Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Ireland has announced plans to rebrand as Virgin Media

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

bk wrote: »
    UPC Ireland is owned by Liberty Global International (LGI) for more then 10 years. About 2 years ago LGI bought Virgin Media UK.

This is just a rebrand, from a corporate point of view it is more UPC taking over Virgin then the other way around.

bk is spot on with regard to who owns who LINK:

Of course if you saw Richard Branson on the Late Late last night and listened to the brief reference to the so called UPC take over at the end of the interview and the giveaway of free mobiles, you could be forgiven for thinking it was the other way around.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So will there be a different Virgin box we can get? I got the Horizon box when it came out and sent it right back and got the old one back, Horizon is terrible! Is the UK Virgin box any good does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Zascar wrote: »
    So will there be a different Virgin box we can get? I got the Horizon box when it came out and sent it right back and got the old one back, Horizon is terrible! Is the UK Virgin box any good does anyone know?

No you won't be getting the UK box.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Zascar wrote: »

The Virgin box is a TiVo box and is thus excellent. TiVo make great software.

Unfrotunately from the article above they have said that they are sticking with the Horizon box in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I was looking over in the talk to UPC forum and seen that testarossa40 had posted a link which showed that UPC were the 9th least favourite company in Ireland, this was in May so I wonder if they have moved up the ranks now due to them moving there customer service to the Philippines and the amount of people giving out about the new customer service.
    So im not surprised that they are rebranding themselves as Virgin and trying to make it look like Virgin is taking them over.
    I was surprised that some people on this forum think that UPC have a good name in this country, anybody I have spoken to about UPC dont have a good opinion about them, most of the complaints I have seen has revolved around the horizon box, there terrible customer service and there billing department.

Here is the link:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/irelands-least-favourite-companies-revealed-2088804-May2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Automan wrote: »
    I was looking over in the talk to UPC forum and seen that testarossa40 had posted a link which showed that UPC were the 9th least favourite company in Ireland, this was in May so I wonder if they have moved up the ranks now due to them moving there customer service to the Philippines and the amount of people giving out about the new customer service.
    So im not surprised that they are rebranding themselves as Virgin and trying to make it look like Virgin is taking them over.
    I was surprised that some people on this forum think that UPC have a good name in this country, anybody I have spoken to about UPC dont have a good opinion about them, most of the complaints I have seen has revolved around the horizon box, there terrible customer service and there billing department.

Here is the link:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/irelands-least-favourite-companies-revealed-2088804-May2015/
    well I had UPC few years back thought there broadband for me was the best I've ever had don't know about there TV never got it off them.I had easiest time cancel my broadboad off them to just a easy email and it was done wish cancelling broadband was that easy with other ISP .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,091 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Here is the link:

This is part of a larger policy by Liberty Global. They're doing the same in other EU countries, where they've bought the likes of Ziggo, Telenet etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

complaints I have seen has revolved around the horizon box, there terrible customer service and there billing department.

Stay away from Horizon and it seems they're fine. I've had nothing but good experiences with them over the years, their service levels are excellent and the times I've had to ring support they've been great.

Their new site is active now. If you do go with their mobile offering you're also agreeing to a new 1 year contract with your bundle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You have to be careful about reading too much into peoples complaints on sites like the Talk To forums and this forum. Naturally most people only come to these sort of forums when they have a problem. You rarely here from the vast majority of customers who have no problems at all.

The forums I mod are equally full of complaints about Eircom, Sky, Vodafone, etc.

This forum is about broadband and hands down UPC has by far the best broadband service in Ireland *. No question about it at all, if you can get UPC broadband, then it is a complete no brainer. And that is clearly indicated in international speed test reports that show UPC's broadband network to be excellent, with average speeds as much as 3 times higher the next closest company.

* Obviously I'm not including the new FTTH services currently coming online that so far only a hand full of people actually have.

