Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2015 was dreadful on RTE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Every RTE radio mast in the country could fall down, and unless some body told be about it, I might never know.

If RTE can't seem to do an hour of Irish Language Content for less than €7.75 million, maybe it's time for this money pit to be shut down..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

qweerty wrote: »
    Apols, icdg, this will be my last off-topic post!

There's this myth that TG4 is super cheap.

Yet, in 2012, it received a state subvention of ~€22m and a License Fee contribution of €9.2m. There exists a legacy arrangement from when TG4 was set up: RTE provides one hour of Irish-language content per day. This cost RTE €7.75m in 2012. It also receives effective subsidies in the form of BAI funding: around €10m in 2012.

All that despite a ~2% audience share.

Figures are 2012 because that's when I looked through the accounts. I presume nothing has changed substantially.

No TV channel is super cheap but TG4 do seem to do a lot more with less than RTÉ2's budget than RTÉ2.

21,000 per hour of TV from RTÉ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Elmo wrote: »
    No TV channel is super cheap but TG4 do seem to do a lot more with less than RTÉ2's budget than RTÉ2.

21,000 per hour of TV from RTÉ

A lot of unremarkable stuff on TG4, though - cartoons, Westerns, decades-old Hollywood films. I'm not quite sure what RTE2 sees as its role, but I don't think the comparison is fair: it's trying to provide popular entertainment, for a younger audience, in contrast with the more serious RTE1. And that sort of content is expensive.

A lot of unremarkable stuff on TG4, though - cartoons, Westerns, decades-old Hollywood films. I'm not quite sure what RTE2 sees as its role, but I don't think the comparison is fair: it's trying to provide popular entertainment, for a younger audience, in contrast with the more serious RTE1. And that sort of content is expensive.

I am not comparing RTÉ 2 to RTÉ 1.

Western and classic movies provide a much needed content that would otherwise not get shown on other mainstream TV stations, TG4 picked up many HBO programmes as neither TV3 or RTÉ had any interest in them, Oz, The Wire and Breaking Bad all shown on TG4. They moved to Scandi dramas and some BBC dramas last year.

They provide a wide range of programming from Youth Strands to Sport. What other TV channel in Ireland claims to provide a wide range of programming from Youth Strands to Sport as part of their Public Service Remit? RTÉ2 a channel that spends 10times more on sport and 3times more on imports and final outside of these types of programmes has pretty much the same budget as TG4 yet still seems to be only able to pull of half of what TG4 does for its audience.

If RTÉ2 wanted it could provide better quality Drama, Documentries at lower costs, but wait until they announce Bounce in October!

Lot of unremarkable stuff on RTÉ2 like daily repeats of Friends and The Simpsons.

Also RTÉ2 has as much opportunity to get Sound and Vision and NILF Funding, neither are a guaranteed income for any broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

I am not comparing RTÉ 2 to RTÉ 1.

Western and classic movies provide a much needed content that would otherwise not get shown on other mainstream TV stations, TG4 picked up many HBO programmes as neither TV3 or RTÉ had any interest in them, Oz, The Wire and Breaking Bad all shown on TG4. They moved to Scandi dramas and some BBC dramas last year.

They provide a wide range of programming from Youth Strands to Sport. What other TV channel in Ireland claims to provide a wide range of programming from Youth Strands to Sport as part of their Public Service Remit? RTÉ2 a channel that spends 10times more on sport and 3times more on imports and final outside of these types of programmes has pretty much the same budget as TG4 yet still seems to be only able to pull of half of what TG4 does for its audience.

If RTÉ2 wanted it could provide better quality Drama, Documentries at lower costs, but wait until they announce Bounce in October!

Lot of unremarkable stuff on RTÉ2 like daily repeats of Friends and The Simpsons.

Also RTÉ2 has as much opportunity to get Sound and Vision and NILF Funding, neither are a guaranteed income for any broadcaster.

In order:

I know you weren't. Was just noting that RTE2 has a narrower role than TG4.

