Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym expectations

Options
  • 30-08-2015 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Just to set the scene

Two years ago I was in a bad car accident. I have since recovered fully. But for 18 or 19 months I was very limited in ways to excersice.

I have recently moved back to my home town and joined my old gym which has since changed hands since I was a remember.

I joined on Friday, paid up front for six months ($300) and was told I would have a "induction" today at 4 PM

Being a member of various gyms over the years I was expecting the standered sort of assessment and being handed a pretty standard workout plan

So I went along, no weight measured, no heart rate or BP checked, no measurements taken.

I was shown 4 four machines bench press, shoulder press, Lat pulldown, leg curl and leg press. Something was mumbled about doing 4 sets of 15. None of it written down for me, or any weights suggested.

I ask if the instructor if he was going to take any measurements, weigh me, write down a program. The sort of stuff that I'm used to from other gyms. I was told no, that was personal training and the gym offer a personal training service. Its e30 every six weeks (or a additonal €260 over the year) on top of the membership fee. Now to be fair he did say that I would also get "a full diet" as well.

Is this standard practice now, or should I try and get my cash back and go somewhere else. If its standard practice, that fine. I'm just don't want to come across as unreasonable if I ask for my cash back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

No, not standard on my gym anyway.

I had a 1 on 1 meeting, went through my complete medical history, took all measurements asked what I was looking for out of the gym,also discussed diet. After that we went for a brief walk around the gym, was tested on a few things to see what my general fitness was like.

A week later I had a follow up, with a full program done up for me and was walked through all of the exercises on the list. We have the option of following up on that every 6 months so we can adjust it.

But on saying all of that, by now, I have moved on from what I was shown and nearly everything I do was not on my original plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Pegmatite

Hi Hairyslug
    That had been my experience in the past. I thought things might of changed. But I'm really not happy with paying €300 and then another €30 every six weeks to see how things are working out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Pegmatite wrote: »
    Hi Hairyslug
    That had been my experience in the past. I thought things might of changed. But I'm really not happy with paying €300 and then another €30 every six weeks to see how things are working out.

Then try and get out now if you can.

Tbh, while the gym instructors offered good safe advice, it was still limited. I would say, if you like the layout of the gym, the equipment they have and the general atmosphere of the place, maybe think about getting 1 PT class just so they can get a program set up for you and stay they

hairyslug wrote: »
    Then try and get out now if you can.

Tbh, while the gym instructors offered good safe advice, it was still limited. I would say, if you like the layout of the gym, the equipment they have and the general atmosphere of the place, maybe think about getting 1 PT class just so they can get a program set up for you and stay they

I think I am going to try and get out of it, and go somewhere they don't want to charge me for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I joined on Friday, paid up front for six months ($300) and was told I would have a "induction" today at 4 PM

Being a member of various gyms over the years I was expecting the standered sort of assessment and being handed a pretty standard workout plan

So I went along, no weight measured, no heart rate or BP checked, no measurements taken.

I was shown 4 four machines bench press, shoulder press, Lat pulldown, leg curl and leg press. Something was mumbled about doing 4 sets of 15. None of it written down for me, or any weights suggested.

I ask if the instructor if he was going to take any measurements, weigh me, write down a program. The sort of stuff that I'm used to from other gyms. I was told no, that was personal training and the gym offer a personal training service. Its e30 every six weeks (or a additonal €260 over the year) on top of the membership fee. Now to be fair he did say that I would also get "a full diet" as well.

Is this standard practice now, or should I try and get my cash back and go somewhere else. If its standard practice, that fine. I'm just don't want to come across as unreasonable if I ask for my cash back
    A generic induction that you normally is virtually useless tough. If you are familiar with gyms, you don't need one. Measuring your weight and BP, to go along with a generic program achieves nothing. You really aren't missing anything.

Had they taken detailed measurements, randomly chosen a cardio machine for a warm up, and prescribed starting weights on 8 machines.
    You'd mentally feel better, like you got better value, but in reality you gained nothing. You are paying for the gym, base you decision on the gym, not the induction.

For the most part, those "programs" play a bit part in people aimless plodding along achieve nothing.

hairyslug wrote: »
    But on saying all of that, by now, I have moved on from what I was shown and nearly everything I do was not on my original plan.
    Which is a good example of how useful it was.

I think I am going to try and get out of it, and go somewhere they don't want to charge me for everything
    Almost gyms will charge extra for PT services.
    If they are included with your membership, then they probably aren't worth paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I paid €250 for a yearly membership and was given a program that the instructor spent a full hour going through with me and 6 weeks later, she updated it for me and went through it again. This also included body fat measurements every four weeks too.
    Eventually the brought in a €25 fee for updating the program but that's because people were asking for updates willy nilly and wasting instructors time.

I'd be really annoyed with that service to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

In the past, I've paid about €80 a month for a gym that included proper a proper coaching program as part of the fees. I also had to travel out of my way to get to the place. I could have paid a lot less to get a gym with similar facilities much closer to where I live, so personally I don't think that good coaching is something you can expect to get thrown in for free when you join a gym.

Still though, if you shop around you might find something you prefer to your current gym. Doesn't hurt to look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

In the past, I've paid about €80 a month for a gym that included proper a proper coaching program as part of the fees. I also had to travel out of my way to get to the place. I could have paid a lot less to get a gym with similar facilities much closer to where I live, so personally I don't think that good coaching is something you can expect to get thrown in for free when you join a gym.

Still though, if you shop around you might find something you prefer to your current gym. Doesn't hurt to look.

My belief is this - you join a commercial gym to pay to use the equipment.

If you also want someone to help you - you should have to pay for that.

It's the only way commercial gyms can afford to operate at such rock bottom prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

People need to realize that a lot of commercial gyms are staffed by people who have very little interest in gyming/training, they clock in and clock out. They did some nonsense 3 week course and know feck all and in a lot of cases they are just a glorified cleaner. Now they could be the nicest people in the world but the fact that they work in a gym as a gym instructor means they passed a sh1t course not that they have an interest/passion in helping/motivating people.

I did one of these sh1t courses, it was comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

train in a gym where people offering professional advice for free,whether you want it or not. pmsl

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    My belief is this - you join a commercial gym to pay to use the equipment.

If you also want someone to help you - you should have to pay for that.

It's the only way commercial gyms can afford to operate at such rock bottom prices.

€300 for six months is not a rock bottom price!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

€300 for six months is not a rock bottom price!!!
    You can't really say that without knowing the facilities it has tbh.
    I'm sure you can get cheaper gyms, with less equipment/facilities.

But that's not the point, €300 is €50 a month. There's no room in €50 for one-on-one time with a PT unless you really have a low value in the persons time and/or the gym access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

JJayoo wrote: »
    People need to realize that a lot of commercial gyms are staffed by people who have very little interest in gyming/training, they clock in and clock out. They did some nonsense 3 week course and know feck all and in a lot of cases they are just a glorified cleaner. Now they could be the nicest people in the world but the fact that they work in a gym as a gym instructor means they passed a sh1t course not that they have an interest/passion in helping/motivating people.

I did one of these sh1t courses, it was comical.

I don't see how you can blame the staff. It all depends on what their responsibilities are. They are not just going to go around training people as if they have nothing better for doing. My gym has the trainers manning the reception, keeping any eye on the pool , popping up to the weighs room and tidying up. It's down to the management and the service they plan to provide that dictates what the staff do. Their probably paid a pittance and can't be in two places at once.

Advertisement