Win-win all round.

Buy yer own fairy liquid ya bollocks! :p

Say you have plenty of it in your balls...... :pac:

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Yep. Costs us €12 each a week. Frees up time. I earn multiples of what I pay the cleaner per hour. I don't have to spend the couple of hours cleaning. I spend it earning instead. Pay the cleaner from the earnings, and still keep most of it. Cleaner is happy to have the work. Don't have to clean. Just maintain. It's an economy of time, really. Nothing to do with the fact that I couldn't be arsed cleaning.

Win-win all round.

€24 a week only? How many hours is that?

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Have one too, well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'd shag anyone half decent, and sure isn't it a living anyway?

Win-win all round.

That's still €624 you're squandering every year. Doesn't matter how much you earn, if you spend the rest of it as foolish as that it's not so much of a win-win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭murphydublin

I have two issues

The Trust one - having someone in your home when you are not there

If I am there while they work I would feel weird and lazy just sitting there.

I wonder would I be one of those who clean so the cleaner do not think we are pigs :)

We both works. 2 teenagers and a little one. Endless training matches etc in evening time . I want to have a tidy home but when the day is finally done the last thing I do is clean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

We got a cleaner a few months ago, recommended by a neighbour. Lovely woman who does a great job every week. €40 for four hours.

Domestic arguments over cleaning reduced by approximately 75% as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's still €624 you're squandering every year. Doesn't matter how much you earn, if you spend the rest of it as foolish as that it's not so much of a win-win :)
    It's the price of 2 pints a week. Hardly breaking the bank...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Used to have one - I did lots of tidying up before she came so that she could do the cleaning v. the tidying!

She had worked for other family members so I had no worries re honesty etc.

I work from home so it was strange to be in my 'office' and have someone else cleaning the house around me but it was important to cut out anything bar the initial chat and to return to my work.

Not really. I see three clients during the time I'm out of the house to let the cleaner get on with it. My partner does the same (she charges more though. I may have to look into that...). Those are clients we can't fit in anywhere else in the week. Over €500 between us. Per week. A week and a little bit has us covered for the year, cleaner-wise.

smash wrote: »
    It's the price of 2 pints a week. Hardly breaking the bank...

104 pints a year. Well over a keg. Wasted. Drink is cheaper up here too so it would be 156 pints. That's nearly two kegs.

But anyway, fools and their money, long may they both continue. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Domestic arguments over cleaning reduced by approximately 75% as a result.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Squandering is all relative. By your 30 mins a day you're 'squandering' a week and a half per year cleaning whilst he gets to sit on his hole watching someone else do it for him....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have two issues

The Trust one - having someone in your home when you are not there

If I am there while they work I would feel weird and lazy just sitting there.
    I was housesitting for a friend a few years back and I felt so weird sitting there while the cleaner was working. I found it extra odd because the lady of the house didn't work so every few days she'd just be hanging around the house while someone else did the cleaning.

Now, I'm sure the cleaner was glad of the work, but I couldn't conscience spending money on a cleaner if I was going to be home anyway. Like, pick up a hoover, throw some domestos down the jacks, put the laundry on; it's not hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, have a cleaner that comes once a month to blitz the heavy stuff. My fiancée and I both work long hours so its worth it just to avoid the rows over whose turn it is.

The 'squandering' thing is a simple equation for me. My free time is worth more to me than the cost of having a cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I have a full time live-in cleaner and dog minder, at least in my case it makes life so much easier as i have to travel frequently with short notice.

Not really. I see three clients during the time I'm out of the house to let the cleaner get on with it. My partner does the same (she charges more though. I may have to look into that...). Those are clients we can't fit in anywhere else in the week. Over €500 between us. Per week. A week and a little bit has us covered for the year, cleaner-wise.
    You see that as a good deal, I see that as a return flight to Vegas spent on something I'm well capable of doing myself. :)

You see that as a good deal, I see that as a return flight to Vegas spent on something I'm well capable of doing myself. :)

But I could get that return flight every fortnight for a year from the surplus!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

smurfjed wrote: »
    I have a full time live-in cleaner and dog minder, at least in my case it makes life so much easier as i have to travel frequently with short notice.

Did you forget to log in on your Aongus account?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Corvo

Did you ever think the cleaner might be scrubbing the toilet with your toothbrush and putting it back?

• Advertisement

€24 a week only? How many hours is that?

We're not particularly messy. :)

Advertisement