Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

got the racing bug - now what?

• 02-09-2015 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Started racing this year and really enjoyed it, even though I only managed to get in seven races in total. First 3 involved being dropped badly but I managed to hang on for the last 2 and even tried to contest a sprint (for a minor placing) in the last league race of the season - I now know that I can't sprint (yet...)

Anyway, just when I was starting to feel a little bit better in the league races the season is over, so my question is, how do you keep motivation up for base training? Having spent the last few weeks working out how to deal with speed and enjoying the thrill (for me) of race pace, base training for the next 4 months seems like a big come down. Is there anything you do to liven it up? Is it possible to mix in some sprint training without messing up the base training part? Next time I get a chance to contest a sprint, I would like to not end up trailing in last in the bunch :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

If you are looking for somewhere to start then Joe Friels Cycling Training Bible is as good as anywhere else and will give you the tools to put together your own plan. At the other end of the scale is a coach.

The idea behind base is to condition your body to take the load you will then put on it as you move to build. It's the foundations as it were. I'm actually looking forward to it this year after having a pretty disrupted race season.

In your own head you need to know what you want to achieve next year and what will indicate success (ie. To get promoted to A3 by placing in 3 A4 races). That will then give you a pointer to how to train. If you are wanting to get to A3 then you need to be training like an A3 and doing those longer rides otherwise when you get promoted you'll be back to being dropped and struggling in races.

Sprint training - it needs to be done but I 'd leave it till after Christmas. Then I'd find a long straight, put the bike in a big gear, slow down to a near complete stop and try and accelerate out in that hard gear. Repeat 6 times. It will take a few weeks but you'll soon get sprint speed in your legs.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Where are you based OP? Have you thought about giving track a go? That would certainly bring on your sprinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Beasty wrote: »
    Where are you based OP? Have you thought about giving track a go? That would certainly bring on your sprinting.

Headford in Galway. Don't think that there is a track nearby? I would love to have a go if there was. Was also thinking about CX but don't have the funds for a dedicated bike. Would knobbly tires on my road bike be sufficient to have a go?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Would knobbly tires on my road bike be sufficient to have a go?

Probably wouldn't have the clearance for knobbly tyres in the forks and brakes.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Headford in Galway. Don't think that there is a track nearby? I would love to have a go if there was.

Alas there is no track in Connacht. There is a track club in Galway but they come over to Dublin every week to train/race

The only other options in Ireland are in Kanturk and Belfast . The problem with all the Irish tracks is they are outdoors and you need to check the weather before heading to any of them. You would need to check with the respective tracks before heading over to ensure there is an appropriate season available to give it a try out. Not so difficult when you have a local track, but a bit of planning required if you need to travel (having said that when I'm in Manchester I usually try to get on one of the taster sessions at the velodrome there and there are now a few more options in Britain if you are ever over there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

mathie wrote: »

Interesting - so if I am interpreting correctly, it is possible to have a little interval training every week during the base training period as long as you don't overdo it.

I enjoy doing intervals (masochistic streak), so that might work well for me. He seems to suggest that we should stick to longer intervals however. I wonder would it be bad to put in one session of shorter high intensity sprint training every week. Will this negate the effects of the lower intensity base stuff?

PS I'm not sure about his advice 'it's not good to start winter training 5kg overweight'. What if 5kg overweight is the lightest you have been for 15 years;)?

Interesting - so if I am interpreting correctly, it is possible to have a little interval training every week during the base training period as long as you don't overdo it.

I enjoy doing intervals (masochistic streak), so that might work well for me. He seems to suggest that we should stick to longer intervals however. I wonder would it be bad to put in one session of shorter high intensity sprint training every week. Will this negate the effects of the lower intensity base stuff?

PS I'm not sure about his advice 'it's not good to start winter training 5kg overweight'. What if 5kg overweight is the lightest you have been for 15 years;)?

It seems in recent years the universally accepted base miles is now being countered with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)

The question of "do you do long easy miles or shorter sharper rides"?.
    I read somewhere that if you're new to the sport then there's no substitute for the base miles but that if you've a few seasons behind you then you could consider replacing some longer rides with HIIT.
    Have a google for "hiit tabata cycling"

I know you said you started racing this year but when did you start cycling?
    And have you done base winter training in previous years?

mathie wrote: »
    It seems in recent years the universally accepted base miles is now being countered with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)
    Do you mean that people are now recommending HIIT during the off season instead of base training?

