Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diy crossfit groups?

Options
  • 30-08-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi
    Wondering about crossfit. Nice ideas but price is a bit much esp since I have the gear and a gym membership already...

So is it possible to do it yourself? Like minded ppl. I'm a rugby gaa type that wants to get stronger faster fitter more mobile...

In cork.
    Can already snatch c&j with basic form... Dont fancy paying 100euro to be retaught what I've learned 10years ago when crossfit didn't exist here...

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What are you asking? Whether you can do crossfit / olympic lifting type workouts off your own steam? If that's the question, knock yourself out I say.

Yes, all of the exercises in crossfit are possible without having a crossfit membership.

Is that what you're asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

newwan wrote: »
    Hi
    Wondering about crossfit. Nice ideas but price is a bit much esp since I have the gear and a gym membership already...

So is it possible to do it yourself? Like minded ppl. I'm a rugby gaa type that wants to get stronger faster fitter more mobile...

In cork.
    Can already snatch c&j with basic form... Dont fancy paying 100euro to be retaught what I've learned 10years ago when crossfit didn't exist here...

What do ye think?
    go onto www.crossfit.com pick a wod you fancy now and again or check out many of the crossfit boxes that post their wods daily and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Transform wrote: »
    go onto www.crossfit.com pick a wod you fancy now and again or check out many of the crossfit boxes that post their wods daily and take it from there.

Before actually joining a crossfit box I tried the pick a wod thing. Didn't work for me. Getting set up for a wod in a gym is difficult due to placement of equipment, availability and timing issues on equipment especially if your in a busy gym.

Saying that you could work wods around the layout of your gym and hope for the best when you arrive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's nothing stopping you doing crossfit type metcons/wods on your own.
    If you are looking to get a few like minded people together in a group it becomes more tricky. Extra equipment needed, varying abilities, somebody needs to manage the "programming"
    What do you consider basic form? What sort of weights, as issues with form are easy to hide under light loads.
    But if you are happy with current strength/abilities, and you's only use a crossfit gym for the equipment, then I don't think it'd be worth the cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

about 30% of my business is to program for people i work with once every 4-6 weeks who then use my programming from home or in a commercial gym.

Its easy enough to create wods/metcons that can be done with very limited space or equipment but if you start putting in cleans and snatches its going to be a car crash for most that dont have a coach standing over them all the time. I NEVER program the Olympic lifts for 99% of our clients.

The simple original crossfit workouts are IMO still the best - Helen, The Chief (using KB swings instead of cleans), Cindy etc plus most people can get worked up over an exact metcon yet its the training effect they should be actually looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

What I want really is the group training. And I don't want to pay 150eur a month or whatever for it.

Would it be possible to create your own group and go from there?

My form is ok. C&j 115@ 77. Probably is light enough but I was happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

What I want really is the group training. And I don't want to pay 150eur a month or whatever for it.

Are you asking if it's *possible* to lift with other people and do crossfit type metcons?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

No I want to create or join a group that trains like this.

Doesnt seem to be easy

• Registered Users Posts: 36,158 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Your C & J is nationally competitive in your weight class:

http://weightliftingireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/WI-Mens-Ranking-List-23.08.15.pdf

Doesnt seem to be easy

Why would people join you? Would you program for the group? Coach it? Do you have access to the equipment and know of an appropriate space for a group to train in?

This is all possible, build it and they will come as they say. But getting a like minded group together and finding a public facility that could cater to your wishes would be very difficult imo. There is a reason why such training is expensive, and coaching is only part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Doesnt seem to be easy

As I said above
    Mellor wrote: »
    If you are looking to get a few like minded people together in a group it becomes more tricky. Extra equipment needed, varying abilities, somebody needs to manage the "programming"

1. What size group?
    2. What equipment do you have now? Is it enough?
    3. How much will more equipment cost?
    4. Is there a minimum standard to join the group?
    5. If so, what is it? If not, what instruction will novices get?
    6. Once the group is up and running, who will handle the programming? (it doesn't have to be a person in the group, many sites publish daily WODs.

Advertisement