Their TV service I'd rate as ok. Not great, but definitely not as terrible as some people make out. I think it depends on if you used Sky in the past. Those who did, seem to not to like it so much. But I've a lot of family and friends in Dublin who have never had Sky (apartment dish rules, etc.) and they seem to really like UPC's TV service. Certainly it is a vast improvement over the state of the TV service 10 years ago.

Personally I find their Horizon Go iPad app to be really great, far better then the Sky Go app. So it definitely has it's pros and cons.

Their new site is now active:

https://www.virginmedia.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Here is the link:

I was reading with interest until I came across this nugget
    On the flipside, Google has been named as the most trusted company in Ireland,

nuff said!

^^

And Volkswagen as the 5th most trusted company!!! Haha laughable *

* See Diesel Gate over the last few weeks.

An Post at number 10 is also looking pretty ropey at the moment with the strike.

^^

And Volkswagen as the 5th most trusted company!!! Haha laughable *

* See Diesel Gate over the last few weeks.

An Post at number 10 is also looking pretty ropey at the moment with the strike.

Dont forget that this article was published in May.
    Most of the complaints I have heard are from people I know, ie family, friends, work colleagues and neighbours.
    With regards to UPC having such a great broadband, this is only true if you are tech savvy and capable of getting the full speed and buy your own router and are capable of bridging what ever piece of crap UPC router you have, otherwise any 30 Meg BB product is more than adequate for most people.

Spear wrote: »
    This is part of a larger policy by Liberty Global. They're doing the same in other EU countries, where they've bought the likes of Ziggo, Telenet etc.

You'd get confused with all the games going on between the big players. According to this Liberty Global sold UPC Norway to Candover Partners Limited back in 2006.

When did they acquire UPC Ireland?
    January 24, 2006: Liberty Global, Inc. (“Li
    berty Global”) (Nasdaq: LBTYA, LBTYB,
    LBTYK) today announced that it has completed the
    previously announced sale of 100% of its Norwegian
    cable business, UPC Norge AS (“UPC Norway”). UPC No
    rway was sold to Candover Partners Limited for
    approximately €448 million (US$542 million) after ad
    justments of which approximately €175 million
    (US$212 million) will be used to repay
    debt associated with this asset

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Well UPC is Liberty Global International, always has been!

LGI/UPC purchased Chorus about 12 years ago and NTL Ireland about 10 years ago.

LGI/UPC purchased Virgin Media about two years ago.

With regards to UPC having such a great broadband, this is only true if you are tech savvy and capable of getting the full speed and buy your own router and are capable of bridging what ever piece of crap UPC router you have, otherwise any 30 Meg BB product is more than adequate for most people.

I'm sorry but that is nonsense, all the international speed test ratings I've seen show UPC customers getting an average of triple the speed Eir customers get.

UPC have a new modem coming that will sort out all the wifi issues.

Don't kid yourself, the only reason Eircom started rolling out VDSL/FTTC is because UPC invested 500 million in the Irish broadband market and stole half of Eircoms customers.

We would be a good 5 years behind in terms of broadband if it wasn't for their fantastic investment that spurred on the entire market.

Any ideas as to when and what brand it will be?

Will we all have to call them and say our router died to avail of the new one?

I'm sorry but that is nonsense, all the international speed test ratings I've seen show UPC customers getting an average of triple the speed Eir customers get.

Don't kid yourself, the only reason Eircom started rolling out VDSL/FTTC is because UPC invested 500 million in the Irish broadband market and stole half of Eircoms customers.

We would be a good 5 years behind in terms of broadband if it wasn't for their fantastic investment that spurred on the entire market.

What part is nonsense? That most people only need 30Mbs? Most people who have UPC would be only getting about 30Mbs through WIFI, very few people would be wired direct to the routers and in order to achieve faster speeds through WIFI you would need your own router.
    I take it that most, if not all of the international speed test ratings were done over cable and not WIFI.
    With regards to the new modem, I wont hold my breath with regards to it working, just look at UPCs history when it comes to releasing hardware, Horizon box, Ubee EVW3226.
    Your dead right with regards to eircom, without UPC investment in broadband we would be in a bad place, pity UPC are so bad with regards to customer care and hardware.