I don't agree that Westerns are much needed. And many (/most) of the films are not classics. Certainly, TG4 has done remarkably well in terms of the quality of some US series it's commissioned. I don't know if it's as simple as that RTE weren't interested. (Might it have been cheaper for TG4 considering it's Irish-language?)

I'm no expert on TG4's output, but does it offer much more in terms of "youth strands" than basic Irish-language cartoons?

Equating spend on sports isn't valid. Six Nations, Champions League, World Cup, Euros, Olympics...are all more popular and expensive than what TG4 offers - Gaelic, European Rugby, Tour de France, Wimbledon. (Am I missing any?)

We have to return to the fact that TG4 has a <2% share. RTE2 maybe only "pulling off half of what TG4 does," but the audience seems more interested in it.

You've missed my point about BAI funding. Ofc the others are as entitled to bid for it, but it's relevant because it's a non-commercial income stream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

TG4 are terrible for repeating youth shows to death. Afriic was made about 10 years ago and is still being repeated, A music problem called is mo lom pop which consists of 12 episode is repeated on a loop daily at 6.30

In order:
    I know you weren't. Was just noting that RTE2 has a narrower role than TG4.

RTÉ2 has a narrower role than an minority language channel? RTÉ2 and TG4 schedules are not much different. Break it down:
    TRTÉ->RTÉjr->TRTÉ->TwoTube->RTÉ2
    cula4nanog->TG4->cula4->Ponc->TG4
    I don't agree that Westerns are much needed. And many (/most) of the films are not classics. Certainly, TG4 has done remarkably well in terms of the quality of some US series it's commissioned. I don't know if it's as simple as that RTE weren't interested. (Might it have been cheaper for TG4 considering it's Irish-language?)

Western are a key part of early cinema and the golden era of Hollywood. Hugely popular and a significant part of cinematic history. But then TG4 don't just show westerns, they happen to have 2 strands one on a Friday and the other early Saturdays. The also provide foreign film (unfortunately late nights) but then this is similar to RTÉ2 and mainstream film on Monday nights.

TG4 pay the same amount as other broadcasters for content, possibly cheaper when other broadcasters ignore those same programmes. No adult import is broadcast as geailge and few of the children's live action programmes are dubbed either.
    I'm no expert on TG4's output, but does it offer much more in terms of "youth strands" than basic Irish-language cartoons?

TG4 also provide some funding to the animation sector, but like RTÉ they could not fill a full schedule with just home produced programming. As I say it provides 3 youth strands Cula4 (TRTÉ), Cula4naNóg (RTÉjr) and Ponc (TwoTube).
    Equating spend on sports isn't valid. Six Nations, Champions League, World Cup, Euros, Olympics...are all more popular and expensive than what TG4 offers - Gaelic, European Rugby, Tour de France, Wimbledon. (Am I missing any?)

Your right but as a public service broadcaster RTÉ show little regard for those smaller sports. My point was when you remove sporting rights/coverage costs and imports and Children's TG4 and RTÉ2 have similar budgets.
    We have to return to the fact that TG4 has a <2% share. RTE2 maybe only "pulling off half of what TG4 does," but the audience seems more interested in it.

TG4 is an Irish language service and is one channel competing in an English language market, image if RTÉ2 started broadcasting a similar home produced (in English) schedule to that of TG4? IMO their audience share would improve, remember RTÉ2's share is largely down to sports, without it it is slow dropping to below 5%.
    You've missed my point about BAI funding. Ofc the others are as entitled to bid for it, but it's relevant because it's a non-commercial income stream.

Yes it is but competitively sought, TV3 got a huge amount when it lost the ITV soaps, while the BAI told DCTV that it shouldn't base its financing on BAI funding!
    TG4 are terrible for repeating youth shows to death. Afriic was made about 10 years ago and is still being repeated, A music problem called is mo lom pop which consists of 12 episode is repeated on a loop daily at 6.30

As are RTÉ. Tell me the name of that youth drama RTÉ produced for TRTÉ in the last 10 years? The only one I can think of is Custer's Last Stand (nearly 20 years ago) and it was part funded by BBC NI and broadcast on ... RTÉ ONE.

