Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anything you've watched on TV influenced your life?

Options
  • 30-08-2015 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I had the enormous pleasure of watching a documentary called Alone in the Wilderness a few weeks ago. It's about a man who decided to move to Alaska in 1967 and build a log cabin. It's an extraordinary piece of television, and genuinely humbling. It's one of the most beautiful pieces of art I've had the pleasure of consuming. It's a diary of simple living, genuine masculinity and a deep appreciation for the world we find ourselves living in. You can see the trailer here if you'd like:

I've now decided to take 4 weeks away and head to Canada to join a team building a log cabin. After Galway land Liam next Sunday of course. The Brother has decided not to head along as he'd rather spend two weeks in Ibiza getting 'yoked up'. :confused:

Have the good people of AH ever watched something on TV that has made them do something that changed their life, or got them out of their comfort zone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I had the enormous pleasure of watching a documentary called Alone in the Wilderness a few weeks ago. It's about a man who decided to move to Alaska in 1967 and build a log cabin. It's an extraordinary piece of television, and genuinely humbling. It's one of the most beautiful pieces of art I've had the pleasure of consuming. It's a diary of simple living, genuine masculinity and a deep appreciation for the world we find ourselves living in. You can see the trailer here if you'd like:

I've now decided to take 4 weeks away and head to Canada to join a team building a log cabin. After Galway land Liam next Sunday of course. The Brother has decided not to head along as he'd rather spend two weeks in Ibiza getting 'yoked up'. :confused:

Have the good people of AH ever watched something on TV that has made them do something that changed their life, or got them out of their comfort zone?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's a bit silly thinking Galway will be holding Liam after the All Ireland. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Beau Geste - Foreign Legion

• Registered Users Posts: 17,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

4 weeks off work? Or do you happen to have, ahem, lots spare time over what happened with China's stock market?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I watched "Bloodsport" with my brother when we were young... A Jean Claude Van Damme martial arts film.... Then I kicked the bollöks out of him after it, practicing the moves for my new career.... Got grounded for the last 3 weeks of summer and a good hiding off my Da that even JCVD couldn't have helped me from.

So it influenced that summer at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bugs Bunny. I've solved many interpersonal issues by dressing up a sexy female rabbit, seducing the person who has been a problem for me, and then whacking them over the head with a heavy-bottomed frying pan when they've been disarmed by lust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'll tell you one thing, if I ever want to get away from it all and 'find' myself in the arsehole of nowhere filming a porcupine's arse, I won't be uploading it to the biggest video sharing platform on the planet. Pretentious bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If he was "Alone in the Wilderness" then who the fcuk was doing the filming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The Simpsons, seasons 2-8.

Whip smart, shockingly funny, satirical but with a soul. The finest television ever made. Utterly life changing for me as a teenager. Molded my sense of humour, introduced me to satire and great writing.

So sad what it has become. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

4 weeks off work? Or do you happen to have, ahem, lots spare time over what happened with China's stock market?

I work in institutional wealth management. The 'Chinese stock market' isn't the type of thing I deal in. Thank you for the concern though.
    Bugs Bunny. I've solved many interpersonal issues by dressing up a sexy female rabbit, seducing the person who has been a problem for me, and then whacking them over the head with a heavy-bottomed frying pan when they've been disarmed by lust.

Bugs had a certain style. Wile E. Coyote just bought cheap explosives from ACME in an attempt to kill Road Runner. Never worked out for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

You were just off for some R&R recently though? Well for some!

Yes is the answer. I want to build a tiny house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

sharon stone influenced me

I'll tell you one thing, if I ever want to get away from it all and 'find' myself in the arsehole of nowhere filming a porcupine's arse, I won't be uploading it to the biggest video sharing platform on the planet. Pretentious bollocks.

The footage is from 1967 and the footage on Youtube is from the version released in 1993. Kudos on getting the comment in though. Top-class AH stuff.
    If he was "Alone in the Wilderness" then who the fcuk was doing the filming?

