Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Chess Union AGM.

Options
  • 31-08-2015 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

The Annual AGM of the MCU is to take place on Sunday the 6th of September at the Charleville Park Hotel. Start time 8pm

Proposed motions can be viewed on the MCU website.

I think Dungarvan’s motion regarding changing play from a Saturday to a Sunday is fair and I hope it’s considered by the other members.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

MCU site wrote:

At our committee meeting (3rd Sept 2015) the MCU Committee unanimously agreed to propose the following motion to the MCU AGM.

“The Munster Chess Union has no confidence in the current ICU Executive”.

The background to this motion is that the MCU Delegate, Gerry Graham, travelled to Dublin to attend an ICU Executive meeting at 6:30pm on 27th August.

The Chairman tabled a vote of no confidence in the MCU Delegate based on allegations which he made and when the vote was passed asked Gerry to leave.

This item was not on the Agenda circulated in advance and the Chairman had not contacted the MCU even though the allegations refer to events several months old.

It is the view of the MCU committee that the ICU is not entitled to unilaterally remove its delegate. The allegations do not relate to Gerry’s record as MCU Delegate.

At its meeting the MCU Committee having considered the allegations have reaffirmed their unanimous confidence in Gerry as MCU Delegate. The committee have also proposed a motion of no confidence in the current ICU Executive in view of the lack of any due process in the way in which this vote of no confidence in our delegate was handled.

Looks like the MCU didn't take too kindly to the chairperson's attempt at kicking their delegate out without consultation or proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Tychoo

The ICU have been taking a leaf out Kim joung-un book on dispensing law

reunion wrote: »
    Looks like the MCU didn't take too kindly to the chairperson's attempt at kicking their delegate out without consultation or proof.

Wouldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ovinelover

The MCU's treatment of a previous delegate to the ICU was pretty autocratic and in flagrant violation of it's own constitution. Any attempt to point this out was met with a load of flannel and guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

ovinelover wrote: »
    The MCU's treatment of a previous delegate to the ICU was pretty autocratic and in flagrant violation of it's own constitution. Any attempt to point this out was met with a load of flannel and guff.

Interesting example. In that case the ICU Chairman contacted the MCU Chairman about issues with the delegates behaviour on the Executive. I understand tried to resolve the issue amicably but the delegate refused to change. Ultimately he was removed as delegate by a unanimous vote of the other MCU Committee members in accordance with the constitution.

Funnily enough he was also voted off the Munster Junior Chess Committee a year or two later and he also refuses to accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ovinelover

rob51 wrote: »
    Interesting example. In that case the ICU Chairman contacted the MCU Chairman about issues with the delegates behaviour on the Executive. I understand tried to resolve the issue amicably but the delegate refused to change. Ultimately he was removed as delegate by a unanimous vote of the other MCU Committee members in accordance with the constitution.

Funnily enough he was also voted off the Munster Junior Chess Committee a year or two later and he also refuses to accept that.

The trouble with that was that the constitution did not confer that power on anybody. My objection was based on a reading of the constitution, not on the rights or wrongs of the matter. As I've prepared many documents that have satisfied the High Court of Justiciary in Scotland I feel better qualified than most to parse a quasi-legal document such as the MCU's constitution.
    This is only one example and it was perhaps the least offensive to reason.
    Possibly the MCU did the right thing but it's constitution was silent on the matter.
    Previous ICU execs have had a habit of making it up as they went along with not even a nod to fair procedure or natural justice and rammed things through.
    As I've said elsewhere it's a bit like The Lord of the Flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is the MCU actually incorporated?

Rumour has it that John Alfred is at the current munster AGM.

The meeting is on hold until he leaves. The Garda have been called. Repeat of last year.

Maybe Pat wants a new member for his committee?

The Garda have been called.

loss_for_words.gif

And John has been asked to leave by the gardai and has complied.

The meeting will be resuming shortly.

• Advertisement

Were off

And John has been asked to leave by the gardai and has complied.
    I would pay cash money to see someone publish the uncensored opinion of those Gardai on the state of Irish Chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lecale

Really now, with tales like this, why would you want to be involved in Irish Chess?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hey, with tales like this, why wouldn't you want to be involved in Irish chess? :p

Is John Alfred just not a member of the MCU? I know he was at the ICU AGM a couple of years back; tried to take the floor a couple of times, but it was pointed out he wasn't a member and wasn't entitled to a view. Presume something similar here?

Also, was the AGM held up almost an hour by this? Seems that way from the post times here.