I am not suggesting that TG4 are perfect but they seem to be able to produce a serialized drama every year, your lucky to get a Republic of Telly comedy spin off on RTÉ2. Though repeats of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Friends, Home and Away and The Simpsons will do just fine. When was the last time they repeat Love is the Drug?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭political analyst

RTÉ2 has a narrower role than an minority language channel? RTÉ2 and TG4 schedules are not much different. Break it down:
    TRTÉ->RTÉjr->TRTÉ->TwoTube->RTÉ2
    cula4nanog->TG4->cula4->Ponc->TG4

Western are a key part of early cinema and the golden era of Hollywood. Hugely popular and a significant part of cinematic history. But then TG4 don't just show westerns, they happen to have 2 strands one on a Friday and the other early Saturdays. The also provide foreign film (unfortunately late nights) but then this is similar to RTÉ2 and mainstream film on Monday nights.

TG4 pay the same amount as other broadcasters for content, possibly cheaper when other broadcasters ignore those same programmes. No adult import is broadcast as geailge and few of the children's live action programmes are dubbed either.

TG4 also provide some funding to the animation sector, but like RTÉ they could not fill a full schedule with just home produced programming. As I say it provides 3 youth strands Cula4 (TRTÉ), Cula4naNóg (RTÉjr) and Ponc (TwoTube).

Your right but as a public service broadcaster RTÉ show little regard for those smaller sports. My point was when you remove sporting rights/coverage costs and imports and Children's TG4 and RTÉ2 have similar budgets.

TG4 is an Irish language service and is one channel competing in an English language market, image if RTÉ2 started broadcasting a similar home produced (in English) schedule to that of TG4? IMO their audience share would improve, remember RTÉ2's share is largely down to sports, without it it is slow dropping to below 5%.

Yes it is but competitively sought, TV3 got a huge amount when it lost the ITV soaps, while the BAI told DCTV that it shouldn't base its financing on BAI funding!

As are RTÉ. Tell me the name of that youth drama RTÉ produced for TRTÉ in the last 10 years? The only one I can think of is Custer's Last Stand (nearly 20 years ago) and it was part funded by BBC NI and broadcast on ... RTÉ ONE.

I am not suggesting that TG4 are perfect but they seem to be able to produce a serialized drama every year, your lucky to get a Republic of Telly comedy spin off on RTÉ2. Though repeats of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Friends, Home and Away and The Simpsons will do just fine. When was the last time they repeat Love is the Drug?
    You forgot "-up" in the title of that programme, the title of which I've highlighted in bold.

You forgot "-up" in the title of that programme, the title of which I've highlighted in bold.

I'd like to forget the programme :)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Though repeats of Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Friends, Home and Away and The Simpsons will do just fine.

Sabrina must be on loop over the past 20 years now. Their summer replacements of the Jr shows was showing kids films from the 60s and 70s. The cost in them must be very low.
    I'd like to see how their ratings do up against the likes of Nick, CBBC etc.

They should try to experiment with the schedule (I understand though that they have to keep to a certain schedule for the kids)
    maybe
    9 RTE Jr
    1 Friends
    1:30 Home & Away
    2 Neighbours
    2.30 Teens TV (Victorious, News2Day etc..)
    5:00 The Simpsons
    5:30 Big Bang Theory
    6:00 Neighbours
    6:30 Home&Away

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Sabrina must be on loop over the past 20 years now. Their summer replacements of the Jr shows was showing kids films from the 60s and 70s. The cost in them must be very low.
    I'd like to see how their ratings do up against the likes of Nick, CBBC etc.