My understanding is that racing cyclists have always used HIIT in some form or other but traditionally have avoided that for a few months during the winter and only started to do high intensity intervals as the new season approaches.
    The question of "do you do long easy miles or shorter sharper rides"?.
    I presume you have to do both, so surely the question is not one or the other, but when and how much of each.
    I read somewhere that if you're new to the sport then there's no substitute for the base miles but that if you've a few seasons behind you then you could consider replacing some longer rides with HIIT.
    Have a google for "hiit tabata cycling"

I know you said you started racing this year but when did you start cycling?
    And have you done base winter training in previous years?
    Well I have cycled on and off for many years, but as regards regular 'proper' cycling - 2.5 years ago. I have done about 15,000 km in the last 2.5 years according to strava (not much I know). I have not completed any structured base training before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭nilhg

Not sure what age you are OP but for us older folks it seems that when it comes to top end power it's a case of use it or lose it, this article explains better than I can the theory behind that but the gist seems to be that while younger athletes can take a longish break from high end activity and expect to get back to the same level with training but as you get older you have to continue the higher intensity stuff to keep your performance as high as possible, in the off season you'd do less but not cut it out altogether.

Personally, I find a little strava segment PB/KOM hunting a satisfying way of keeping a bit of competitive edge during the off season if you keep an eye oon the wind forecast there can be opportunities all through the year.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    Not sure what age you are OP but for us older folks it seems that when it comes to top end power it's a case of use it or lose it, this article explains better than I can the theory behind that but the gist seems to be that while younger athletes can take a longish break from high end activity and expect to get back to the same level with training but as you get older you have to continue the higher intensity stuff to keep your performance as high as possible, in the off season you'd do less but not cut it out altogether.

Personally, I find a little strava segment PB/KOM hunting a satisfying way of keeping a bit of competitive edge during the off season if you keep an eye oon the wind forecast there can be opportunities all through the year.

I am 44 (so still a young whippersnapper, right?) - thanks for the link. I do enjoy a bit of strava whoring myself.

Do you mean that people are now recommending HIIT during the off season instead of base training?

My understanding is that racing cyclists have always used HIIT in some form or other but traditionally have avoided that for a few months during the winter and only started to do high intensity intervals as the new season approaches.

I presume you have to do both, so surely the question is not one or the other, but when and how much of each.
    Yeah some research has shown that replacing all longer rides with HIIT in seasoned cyclists gives similar results to those that continue the longer rides.

"Recent work shows that the cardiovascular adaptations to HIIT are similar to and in some cases superior to those of continuous endurance training (Helgerud et al., 2007; Wisløff, Ellingsen, & Kemi, 2009). Helgerud et al. showed that 4 repetitions of 4-minute runs at 90-95% of heart rate max (HRmax) followed by 3 minutes of active recovery at 70% HRmax performed 3 days per week for 8 weeks resulted in a 10% greater improvement in stroke volume when compared to a long, slow distance training group. Additional research by Slordahl et al. (2004) demonstrated that high intensity aerobic training at 90-95% of maximal oxygen consumption (VO2max) increased left ventricle heart mass by 12% and cardiac contractility by 13%, which is comparable to cardiovascular changes observed in continuous aerobic exercise.£
    https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/HIITvsCardio.html

Well I have cycled on and off for many years, but as regards regular 'proper' cycling - 2.5 years ago. I have done about 15,000 km in the last 2.5 years according to strava (not much I know). I have not completed any structured base training before now.

I think you'd need to get the miles in so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op. What club are you in. Winter weekend spins are plentyful around Headford and depending on the club they will be intense enough for a Clubracer wanting to get a good base.

Esroh wrote: »
    Op. What club are you in. Winter weekend spins are plentyful around Headford and depending on the club they will be intense enough for a Clubracer wanting to get a good base.

GBCC - I am planning to be out on Sundays with the club alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

(Sunday) winter base miles are a luxury of the free man and understanding partner. Mixing up the winter with one or two mid-week hour long endurance interval sessions can assist if missing the Sunday spin. It doesn't have to be a sprinting interval every session but a 40 minute session of varied length sprints will not hurt you or your fitness. just don't over do it and become a winter hero.

Advertisement