So the meeting finished at 23:05. So the meeting took 3 hours with a 1 hour recess after starting.

Summary of what was passed:

League Rule Motions:

We at Dungarvan Chess Club wish to propose that Munster League games be played on a Sunday instead of Saturday as due to work commitments some players are finding it hard to get time off to play.

Passed

All players used by a team must be added to the team panel on the MCU Website before playing in any on the day of the match. If they are not on the current ICU membership list the player’s name may be added to the panel until their membership is completed.

Any game by a player not on the team panel will be treated as a walkover.

Passed with amendment

Update article 16 of the MCU League Rules to:

All team captains will report results of matches within 48 hours of the completion of the match – please use the MCU website (http://www.munsterchessunion.org/login.php ) to report the results.

Passed

A team captain may nominate another MCU member to act as their reporter in updating their results on the MCU website. The team captain shall send the reporter’s name and email address to the League Controller with the request to add them as the team reporter.

Passed

That the time control used for Division 2 be the same as Division 1 i.e. 90 minutes for all moves plus 30 seconds per move from move 1.

Passed

Guest players may not play on the top two boards of a team.

Passed - proposed amendment to change two to five was rejected.

Constitutional Motions:

Article 3.5 of the Constitution was passed for one year by the 2014 AGM. I would like to propose that this article be made permanent.

3.5 The Committee will also appoint an individual member of the MCU to act as its delegate to the ICU, and such person will be subject to instruction from the committee in respect of the views to be expressed on its behalf to the ICU.

Passed

That paragraph 3.5 in the Constitution be changed to allow the MCU Delegate to the ICU to be voted in at the MCU AGM, as follows...

3.5 The MCU Delegate to the ICU shall be elected at the MCU AGM and will have equal voting rights on the MCU Committee along with the other Officers. The delegate will be advised by the MCU on its position with regard to various MCU matters. The Delegate must attend at least 4 ICU meetings and submit a summary to the MCU Committee within 2 weeks of each ICU meeting.

Motion not considered as the other motion was passed

General Motions:

That the MCU consider adopting a "Corporate Logo or Coat of Arms" that can be used by the MCU for promotion of chess in Munster.

Passed

Emergency Motion

The Munster Chess Union has no confidence in the current ICU Executive.

Passed with an amendment (see below). The below isn't worded as how it passed but it is the spirit of the amendment

The members of the MCU request the chairperson to demand/request an apology from the ICU over the unconstitutional removal of their delegate at the last ICU executive meeting.

Nominations:

Chairman:

Alan Salsac. Elected

Secretary:

Ray O'Brien. Elected

Treasurer:

Simon Lawrence. Elected

League Controller:

Frank Noonan. Elected

ICU Rep:

This position may be filled by Committee nomination if Article 3.5 is adopted by the AGM. If the motion fails nominations for the post are required.
    Article 3.5 passed so the incoming committee will elect this individual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

I understand that letter send by ICU Chairman with reasons of expelling the MCU delegate from ICU Executive was printed out to all MCU members at the AGM? The letter was send in discretion to MCU Chairman few days before the meeting .
    I hope that members could hear both sides .

I understand that letter send by ICU Chairman with reasons of expelling the MCU delegate from ICU Executive was printed out to all MCU members at the AGM? The letter was send in discretion to MCU Chairman few days before the meeting .

If you understood that all members had seen or read such a letter, and they all voted to pass a no-confidence motion and demand an apology from the ICU after that; then I think you could say they'd heard both sides and made a decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

Not sure that letter was given to all members . Just asking reunion as he seems to be there .Were you there? I hope that they didn't hide the letter from members

Not sure that letter was given to all members . Just asking reunion as he seems to be there .Were you there? I hope that they didn't hide the letter from members

I wasn't there. From what you're saying, you weren't either. So you know about this letter... how?
    Because it sounds like you're posting as a member of the ICU committee here.
    And to be clear - that's permitted (hell, I think most ICU members would welcome it). But you need to ping the mods and verify you are who you say you are if you want to post on behalf of the ICU given how contentious all of this is.

How could the letter be printed out to all members, but not given to them?
    Could you try saying that again?

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    I wasn't there. From what you're saying, you weren't either. So you know about this letter... how?
    Because it sounds like you're posting as a member of the ICU committee here.
    And to be clear - that's permitted (hell, I think most ICU members would welcome it). But you need to ping the mods and verify you are who you say you are if you want to post on behalf of the ICU given how contentious all of this is.