Any ideas as to when and what brand it will be?

Will we all have to call them and say our router died to avail of the new one?

Thread about it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057497066

In testing at the moment, not generally available yet.
    What part is nonsense? That most people only need 30Mbs? Most people who have UPC would be only getting about 30Mbs through WIFI, very few people would be wired direct to the routers and in order to achieve faster speeds through WIFI you would need your own router.
    I take it that most, if not all of the international speed test ratings were done over cable and not WIFI.

Results from speedtest.net for example. Most people do that speed test over wifi, not knowing any better.

Also results from netflix.
    With regards to the new modem, I wont hold my breath with regards to it working, just look at UPCs history when it comes to releasing hardware, Horizon box, Ubee EVW3226.

It is a dual channel, dual radio, 802.11ac model, with bridging an easy to access option in the admin interface.

It also triples the number of DOCSIS channels, therefore it should allow speeds up to 1Gb/s.

In other words everything we have been asking for. Trust me, they have been listening to our complaints here on this forum and they know their CPE is their weak point and have been working on it.

Results from speedtest.net for example. Most people do that speed test over wifi, not knowing any better.

But seeing as most people would be using WIFI as most devices are on WIFI now a days and would not have an ethernet port ie mobile phones, tablets, some laptops etc surely this is more important then as its every day real world speeds, also im sure everyone else who is on eircom or magnet would also test using WIFI.

Also did you not say that "all the international speed test ratings I've seen show UPC customers getting an average of triple the speed Eir customers get."

So how did you go from there to "Results from speedtest.net for example. Most people do that speed test over wifi, not knowing any better."

When the point I was making was that most people are only using about 30Mbps so most people would not know the difference. So what relevance does speedtest have to do with the reply to what I was saying?
    Also results from netflix.

You mean were UPC is second? and they are a massive .25Mbps ahead of eircom.
    Again this shows real world speeds, ie most customers would be using WIFI.

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/ireland/
    It is a dual channel, dual radio, 802.11ac model, with bridging an easy to access option in the admin interface.

It also triples the number of DOCSIS channels, therefore it should allow speeds up to 1Gb/s.

In other words everything we have been asking for. Trust me, they have been listening to our complaints here on this forum and they know their CPE is their weak point and have been working on it.

You have a lot of trust for a company that has constantly let people down with regards to there hardware, I hope the new router is all it is suppose to be but personally I dont hold much hope.

• Advertisement

But seeing as most people would be using WIFI as most devices are on WIFI now a days and would not have an ethernet port ie mobile phones, tablets, some laptops etc surely this is more important then as its every day real world speeds, also im sure everyone else who is on eircom or magnet would also test using WIFI.

Then you'd need to test every single device available, in concrete houses, timber framed houses, big houses, little houses, empty rooms, rooms full of electronics, upstairs, downstairs etc. It's not feasible to give a standard over Wifi.

Ethernet is a constant.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Then you'd need to test every single device available, in concrete houses, timber framed houses, big houses, little houses, empty rooms, rooms full of electronics, upstairs, downstairs etc. It's not feasible to give a standard over Wifi.

Ethernet is a constant.

Not true, Ethernet can be effected by cable type, router, switches etc.
    So those people who never use an ethernet connection should not run a speedtest to see what real world speed they are getting, so how do you think people with tablets or phones should get there BB speed?
    I said that 30Mbps was more than enough for the vast majority of people due to most people using WIFI, most people dont use ethernet.
    But one of the biggest contributor by far with regards to WIFI is the hardware, so if you supply poor hardware well then your going to get poor results.
    Are you using the router given to you by UPC without being bridged? Or have you bridged in a better router in order to achieve better speeds and range?

If you say that you can't reliably measure by Ethernet either then I'm not sure what your point is with regards to measuring speeds?

I get 240+ via Ethernet on UPCs modem but I do use my own router anyway.

If you say that you can't reliably measure by Ethernet either then I'm not sure what your point is with regards to measuring speeds?