It's called a tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Keeping up with the kardashians. I feel like it's...made me articulate my expressions better and improved my feelings towards other people that do more good things than me, and like just a good person who cares about the environment and global farming. And also made me want to make my education more better to improve my future intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

He must be the Overlord of hipsters then considering its from the 60's and shot on film with a tripod.
    Thats the ultimate in doing it before it was cool ;)

edit: thanks OP watching it now, nice seeing something that was actually shot that way rather than the tonality being the result of some generic filter

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Defining moment really :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The footage in from 1967 and the footage on Youtube is from the version released in 1993. Kudos on getting the comment in though. Top-class AH stuff.

Well, unless it was filmed by the David Attenborough of Kodiak Bears who ate your man for lunch shortly afterwards it's still pretentious bollocks, no matter how old it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

The Brother has decided not to head along as he'd rather spend two weeks in Ibiza getting 'yoked up'. :confused:

Ever ask yourself why your brother would rather travel in the opposite direction to wherever YOU are going and self-medicate for a couple of weeks? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Keeping up with the kardashians. I feel like it's...made me articulate my expressions better and improved my feelings towards other people that do more good things than me, and like just a good person who cares about the environment and global farming. And also made me want to make my education more better to improve my future intelligence.

You have a well chiseled buttocks, I don't care what anyone says!

Well, unless it was filmed by a the David Attenborough of Kodiak Bears who ate your man for lunch shortly afterwards it's still pretentious bollocks, no matter how old it is.

Such a shame. It's a beautiful hour of television about a man who built a cabin and spent the next 30 years living there. It's actually a really lovely thing to watch.

Such a shame. It's a beautiful hour of television about a man who built a cabin and spent the next 30 years living there. It's actually a really lovely thing to watch.

could you loan me a fiver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Meh, Grizzly Adams is better. That's my retirement plan, with a bear for company and all, scare away pretentious twats who want to "find themselves" on corporate team building exercises :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Well, unless it was filmed by the David Attenborough of Kodiak Bears who ate your man for lunch shortly afterwards it's still pretentious bollocks, no matter how old it is.

I don't agree with Herr Bismarck very often but I watched that fascinating video some time ago and it's just about as far away from being pretentious as one could get.

I don't agree with Herr Bismarck very often but I watched that fascinating video some time ago and it's just about as far away from being pretentious as one could get.

:)

Let me assure you, Tom; it would be a grim day in the Soviet Union before I'd agree with you on most of the less important matters either.

Great doc though. As you say, it is so far from pretentious. It's a life-affirming piece of film. He spent 30 years living in that cabin.

Robsweezie wrote: »

no but, i totally get where your coming from, keep up the bpm

I watched "The Wire" and gave me the idea to transport the WMD's on the Shannon into Carrick on Shannon on cruisers.

You come at the dazzler, you best not miss. Holla.

I also down in Drumshanbo tech studying the ECDL to go legit with my business.

I watched "The Wire" and gave me the idea to transport the WMD's on the Shannon into Carrick on Shannon on cruisers.

You come at the dazzler, you best not miss. Holla.

that could be popular with the stag parties

that could be popular with the stag parties

Slinging buzzers all the way from Murtagh's to the swinging donkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was watched Rachel Allen baking a chocolate cake before and I baked the cake and ate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Hrm... Not to be That Poster (the hipster), but I can honestly think of numerous books that influencd d my life one way or another, but I can think of very few films or TV programs that did. I can think of ones I -enjoyed- definately, but influenced...? Maaaybe The West Wing for opening up other genres than fantasy and scifi. I know its hopelessly idealistic, but hell, so am I, so it was also a nice..."it's ok to be idealistic" boost amongst all the gritty cynicism that TV seems to enjoy ramming down watchers' throats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I was watched Rachel Allen baking a chocolate cake before and I baked the cake and ate it.

Reading your post has influenced my life. Well, influenced my Sunday and my belly. :)

Advertisement