Just to note (as a mod) - Chess_coach is Darko Polimac, the development officer of the ICU. He is posting in a personal capacity and not as the development officer of the ICU unless he states otherwise. He has identified himself previously in different threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

Are you able to supply us with the letter?

pawntof4 wrote: »

Is that the hidden letter, the printed letter, or just the plain letter?

The letter made no difference to the motion or the removal of the officer and was not available to members as it was slander.

The simple truths that were discussed

1. The MCU had a delegate on the ICU executive.
    2. The ICU voted to remove the MCU delegate without notice or warning to the MCU.
    3. The ICU were told (by the MCU rep and then the MCU chair) that only the MCU can remove their delegate, not the ICU. That if they wished to discipline a member, they are welcome to do so under their rules. However, they have no right to remove the MCU delegate. That would be unconstitutional but they did so anyway.
    4. The ICU told the MCU to send a different delegate. Effectively meaning any delegate needs ICU approval first.
    5. When the chair of the MCU asked why they weren't notified, Pat (ICU chair) said they were going to do it in the July meeting but the delegate wasn't there (note: not mentioned in the minutes published on the icu site).
    6. The chess players of Munster view this as an insult to their organisation. They are affiliated to the ICU and have a sole delegate to express Munster's views on the ICU committee and weren't given any warning or representation at an ICU meeting as a result.

The question is: can the ICU remove provincial delegates without consultation or notice to the province in question?

The answer: No.

2 years ago the MCU delegate was causing hassle and disrupting meetings, the then executive notified the MCU of the individuals behaviour and the MCU decided to replace the individual.

What makes this worse is, with the Ulster Chess Union now outside the ICU and Connaught not having a chess union, the MCU is the only province outside of Leinster that have a chess union affiliated to the ICU. The ICU, by removing the delegate is making the ICU a Leinster only union.

Regarding the letter, 2 out of 3 points were disproven immediately but the letter had nothing to do with the fact that the MCU were not given a voice at an ICU meeting and the executive refuse to permit the MCU to choose their delegate unless approved by the current ICU executive. The capacity of the current MCU rep is not the conversation topic as the MCU has reaffirmed that their delegate was satisfactory.

Unless the ICU start disciplinary proceedings (and a new thread started) - this letter is not up for discussion or publication in this thread. The letter was not handed out at the meeting nor was its contents discussed. It's contents had no impact on the decision of the Munster Chess Union to demand an apology or to state that they have no confidence in the current executive.

The fact a letter was received was discussed, however the MCU executive stated that no points related to the delegate's function in the ICU executive as the MCU delegate and 2 of the 3 points it raised were disproved instantly with little inspection.

The MCU welcome the ICU to use their own disciplinary procedures to discipline members, however their rep met the requirements to be an executive member as per the ICU constitution. So they had no right to remove the MCU rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

I am losing count of the number of supposed unconstitutional or unreasonable actions taken by the current ICU EC. Is the ejection of Gerry Graham (following the Mark Orr issue and the Galway rapid issue) the third, fourth or even higher number?

Can somebody please post a definitive list of the alleged or proven crimes of the Fitzsimons team so that impartial voters are clear on what exactly are the issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pawntof4

I am losing count of the number of supposed unconstitutional or unreasonable actions taken by the current ICU EC. Is the ejection of Gerry Graham (following the Mark Orr issue and the Galway rapid issue) the third, fourth or even higher number?

Can somebody please post a definitive list of the alleged or proven crimes of the Fitzsimons team so that impartial voters are clear on what exactly are the issues?

This probably deserves it's own thread!

This probably deserves it's own thread forum!

fixed that for you :P

Start a new thread, don't discuss previous wrongdoings of the current ICU executive here. Lets try to keep it to discussions about the MCU AGM, the decisions at the meeting and the fallout.

It is rather important that MCU members are aware of these new rules (4 big items). These rule changes can easily get lost due to the emergency motions - not to mention including a conversation about the ICU executive's wrongdoings!

4 big items that aren't the emergency motions:
    1. Munster league games are played on Sundays this year
    2. Guest players can't play on the top 2 boards of any team
    3. Players must be updated on the panel on the same day as the match. Any later and the player is invalid.
    4. Games need to be submitted within 48 hours otherwise it risks not being FIDE rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Okay, sorry. New thread started. Leaving this one to Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

2. Guest players can't play on the top 2 boards of any team
    How do they define a guest player?

Advertisement