Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGM nominees

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

MCU membership stuff split to here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Statements from Shane Sheedy and Rory Delaney on the campaign site. A fantastically experienced chess administrator, and the treasurer of an investment fund.

Gerry Graham has also written an election statement. Gerry brings his expertise organising the best-run tournaments in the country as well as his previous experience in serving on the ICU Executive in several different roles. Most recently he was re-affirmed by the Munster Chess Union to be Munster's representative on the committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

RoundTower wrote: »
    Most recently he was re-affirmed as the MCU members' overwhelming choice to represent Munster on the committee.

This is untrue he was not the MCU members' choice (overwhelming or not) - the MCU rep is not a position to be voted on. The MCU rep is chosen by the MCU committee - as the MCU rep's purpose is to report to the MCU and express MCU's views on the ICU committee.

He could however be the MCU committee's overwhelming choice (and I think he would be) but only someone on the MCU executive committee could say that.

thanks, I've edited the post to clarify that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Mustafa Chess

RoundTower wrote: »
    Gerry Graham has also written an election statement. Gerry brings his expertise organising the best-run tournaments in the country as well as his previous experience in serving on the ICU Executive in several different roles. Most recently he was re-affirmed by the Munster Chess Union to be Munster's representative on the committee.

Fairy tales are always amusing to read. One could write a book or two laying bare the baloney, bluster on offer here but the omissions alone are telling enough.

He is not a member of the executive anymore. The ICU have no confidence in this person to be on the committee. if the MCU would have wanted their delegate to be a member of the committee then they could and should have respected the ICU and appointed a new delegate. It is their right alone to appoint whomever they wish, AS IT IS THE RIGHT OF THE ICU EXECUTIVE TO REJECT SUCH A DELEGATE. Instead it has all gone along such predictable lines in which the appearance that Munster chess is a fiefdom of Gerry Graham and the MCU sub servant to his wishes has considerable validity.

People act like his minions and stooges but they are dragging down chess in Munster and doing great damage to the best interests of ICU members in Munster.

Likewise, the group attempt to grab power and positions in the ICU executive not for the benefit of the organization or it's members is pretty clear for those who wish to see things as they really are, and the dangers this presents are grave.

Put simply, if people like what they see in here then they can figure out how things would be done under a regime that doubtless will conduct it's affairs in the same or similar fashion as is done here. If people are happy with that then they should indeed vote for this so called "ticket" and not complain later when things go backwards and belly up and we will then see who is accountable.

Amazing how the amount of ignorance and misinformation gets recycled here.

General theme seems to be that that people who don't know much of anything about all a manner of things keep spouting nonsense and actually think that anybody in any position of responsibility or authority would take their cue from anything wrote here by anybody.

In reality people are so badly informed and manipulated that it is more akin to a comedy and circus. Mob rule and mob mentality will not be allowed to prevail regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Pete Morriss

AS IT IS THE RIGHT OF THE ICU EXECUTIVE TO REJECT SUCH A DELEGATE.

Mustafa Chess should try reading the ICU Constitution: there is no such right.

I have read both the ICU Chairperson's letter to the MCU (which has been widely leaked by a supporter of the current Executive) and Gerry Graham's response, and it is clear that what were involved here were, at most, the sort of minor misunderstandings that often occur on any committee and which could easily have been resolved quietly by the ICU Chairperson if he had been minded to do so. He was not so minded, but preferred to find an excuse to create a confrontation with the Munster delegate and the Munster Chess Union in general. The hatred displayed in Mustafa Chess's post here indicates the mood that has been dominant on the Executive this year; the members have a chance at the AGM next month to ensure that this mood of hatred and confrontation continues no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

People act like his minions and stooges but they are dragging down chess in Munster and doing great damage to the best interests of ICU members in Munster.

As an ICU member in Munster I feel that chess in Munster is heading in absolutely the right direction, thriving even, and anyone I spoke to in Ennis this past weekend was of the same opinion. And that is despite the best attempts of the current ICU executive to obstruct and interfere in the running of many local tournaments.

He is not a member of the executive anymore. The ICU have no confidence in this person to be on the committee. if the MCU would have wanted their delegate to be a member of the committee then they could and should have respected the ICU and appointed a new delegate. It is their right alone to appoint whomever they wish, AS IT IS THE RIGHT OF THE ICU EXECUTIVE TO REJECT SUCH A DELEGATE.

