Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise/Techniques for improving hurling swing/distance/power when striking

Options
  • 31-08-2015 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been hitting the gym the last 2 months consistently to improve my strength. Everything is fine so far my running has improved and my strength in the tackle has improved.

One thing however I haven't seen improve is my ability to strike the slitohar. I feel I cant get enough distance compared to my other team mates even though some would be of similar strength or even weaker to me. My standing striking falls just short of what would be normal but my striking on the run is really poor. Also my power striking when going for a goal is very weak. This is for both my left and right side.

What muscles contribute to this? Are there any exercises that would help me improve this? My short grip striking is fine when looking for a pass but again power is my main issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It could be several things including technique - the kind thaty a very minor tweak might see a sizeable improvement.

You might also look at doing some core work to work on core strength and more specifically rotational work. Russian twists, for example.

You could also do some grip work. If your grip isn't strong, there'll be a bit of give at the point of striking that will take distance off the sliotar.

Spend more time working on hitting the ball harer and longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

It could be several things including technique - the kind thaty a very minor tweak might see a sizeable improvement.

You might also look at doing some core work to work on core strength and more specifically rotational work. Russian twists, for example.

You could also do some grip work. If your grip isn't strong, there'll be a bit of give at the point of striking that will take distance off the sliotar.

Spend more time working on hitting the ball harer and longer.

Actually now that you mention it. Yesterday when striking in wet conditions ( wasnt raining just the wet grass meant the sliothar was wet) I found my left hand sliding of the hurl when I striked the ball.

How do you improve the strength of your grip?

Stuff like holding heavy DBs for time. Rest and repeat.

If your gym has a fatter bar, lob on some weight and hold. Or try make the grip wider with a cloth or some such and try holding the bar.

At the end of your last rep in a set of deadlifts, hold the bar for, say 20s. More if you can.

That's obviously not an exhaustive list but a few options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ya I'd agree with grip work.

You know yourself a lot of hurlers who are small but have strong forearms and wrists and are powerful strikers.

When it's all said and done though, it's about technique. The only sure fire way to improve striking is to put in the hours. Get down the hand ball alley with your Hurley an put in the hours. It doesn't take huge strength to launch that sliother, just proper timing and finding that sweet spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

For hurling, what rotational work would you do and how often would you do it?

• Advertisement

Russian twists, med ball lunge and twist and woodchoppers (cable or dumbbell). Med ball slams aren't rotational but a good exercise anyway.

Just incorporate them into your gym work. The compound lifts and grip work will definitely help with strength.

A boatload of technique practice will also help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 massey99

Found this thread interesting. I hurl as well and found the best way to improving striking on the run was short grip striking in the ball alley. You'll be amazed after practice how much stronger and crisper your striking gets. Over time you can increase the length of your grip as you gain better control. You should also try a good exercise on the field.. Run at speed to ball, collect and on the run strike the ball. Practice both sides. Again start with short grip and over time you'll see how distance will improve. The main thing is making sure your getting a clean strike of the ball so practise practise and more practise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

massey99 wrote: »
    Found this thread interesting. I hurl as well and found the best way to improving striking on the run was short grip striking in the ball alley. You'll be amazed after practice how much stronger and crisper your striking gets. Over time you can increase the length of your grip as you gain better control. You should also try a good exercise on the field.. Run at speed to ball, collect and on the run strike the ball. Practice both sides. Again start with short grip and over time you'll see how distance will improve. The main thing is making sure your getting a clean strike of the ball so practise practise and more practise...

Exactly. A lot of the time honing your hurling technique will do more for you than gym work. That's not to say the right gym work won't help - it will.

But investing a lot more time in improving technique is going to yield results you won't get with gym work alone

Advertisement