Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protein for the gym

Options
  • 30-08-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

I have been going to the gym about 3 times each week since January. My goal is to gain some strength, mainly upper body. I was making good progress until about July, but recently I've found that I am finding it hard to increase my weights and feel a little tired when in the gym in general.

I was wondering would whey protein or the like be helpful to have after my sessions? And if so what kind should I be looking for as there seems to be a lot of different types for strength, muscle building etc. in an ideal world I wouldn't need supplements but because of work I don't usually get the chance to have natural sources of protein after the gym.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What's your sleep like? Stress levels?

If it was food intake, it would more than likely be food intake no being enough rather than necessarily protein not being enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

I wouldn't think it's stress related. I haven't been stressed very much in the last year. I get around 7 hours of sleep per night which I don't consider to be too bad.

Could you recommend what food would be good to have before a gym session?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's not even so much a question of what food or when, but the total calories. Are you generally eating extra? You'd want to be on 300+ extra calories per day to have any hope of progressing now, you're getting past the newbie gains stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,501 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What kind of program are you following? The reason I ask is because you said you go "about 3 times per week", which mightn't suggest much structure.

What kind of program are you following? The reason I ask is because you said you go "about 3 times per week", which mightn't suggest much structure.

I have 2 programs which I alternate on:

Program 1 - Chest/Shoulder:

Bench Press 3 sets/10 reps
    Shoulder Press 3 sets/10 reps
    Incline Bench Press 3 sets/8 reps
    Arnold Press 3 sets/10 reps
    Dumbell Flys 3 sets/8 reps
    Frontal & Lateral raises 3 sets/8 reps
    Bicep Curls 3 sets/8 reps
    Tricep Extensions 3 sets/8 reps

Program 2 - Back/Core:

Wide Grip Pullups 3 sets/10 reps
    Seated Row 3 sets/10 reps
    Back Extension 3 sets/8 reps
    Yates Row 3 sets/8 reps
    TRX Mountain Climbers 3 sets/25-30 reps
    TRX Deltoid Fly 3 sets/12 reps
    V-up 3 sets/25-30 reps
    Sit ups touching toes 3 sets/25-30 reps
    Barbell high pull 3 sets/8 reps

I would usually do about 2/2.5km run before doing these programs.

• Advertisement

Do you know how many calories you're getting on board? Roughly.

I take in about 1200 calories per working day. I'm guessing that isn't enough.

colmulhall wrote: »

Unlikely but it's also likely you're underestimating. How do you work out that calorie intake?

Height/weight?

I used My Fitness Pal app. I'm 5 '10 and weight 11 stone on the dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zillah wrote: »
    You'd want to be on 300+ extra calories per day to have any hope of progressing now, you're getting past the newbie gains stage.

I'd agree with that for size gains, but its not required to increase strength, weight on the bar etc - but of course it'll make that easier too, as would more muscle.
    But 1200 cals (if accurate) is way too little. No wonder you are tired and struggling. Has your weight been dropping? 1200 cals is a very harsh weight loss deficit.
    If your goals are simply to get stronger you should be eating at least twice that imo (2400), if you want to put on muscle too then it should be +300 on top (2700).
    My goal is to gain some strength, mainly upper body
    Why are you ignoring you legs?
    You are doing 13 upper body exercises, and some core work. No legs.
    Unless you are in a wheelchair, then that's pretty silly.

• Advertisement

I definitely need to take in more calories anyway. Can anyone suggest good sources which don't take a lot of preparation?

I don't do a specific leg session but I am pretty active with running/walking. Might be a good idea to add a few leg exercises to my workouts though..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

50g flahavans jumbo oats
    200g liberte greek style yoghurt

yes indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

colmulhall wrote: »
    I definitely need to take in more calories anyway. Can anyone suggest good sources which don't take a lot of preparation?

I don't do a specific leg session but I am pretty active with running/walking. Might be a good idea to add a few leg exercises to my workouts though..

I'm new to this weight gain too. For breakfast today I had 2 eggs with Turkey, then I made a quick shake that took 5 mins, including washing up.
    Water,
    80g porridge oats,
    50g whey protein
    1/2 banana
    15g peanut butter
    1 tablespoon linseed
    7 Brazil nuts
    And blend up. I'd have this over the next hour. Total calories just over 1100 incl eggs

Thanks for the suggestions.

Another question - is it a better idea to do cardio before weights, or weights before cardio in general? I do around 2.5km of pretty heavy running usually when I go to the gym.

It's only 2.5k so you're probably doing it in less than 15 minutes and it might not make a huge difference but generally speaking, you're better of doing cardo after weights because you need glycogen for fuelling the muscles to lift weights and the cardio will burn through the glycogen stores.

Advertisement