Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ireland to re-brand as Virgin Media

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

steveon wrote: »
    There always was cable in some parts of Ennis but it was Analog when I stopped installing for them and it was very poor where it was available...was it updated to bring broadband along as well

I remember cable TV being in Marian Avenue for some reason. There were loads of small analog systems dotted around the country, most were eaten up by other companies, who in turn were eaten up by chorus/ntl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

steveon wrote: »
    I totally agree but I can assure you the same people have been involved in the rollout of cable in Limerick and surround areas since it was called horizon multichannel and all names since and are pure incompetent

Extremely sweeping statement, bordering on defamatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

mamax wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone wanting to cancel their mmds sub before they ditch you you will need to send an email to resolutionteam@virginmedia.ie and beg them to cancel your account.

I spent 20 mins just now being transferred all over the place before they told me that :mad:

Still not had a reply by either email or phone from them so I will not be paying my bill this month, let's see how fast they ring me then, and when they do I'll be referencing back to the email I sent to cancel my account.

No matter what they have ever called themselves, horizon, upc, virgin media or whatever their whole structure for dealing with customers has always been a complete and utter shambles.

For anyone else left on mmds keep an eye out for good deals from sky over the next month or so and ditch those incompetent twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I see Virgin Media are closing their MMDS network next April. Apparently the licenses expire then. Customers are being informed that their service is terminating, & that their to seek service elsewhere. This relates to services previously offered by UPC, Chorus NTL, Chorus, & originally Irish Multichannel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

larchill wrote: »
    I see Virgin Media are closing their MMDS network next April. Apparently the licenses expire then.

Comreg Decision was published back in early 2013. The MMDS transmitters appear to be switching off on a phased basis starting early/mid 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Comreg Decision was published back in early 2013. The MMDS transmitters appear to be switching off on a phased basis starting early/mid 2014.

Comreg decision to drop MMDS?

Elmo wrote: »
    Comreg decision to drop MMDS?

Comreg's decision to harmonise the band here with the 2008 EU Commission Decision, by withdrawing the MMDS licences, and to make more efficient use of the 190 MHz of available spectrum by opening it up to other users via auction. The band will be available on a service and technology neutral basis so any winning bidder can continue to offer TV services in the band but under different technical conditions to the previous MMDS service. The band will be auctioned in 5MHz blocks, MMDS uses 8MHz channels/blocks.

MMDS direct to home has about 25,000 customers plus whatever number of customers via MMDS fed cable systems, a max combined total of 250,000 at one time but much less now. So a very inefficient use of almost 200MHz of valuable spectrum.

So why wasn't the spectrum licenced for other uses before the switch off?

So why wasn't the spectrum licenced for other uses before the switch off?

I assume you're asking why it hasn't been auctioned prior to the vacating of MMDS? Wondered the same also.

My guess is would be to do with the number of spectrum bands that are becoming available for auction in the near future. Some of these only become available since WRC-15 concluded at the end of Nov.

So they have to decide whether there will be single or multi band auctions.

The following bands will be auctioned by Comreg in due course, the 2.6 GHz, 700 MHz, 1.4, 2.3 and 3.6 GHz bands.

See Comreg's recent Consultation on Radio Spectrum Management Strategy 2016 to 2018 http://www.comreg.ie/publications/consultation_on_radio_spectrum_management_strategy_2016_to_2018.583.105008.p.html#sthash.aWLhcfrr.dpuf

The Cush wrote: »
    I assume you're asking why it hasn't been auctioned prior to the vacating of MMDS? Wondered the same also.

My guess is would be to do with the number of spectrum bands that are becoming available for auction in the near future. Some of these only become available since WRC-15 concluded at the end of Nov.

So they have to decide whether there will be single or multi band auctions.

The following bands will be auctioned by Comreg in due course, the 2.6 GHz, 700 MHz, 1.4, 2.3 and 3.6 GHz bands.

See Comreg's recent Consultation on Radio Spectrum Management Strategy 2016 to 2018 http://www.comreg.ie/publications/consultation_on_radio_spectrum_management_strategy_2016_to_2018.583.105008.p.html#sthash.aWLhcfrr.dpuf

So clearly MMDS is a waste of spectrum but isn't the non-use of spectrum just a bad, when do you expect ComReg to advertise licence and when will the spectrum start being used again?

• Advertisement

Also did Virgin/UPC cable any new areas? Where there any swaps between cable and MMDS in the last 10 years?

when do you expect ComReg to advertise licence and when will the spectrum start being used again?

Looking like late 2016 at the earliest.
    Also did Virgin/UPC cable any new areas? Where there any swaps between cable and MMDS in the last 10 years?

I think they expanded into N. Co Dublin in early 2015, there was a thread about it in this forum IIRC. No doubt over the years areas have been converted to cable from MMDS considering its limitations but I wouldn't have any specific information.

Advertisement