Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World 7 s Rugby Last Week

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think it was ruled out, just other options were decided more appropriate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Rugby_World_Cup#Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Meanwhile back on topic .....

If your hosting an event and want a big limerick crowd at it over the summer then you'd be better off hosting it in any of the costal towns from Fanore to Castlegregory.

I don't know of any other big town or city in Ireland where the populace moves on mass to the coast for the summer .... our version of the Hamptons if you like :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Meanwhile back on topic .....

If your hosting an event and want a big limerick crowd at it over the summer then you'd be better off hosting it in any of the costal towns from Fanore to Castlegregory.

I don't know of any other big town or city in Ireland where the populace moves on mass to the coast for the summer .... our version of the Hamptons if you like :-)

Bang on. For as long as I can remember, Limerick is a ghost town in August. This even twould be better suported if it played out on the beaches of Kilkee and Lahinch & BallyB.

There's the nugget of an idea there for someone to run with.

The Atlantic Way Sevens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I don't see too much criticism being directed at Limerick Marketing Company here. Weren't they the ones behind the event? They're the marketing arm of the Council so it's a huge amount of public money they've thrown down the drain. The whole operation of Limerick Marketing Company needs to be looked at. It seems to have been staffed with people from the defunct Shannon Development, and I'm not sure what marketing expertise they have. They do have a big budget though and seem to be very willing to throw it at things without due diligence. If we had any kind of decent elected representatives they'd be screaming blue murder over Limerick Marketing Company, but we don't so this kind of crap continues.

If the Limerick Leader report can be taken at face value and The Limerick Marketing Company blew half their own annual budget on this then I'd be expecting as much of the other half as is possible to be frozen to be put on ice; and fast.

Planning a rugby event in August in Limerick, is assinine. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at it; the bodies aren't here. Eoghan Prendergast is a rughby head - and what disturbs me is that he'd know full well that it's assinine. So unless you somehow hope to garner a TV deal for the event in which case warm bodies in attendance are a nice bonus to have but are not your primary revenue-driver; then come up with something else to spend your money on and if you can't then keep it in your pocket.

Ooops, but if you do that then people might call into question your value in the process and we can't be having that now, can we?

Ah but it's an 'investment'. The plebs just can't grasp the need to sow the seeds in order to reap the harvest. The fools. The poor fools. Small-minded idiots. They're creating a 'legacy' event.

That's what the Japanese Navy did at Pearl Harbour. That worked out well in the end - and it had a hell of a better start than this one has had.

Strikes me as a lazy, half-a**ed attempt to emulate the success enjoyed by The Pig 'n' Porter; which has managed to capture the imaginationand has carved out a cracking niche for itself in the Summer calendar. The critical differnece is that this even taps into participation in the event rather than spectating at an event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Reminds me of the Riverfest fiasco this year. Another great triumph by Limerick Marketing Company!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MrLaurel

zulutango wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Riverfest fiasco this year. Another great triumph by Limerick Marketing Company!!

Riverfest! Lets cook burgers and hot dogs in a back street 400 yards from the River Shannon and call it a Festival!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Redderneck wrote: »
    Bang on. For as long as I can remember, Limerick is a ghost town in August. This even twould be better suported if it played out on the beaches of Kilkee and Lahinch & BallyB.

There's the nugget of an idea there for someone to run with.

The Atlantic Way Sevens.

Why not have it from Ennis back to the coast, so you could have Ennis, Fanore, Lahinch, and Kilkee. Say, have a few venues between those places.
    You'd get a good Limerick crowd anyways who'd be on holidays, as well as a local crowd too. You'd also get some of the Dubs who are back west on holidays.
    Tourists would then get to be in easier access to places like the Cliffs of Moher, and the Burren. (even though Limk isn't really that far)

Clareman wrote: »
    It couldn't really be taken more seriously considering it's an Olympic Medal Event

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_sevens_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Yeah, like olympic golf! Who'd take that seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Looking back on last year's 7s event, there was a much better event and a brilliant athmosphere

This year, they set themselves up to fail from word go by having the first day on Friday when most of the people who'd go are at work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

ah would ye go way!

I'm in bloody Canada and I knew it was on!

It's a problem in Limerick and has always been there, people just couldn't be arsed. If it was free then maybe.

As long as I have remembered, people in Limerick will say "Oh it costs too much" if it's 20/30 quid to go to something but have no bother spending 100+ in D'Icon.

And as for having people who dress up and have a laugh, why don't ye do it?

I'd loved to have went but unfortunately I'm not there.

Well looks like Eoghan Prendergast has been shuffled out of that role and into one administering the Housing Assistance Payments scheme for the council.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/reshuffle-of-senior-management-at-limerick-council-1-6951737

Shuffle away lads. No skidmarks around here. No. No siree.

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    ah would ye go way!

I'd loved to have went but unfortunately I'm not there.

Pure Limerick!

Advertisement