They should try to experiment with the schedule (I understand though that they have to keep to a certain schedule for the kids)
    maybe
    9 RTE Jr
    1 Friends
    1:30 Home & Away
    2 Neighbours
    2.30 Teens TV (Victorious, News2Day etc..)
    5:00 The Simpsons
    5:30 Big Bang Theory
    6:00 Neighbours
    6:30 Home&Away

They did want to but Honestly they should try for

7am - 10am TRTÉ
    10am - 3pm Documentaries (Natural History, Social, Wildlife, History, Science)
    3pm - 6pm TRTÉ
    6pm RTÉ2

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    7am - 10am TRTÉ 10am - 3pm Documentaries (Natural History, Social, Wildlife, History, Science) 3pm - 6pm TRTÉ 6pm RTÉ2

They could do an hour during daytime for sign language programmes which are shown through the night on RTE 1. this would tick their public service output and tv3 wouldn't have a foot to stand on . I would agree with your suggestions above and to be real good stick an hour a day of rtejr homemade programmes between 6am and 7am when junior channel is off air

The weird thing is they have actually INCREASED RTE Junior hours on RTE 2 this autumn with an extra 90 minutes from 7/8.30 in the morning instead of TRTE which was running at that time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Gave up on terrestrial tv and got rid of UPC years ago. Very little creativity, endless versions of franchised formats and perhaps worst of all, the insane salaries paid to really mediocre 'talent.' To think we're subsidising these salaries and also having to sit through hours of ads to boot.

Why would anyone would want to watch Winning Streak or Ryan Tubridy/Ray Darcy when there's far better commercial free content on netflix or BBC iPlayer?

The weird thing is they have actually INCREASED RTE Junior hours on RTE 2 this autumn with an extra 90 minutes from 7/8.30 in the morning instead of TRTE which was running at that time last year.

No their was junior programmes on before TRTE last year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Just looking at the programmes this morning, it seems like it's 7-8.10am Jnr, 8:10-8:45 TRTE, 8:45-14:35 Jnr

brick man wrote: »
    No their was junior programmes on before TRTE last year as well

Last years schedule was roughly 6am RTE Junior, 7am TRTE 9am RTE Junior 2pm TRTE, This year it's 6.45am RTE Junior 8.10am TRTE, 9am.RTE Junior 2.40pm TRTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

It it just me or was this RTE Televisions worst summer in years ? Endless repeats and not one current affairs program on in weeks. At least last year they had callans kicks on Friday night's at 9.30 what happened to that ?

There is no effort at all made on Irish TV in the summer most of the time I have noticed. There was a lot of filler like this repeat of parts of last season's Tubridy show and other such things. In the daytime, it is all repeats of cookery programmes and house/garden makeover programmes from 3-5 years ago.

I do not miss most of RTE's current affairs programmes to be honest. For too long, there were too many of them with poor fare like The Frontline and The Week in Politics. I am all for current affairs when intelligent and interesting world issues are discussed but most often on RTE, it is heated debate on some bland issues like the overcooked banking and Irish Water issues.

Addressing some of the comments: I agree that T na G is underwhelming. It seems to be the place where bad Irish country music, decades old Westerns (admittedly, some of them are very good but they keep showing the same 20 or so over and over!) and equally old cartoon are used to fill in.

Franchised formats are the easy way out. Irish versions of UK programmes like Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Dragon's Den, and The Voice all proved to be failures. The latter 2 in particular have certainly run their course. The garden makeover and so on programmes are also borrowed heavily from the UK.

The same old faces in the worlds of entertainment, sport and media are forced on us again and again. Without mentioning names, we all know who they are. They are on every chatshow, they get to do loads of their own shows and they are on all the papers as well. It does seem like the media in Ireland is about promoting the careers of certain individuals rather than providing entertainment.

Last years schedule was roughly 6am RTE Junior, 7am TRTE 9am RTE Junior 2pm TRTE, This year it's 6.45am RTE Junior 8.10am TRTE, 9am.RTE Junior 2.40pm TRTE

No it wasn't RTEjr was on from about 6.25 am to 7.30am then TRTE and back to junior at 8.35am till 2.00pm this year junior from 6.45 till 7.55 then TRTE back to junior at 9am till 2.10pm when Shaun the sheep starts TRTE .

Advertisement