Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE One HD and RTE One+1 launch on Sky

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lertsnim wrote: »
    It would be great if TG4 would do the same for their sports coverage.

TG4 already have an Irish language commentary on their coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

TG4 already have an Irish language commentary on their coverage.

No flies on you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lertsnim wrote: »
    No flies on you.

Could not resist it.

However, the Saorview signal is capable of delivering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

A516 Digital reporting that Sky closed down a number of their Box Office channels today, due to very few people using them, as people are using Sky Store instead. The point being that they said it frees up valuable transponder space. I'm guessing here, but this could be the transponder space that will allow RTE1 HD to become a reality.

Wonder will all the RTE channels (including the radio stations) that are on Saorview,go onto the SKY epg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

RTÉ News Now and RTÉ One +1 are to appear alongside the player and HD channel - deal officially announced by RTÉ.

irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ News Now and RTÉ One +1 are to appear alongside the player and HD channel - deal officially announced by RTÉ.

Nice one,have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Nice one,have you a link?
    sure why would anyone post a link to an announcement they are quoting?

anyhow,
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0904/725719-sky-rte-announce-long-term-partnership/

anyhow,
    http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0904/725719-sky-rte-announce-long-term-partnership/

No mention of the extra radio stations that are only on saorview. Was hoping RTE gold would go on Sky! :(

irishfeen wrote: »

Start scanning those transponders guys !

• Advertisement

Why, I already have them all on Saorview - and for free.

Why, I already have them all on Saorview - and for free.

Good for you, so have I, but I also have Sky. I, like many others only use Saorview for the kitchen and bedroom, but Sky is for serious viewing, in particular recording, series link etc. I've always said the lack of a PVR for Saorview is a serious drawback. I'm looking forward to finally being able to record RTE1 in HD. There are over 600,000 Sky subscribers in Ireland, so I'm sure I'm not the only happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

"In the near future". That could be any time between now and Christmas really. So, don't be expecting them to appear next week like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

anyhow,
    Was on the mobile in work - sorry couldn't do it.

Paddy C wrote: »
    "In the near future". That could be any time between now and Christmas really. So, don't be expecting them to appear next week like.

True, but reading the wording on the press release, the Player is scheduled for "the coming months" and as you said the channels are " in the near future ", so I would read it that the channels will appear in weeks rather than months - hopefully !

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

galtee boy wrote: »
    I've always said the lack of a PVR for Saorview is a serious drawback.
    http://www.freetv.ie/saorview-pvr.html

It's only a €100 in PowerCity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

ftakeith wrote:
    it is 98% in saorview areas

I meant on the sky platform but I guess you knew that.

eirman wrote: »
    http://www.freetv.ie/saorview-pvr.html

It's only a €100 in PowerCity.

Forgive me, I meant a proper pvr, as in a Humax, Manhattan etc. Lots of previous posters here, have reported that box as being an unreliable piece of sh**e. That is unless newer versions of it have greatly improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

OK, so the channels are to be carried on the Sky platform.

These are channels to which we have contributed via our licence payment.

Are these channels going to be 'in the clear' so people do not have to pay a second time or are they definitely behind a paywall?

Who gains financially from this arrangement?
    If it is RTÉ then will this affect the distribution of the licence monies?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Are these channels going to be 'in the clear' so people do not have to pay a second time or are they definitely behind a paywall?

Considering the current RTE channels are behind a paywall I don't see how this will be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are behind a paywall, but are available to all Sky subscribers. As is the case on UPC, incidentally, where *every* channel is behind a paywall.

It would be great if RTE could be free to air on Astra, but unfortunately the UK broadcasters will never allow that. The price of RTE being free to air on Astra would be the loss of RTE's ability to bid for US and UK programmes and sports (other than maybe GAA). I am not sure licence fee payers would consider that a price worth paying to benefit mainly non licence fee payers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

icdg wrote: »
    They are behind a paywall, but are available to all Sky subscribers. As is the case on UPC, incidentally, where *every* channel is behind a paywall.

It would be great if RTE could be free to air on Astra, but unfortunately the UK broadcasters will never allow that. The price of RTE being free to air on Astra would be the loss of RTE's ability to bid for US and UK programmes and sports (other than maybe GAA). I am not sure licence fee payers would consider that a price worth paying to benefit mainly non licence fee payers.

They could make them free to Irish Sky card holders, even if the card is not current ..... out of subscription, could they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And who would pay to maintain that service? What you are suggesting is FTV cards for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

What could happen is that when an Irish Sky subscriber cancels his Sky package after the contract period expires that the Irish channels should be kept active but without recording capability. This would a get rid of the crazy situation whereby anyone who cancels Sky here can still get all the English channels without contributing a bean.

Not exactly a FTV scheme but some kind of compromise.

Won't happen though will it:D

Widescreen wrote: »
    What could happen is that when an Irish Sky subscriber cancels his Sky package after the contract period expires that the Irish channels should be kept active but without recording capability. This would a get rid of the crazy situation whereby anyone who cancels Sky here can still get all the English channels without contributing a bean.

I get all the UK channels without contributing a bean. I have Freesat which gives the full UK TV setup for any region - free. I do not subscribe to Sky or UPC, and pay nothing for the privilege. Why does anyone pay Sky?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Two words:Sky Sports.

Unfortunately, not available (well, except on a phone) without taking a pay-TV package of some sort.
    ] This would a get rid of the crazy situation whereby anyone who cancels Sky here can still get all the English channels without contributing a bean

Wouldn't change it at all, and most other people in Ireland would not call it crazy (though many UK licence payers would have a different view). That's a whole different topic to RTE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Good for you, so have I, but I also have Sky. I, like many others only use Saorview for the kitchen and bedroom, but Sky is for serious viewing, in particular recording, series link etc. I've always said the lack of a PVR for Saorview is a serious drawback. I'm looking forward to finally being able to record RTE1 in HD. There are over 600,000 Sky subscribers in Ireland, so I'm sure I'm not the only happy camper.

I have several non Sky boxes in my house for viewing RTE HD and UK Satellite stations.

One or two are serious linux boxes. Best of all I can record and keep the recording for ever (Unlike Sky) and hey I get no bills from Sky. Thankfully I have not been brainwashed by their must use proprietary box either!

600,000 yeah right. They love when people re-subscribe......it makes their number go up.

STB. wrote: »
    I have several non Sky boxes in my house for viewing RTE HD and UK Satellite stations.

One or two are serious linux boxes. Best of all I can record and keep the recording for ever (Unlike Sky) and hey I get no bills from Sky. Thankfully I have not been brainwashed by their must use proprietary box either!

600,000 yeah right. They love when people re-subscribe......it makes their number go up.

According to searches I did for Irish Sky subscriber numbers, which Sky don't actually release, I'm being conservative. Both the Business Post and Irish Times reckon it's closer to 700,000. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Linux boxes need a good level of IT skill for installing software for EPGs etc and wouldn't be a plug and play option for many people ? Also, no Sky Sports, Sky Go, Box Sets etc. It's horses for courses, all I'm saying is that for the hundreds of thousands of us who are happy with Sky, it's great to have RTE1 HD on the way. It will mean that of the Irish terrestrial channels, we will only have 3e and TG4 not available in HD on Sky. TG4 would be nice, but 3e is no loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Nope it won't.

Sky gift the transponder, encryption and EPG slots to RTÉ in return for only clearing the channels to paying subscribers.

Just as UPC and Eircom carry the RTÉ channels in both SD and HD without the need for an aerial or dish but only for paying subscribers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

When is the next price increase I wonder?

Advertisement