Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running out of time and calendar space!

Options
  • 28-08-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭

The background is I've lost a fair bit of weight over the last 18 months or so (over 5 stone). I started walking, then a bit of cycling on top, then a bit of running and then trail running as I got fitter and lighter.

My plan for next year is a sprint triathlon, and continue the trail running (well progressing to mountain running and a few of the leagues), and a couple of sportives.

So I have a plan for over the winter - I've joined a gym, so am working on the swimming 3 mornings a week. My plan was strength training the other 2 mornings. Running twice a week, 5 a side once, and then a long cycle...

Typical week was planned to be (and this is taking into account family life commitments, so the only real scope is changes of activity rather than additional evenings or Sundays)...

Monday AM - Swim, Monday Evening - Run (rolling)
    Tuesday AM - Strength
    Wednesday AM - Swim, Wednesday Evening - Trail Run or Hill Intervals
    Thursday AM - Strength
    Friday AM - Swim, Friday Lunch - Five A Side or a flat Run.
    Saturday AM - Cycle.

tbh, the swim barely counts as exercise at the moment, I am that brutal (I am following a plan with drills for that though).

However, I am finding the trail running is tiring my quads far more than the flat stuff I was doing.

So do I include legs in my strength exercises, and concentrate on core and upper body stuff? I have a nagging doubt about over doing it on my legs. And really I want to make progress on the trail running, so don't want to sacrifice that element at the moment.

I had originally planned to follow this strength plan http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/mark-allen-s-12-best-strength-exercises

So do I skip the strength totally (I could probably do with extra swims!), skip the legs, concentrate on Core rather than anything else? I'm fairly sure I want to continue down the more endurance path... Any pointers appreciated as I am getting to the stage I can't see the wood for the trees!

Advertisement