Funny, I don't see that in the constitution that the executive can reject a delegate.
    These bodies are affiilated to the Union and have a right of representation on its Executive

Whether or not the ICU approved of Gerry as the MCU rep, the MCU rep was removed without notice which means the MCU did not have representation on the executive. THAT is the an insult to every provincial union in the country and to the ICU constitution.
    Instead it has all gone along such predictable lines in which the appearance that Munster chess is a fiefdom of Gerry Graham and the MCU sub servant to his wishes has considerable validity.

The MCU members voted unanimously in favour to demand an apology from the ICU over this matter. That is the current best interests of ICU members in Munster. They also voted that the MCU exec could choose their rep. The ICU members in Munster did NOT vote that their rep had to be approved by the ICU executive.
    Likewise, the group attempt to grab power and positions in the ICU executive not for the benefit of the organization or it's members is pretty clear for those who wish to see things as they really are, and the dangers this presents are grave.

What dangers would that be? Can you provide proof? How does an election hinder the ICU? How are the dangers "grave"?
    Put simply, if people like what they see in here then they can figure out how things would be done under a regime that doubtless will conduct it's affairs in the same or similar fashion as is done here. If people are happy with that then they should indeed vote for this so called "ticket" and not complain later when things go backwards and belly up and we will then see who is accountable.

Imagine, conduct under clear rules and an unbiased reporting facility. That would be a very impressive feature of an ICU executive.

Or we can have poorly done accounts, missing officer reports, life memberships revoked and provincial unions without representation. Oh but they do prize draws - though we never found out who won the last thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SlowCoach

Hi, that was my fault I should have posted the result.
    The copy of Chessbase was won by Des Martin of Naomh Barrog chess club. The draw was conducted during the AGM of Elm Mount chess club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 NubieOne

Someone told me that Mustafa Chess, who posted earlier on this thread, is actually a current member of the ICU executive. I'm not trying to identify the individual here, but verify that this is true. Does anyone know if it is?

I have to say, as a recently interested party in the election rather than the game itself, if this is true, his post reflects very badly on the current executive's knowledge of their own constitution. I've just read the document and as Reunion and others have said, it does not grant the executive the right to "veto" a province's choice of delegate. For a sitting member of the executive publish this (in capitals, no less) is staggeringly poor politics.

My only other comment is that Mustafa Chess seems to be a little over fond of adjectives for my liking !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

NubieOne wrote: »
    Someone told me that Mustafa Chess, who posted earlier on this thread, is actually a current member of the ICU executive. I'm not trying to identify the individual here, but verify that this is true. Does anyone know if it is?
    CMod Note: Please note the Terms of Use of boards.ie:
    You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:
    • identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭rob51

Ahh a breath of fresh air to clear away the cobwebs! Crisp analytical fact based logic not the opinion laden drivel posted by most members on this board. Yes indeed Mustafa is back and that must have been a weight off his mind,
    Fairy tales are always amusing to read. One could write a book or two laying bare the baloney, bluster on offer here but the omissions alone are telling enough.

In reality people are so badly informed and manipulated that it is more akin to a comedy and circus. Mob rule and mob mentality will not be allowed to prevail regardless.

Could you just clear up one thing for me please? Is this hijack attempt in any way connected to the forthcoming ICU elections where, appallingly, minions and serfs (provided they are ICU members) can nominate and vote for candidates of their choice for next years Executive? I know this can be a very scary experience for the current officers but at least its only one day per year.

Mob rule? Yes indeed, the only difference between mob rule and democracy is that in the latter case the mob follows the rules and uses biros. Inexplicably, in both cases the majority are apparently allowed to have their way.

Strange happenings indeed. Perhaps having the AGM in October so close to Halloween is the problem ..... :eek:

Alex Baburin has written about why he is standing for Vice Chairman.

Carl Jackson has added a piece about how he would dare to improve the role of ICU Public Relations Officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Have you a candidate for Secretary lined up yet?

Have you a candidate for Secretary lined up yet?

They had, but the ICU rejected their candidate. Maybe he might be willing to stand at the AGM?

Advertisement