I get 240+ via Ethernet on UPCs modem but I do use my own router anyway.

I was talking about real world speeds not measuring speeds for the majority of people, not those who would be tech savvy enough to bridge a good router, with better WIFI speeds and range but what people would be achieving on the router supplied to them by UPC and over WIFI which the majority of people use.

But how do you measure real world speeds? What's my real world is another persons overkill, and so on.

Whereas everyone has an Ethernet connection coming into their house.

But how do you measure real world speeds? What's my real world is another persons overkill, and so on.

Whereas everyone has an Ethernet connection coming into their house.

Yes but would you not be within the minority, as you have bridged your router and have your PC/Laptop connected by ethernet connection?
    Wouldn't most people use WIFI only, therefore they would be in the majority?
    I had suggested at the start of this thread that most UPC customers would only ever see about 30Mbps due to most of them being on WIFI.
    And if they wanted better they would have to bridge the router or use ethernet, which most devices would not have.

I actually don't connect my laptops via Ethernet, the only things hooked up directly are Sky, a TV, a media server and home plugs. Everything else is wireless so I don't expect speeds near what I could potentially have.

I understand the broad point you're trying to make, but I don't think it's feasible given the variables. A provider advertises what it can deliver to your house, after that it's up to you how you're going to utilise that potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,497 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You'd get confused with all the games going on between the big players. According to this Liberty Global sold UPC Norway to Candover Partners Limited back in 2006.

UPC Broadband Ireland Ltd (UPC Ireland) came into begin in Dec 2005 following a company name change from Princes Holdings Ltd (Chorus Communications) and the acquisition of ntl.

In early 2004, Princes Holdings, were a joint venture of Independent News & Media and the then Liberty Media International. The company filed for examinership with debts of about €500m. In Mar 2004, Liberty Media acquired the remaining half of Princes Holdings Limited from Independent Newspapers.

In December 2004, UnitedGlobalCom (United Pan-Europe Communications N.V. (UPC)/UGC Europe) acquired Princes Holdings/Chorus Communications for approx. €120 million from its majority shareholder Liberty Media International. UPC was a trading name for many UnitedGlobalCom companies.

In Jun 2005 Liberty Media International and UnitedGlobalCom merged to form Liberty Global which included the various UPC companies.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1316631/000104746906004371/a2169004zex-99_1.htm#toc_bo1466_1

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes but would you not be within the minority, as you have bridged your router and have your PC/Laptop connected by ethernet connection?
    Wouldn't most people use WIFI only, therefore they would be in the majority?
    I had suggested at the start of this thread that most UPC customers would only ever see about 30Mbps due to most of them being on WIFI.
    And if they wanted better they would have to bridge the router or use ethernet, which most devices would not have.

SGS3 onwards support 5Ghz. Majority of handsets sold in the last two years support .11AC. When the new CPE rolls out in the next couple months average wifi speeds will be well in excess of 100Mb.

• Advertisement

I actually don't connect my laptops via Ethernet, the only things hooked up directly are Sky, a TV, a media server and home plugs. Everything else is wireless so I don't expect speeds near what I could potentially have.

Nor did I state that people should expect speeds near the advertised speeds again im stating that most people would not see speeds above 30Mbps.
    So basically everything in your house is connected by ethernet except your laptops which are connected to WIFI through a router you bought because UPC router was not good enough, is this correct? Did you also contact UPC and asked to be removed from IPV6?
    So you had to buy your own router, then you had to bridge that router, then you probably contacted UPC and asked them to take you off IPV6. Do you think every customer should have to do this or should the UPC hardware be up to the task in the first place.

I understand the broad point you're trying to make, but I don't think it's feasible given the variables. A provider advertises what it can deliver to your house, after that it's up to you how you're going to utilise that potential.

Again the point im making is that most people on UPC will not see speeds in excess of 30Mbps, mostly due to UPC hardware ie the Ubee EVW3226 which limits 100T devices to 30Mbps, and the poor WIFI on all of there devices im not talking about 240Mbps advertised.

Advertisement