Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small TV or tablet?

Options
  • 30-08-2015 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a small TV or tablet to hang on the wall in front of a cross trainer. The only purpose will be watching movies, listen music or perhaps browse YouTube.
    As a USB connection is required for the movies I am thinking of a cheap tablet.
    Any body has a better suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

If going for a tablet I would aim for a Windows PC tablet particularly if your going to be using USB, Android can be a little unreliable in this area plus a PC has way more flexibility in what you can run.

On Amazon search for the Linx 10 inch Tablet which will only cost you a little over 200 euros, update it to win 10 which is free and you can use the touch screen interface or install any other desktop apps you might be missing, it has a micro USB port so with correct adapter/cable it will work with any HDD. The media center software Kodi also has a touch screen interface (must be manually activated in settings\appearance).

Typically anything larger than 10" will be a laptop/tablet hybrid which will be way more expensive.

If your deep into Android ecosystem then a 10" tablet or larger could do the trick as well (Kodi is available on Android too) but watch out for the type of USB ports in use on Android tablets and Android does not support common PC file systems like NTFS, exFAT typically it's only FAT32 which has a 4GB file size limit. Some Android tablets do support other file systems but it's something you need to find out before buying.

For TV's the USB media player can be functional but primitive, dont expect too much particularly at the low end with small TV's, they may not even have Youtube support. Buying a Raspberry Pi2 or CuBoxTV then installing Kodi (via Openelec) on it for use with the TV would be much better, you can use HDMI-CEC to allow TV remote to control Kodi. Kodi has it's own Youtube plugin and is the best independent video/music player available.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Meteor67

Thanks catfax.

This sounds good for me. Was thinking in the same direction but didn't know about Kodi.

Advertisement