Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Evil Modern day (post WW1) Regimes .. Ever

Options
  • 02-09-2015 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

With all this ISIS/ISIL stuff, we all know that this organisation is truly evil. But is it one of the worst regimes to come about in modern times? What would you consider the top most evil regimes of modern times (1918 to date)?

Along with ISIS/ISIL, I have to say the Khmer Rouge, the Nazis, the Taliban and - when in a certain frame of mind - Ceaucescu's Romania, Milosevic's Yugoslavia and North Korea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Crystal Swing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

The Iron Rule of Kenny shall go down as one of the bloodiest and brutal in Irelands history.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The Hutu lead government that carried out the Rwandan genocide deserve a mention. For the absolute brutality of how it was carried out alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Er Nazi Germany, then again Communist China, Stalin era Soviet Union and Cambodia/Kampuchea under the Kamer Rouge, Uganda under Idi Amin, South Africa under Apartheid rule all in with a shout.

If measured by scale Stalin or Mao would probably win rather than Nazi Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Carlow County Council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Haughey/Ahern Fianna Fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Definitely North Korea. There are concentration camps in that country similar or worse to Hitler's ones with 100,000+ people inside in them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Duvalier father and son in Haiti right up there.

Saparmurat Niyazov in Turkmenistan also deserves a mention.

Totalitarian, repressive, corrupt, generally evil.

But also a touch of class at times, such as naming months after aspects of his own life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

AH mods '07 - '09.

The Kardashians.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

Communist Sweeden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

Western culture taking offence to anything at all no matter how small.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Louis Walsh and Simon COwell's unrelenting destruction of the music industry.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 slangamerican

Dr Evil, even had the cheek to look for a million dollars...pure evil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I wonder if the Nazi's won in WW2, how would things have panned out?
      Germany holds all the ground it conquered Hitler dies eventually Another dictator would take over, probably a little bit less evil Eventually, we would have one currency, we would all learn German, and be answerable to Germany The holocaust would be written into history as a fair warfare tactic Eventually Germany would lose its power (just like the british empire and the USSR) and the different autonomous countries would break away, albeit with strong links to their former oppressor

So basically no change, except the Holocaust and mass genocide would be totally acceptable as a fair act of war. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

newmug wrote: »
      Germany holds all the ground it conquered Hitler dies eventually Another dictator would take over, probably a little bit less evil Eventually, we would have one currency, we would all learn German, and be answerable to Germany The holocaust would be written into history as a fair warfare tactic Eventually Germany would lose its power (just like the british empire and the USSR) and the different autonomous countries would break away, albeit with strong links to their former oppressor

So basically no change, except the Holocaust and mass genocide would be totally acceptable as a fair act of war. IMO.

The nazis had there eyes on proper movie-style world domination, The Americas and all so honestly god knows how it would have worked out.

To the OP I'd say Stalins Russia, nazi Germany or North Korea. I'v a sneaking suspicion that North Korea is magnitudes worse than we think. Looking at history and what happened in similar situations and then at how closed off the North is I shudder to think of what actually happens to the human beings unfortunate enough to be born there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Dunno about "Best Korea" its probably as bad as Nazi Germany in the sickness meter on par with DarwinAward State in the crazy east.

As it stands Stalin Probably holds the all time High Score for mass murder and genocide in the world. Aint noone gonna break that score unless theyre stupid enough to start World War 3 along with a nuclear exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Haughey/Ahern Fianna Fail
    Communist Sweeden.
    bop1977 wrote: »
    Western culture taking offence to anything at all no matter how small.
    Most evil regimes since first world war? 'k.

Pleasantly surprised at lack of "America" so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Roman Catholic church. Cliché answer now, but they did some truly horrific and evil things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Roman Catholic church. Cliché answer now, but they did some truly horrific and evil things.

http://www.robshep.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/jesus_facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Someone's bound to say Israel soon and then this entire thread will be derailed and eventually locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

AH mods '07 - '09.
    Reported for being a re-reg troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

newmug wrote: »

• Germany holds all the ground it conquered
      Hitler dies eventually
      Another dictator would take over, probably a little bit less evil
      Eventually, we would have one currency, we would all learn German, and be answerable to Germany
      The holocaust would be written into history as a fair warfare tactic
      Eventually Germany would lose its power (just like the british empire and the USSR) and the different autonomous countries would break away, albeit with strong links to their former oppressor

He would have been killed along with hundreds of thousands of miliatary and civilians when an atomic bomb was dropped on Berlin sometime in 1945/46

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

valoren wrote: »
    He would have been killed along with hundreds of thousands of miliatary and civilians when an atomic bomb was dropped on Berlin sometime in 1945/46

bombing japan with a nuke would have been politically different to dropping on on berlin.
    Given the power in the states is of european decent that would have never happened , imo of course.

I often wonder if Hitler ever realised that he'd rule the internet one day.
    The 4th Reich is his

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

The Japanese in China before and during WW2. Estimates of civilian deaths of over 20 million by some authors. Biological warfare experimentation on civilians. In fact pretty much Japan in WW2 anywhere it occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

griffin100 wrote: »
    The Japanese in China before and during WW2. Estimates of civilian deaths of over 20 million by some authors. Biological warfare experimentation on civilians. In fact pretty much Japan in WW2 anywhere it occupied.
    Good point, Imperial Japan's crimes are sometimes neglected. Unit 731 and Nanjing being two that immediately come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Pol Pot, Idi Amin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The catholic cult. Pure and utter evil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

arayess wrote: »
    bombing japan with a nuke would have been politically different to dropping on on berlin.
    Given the power in the states is of european decent that would have never happened , imo of course.

I often wonder if Hitler ever realised that he'd rule the internet one day.
    The 4th Reich is his

I remember reading an article (I think it was on the BBC) of how the Americans found it easier to bring themselves to nuke the Japanese than the Nazis, because they weren't white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I remember reading an article (I think it was on the BBC) of how the Americans found it easier to bring themselves to nuke the Japanese than the Nazis, because they weren't white.
    I've read elsewhere that the Americans were somewhat concerned that the bomb would be a dud and fail to go off, and they were less concerned about the Japanese ability to analyse and replicate the failed bomb than the German ability to do so.

Advertisement