Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi laptop €229

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

That's great that it has Windows 10 installed for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

2 GB memory will really struggle with Win10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

banchang wrote: »
    2 GB memory will really struggle with Win10

No it won't. I have Windows tablets with 1GB RAM and it runs just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Id be more concerned with the 32gb of storage...
    Doesnt mention any sd slot or similar either, so extra storage would have to be usb, and it makes no mention if its usb 2 or 3.
    Basically seems like a windows 10 chromebook.
    If you plan on just social media and browsing, be grand but dont count on gaming or anything much more intensive then a word document.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

3 year warranty - I like !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭biebiebie

From reading elsewhere, it's my understanding that it does indeed have an SD slot.

Check first though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Better specs given on the medion site.
    It does indeed have a micro sd slot and the USB are both usb 2.0

http://aldi.medion.com/md99599/uk/?refPage=medion

(Click on more info in the configuration section.) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Techmaster wrote: »
    No it won't. I have Windows tablets with 1GB RAM and it runs just fine.

Flash (if you can use on a tablet) & Win Update are huge memory hoggers. More RAM will enable you to run these & other tasks without any diminution of performance.

Whether 2 GB is enough depends on what applications run and your expectations. This will be particularly noticeable when running multiple or demanding applications. 2 GB is fine for basic tasks, but if you want to do a lot more, better not have many (any) other tasks open.

At the end of the day, it depends on expectations, anticipated usage, & budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

Not exactly a bargain at 229

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Yeah?

Would you mind supplying a link to a better spec'd Windows 10 laptop.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

quarryman wrote: »
    Yeah?

Would you mind supplying a link to a better spec'd Windows 10 laptop.

Thanks.

That is a quest in futility. This isn't really a laptop. Its a netbook. Like them eeepc's from 7 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

dont get too caught up with win 10 folks. always nice to have a better specced device than the latest os on the block. nothing worse than an incapable device lagging and jittering but as others have said, all depends on usage and budget

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

phill106 wrote: »

AMD A4 Temash A4-1200 dual core processor.
    1GHz processor speed

You be better with a 2nd hand i3/i5 from adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

phill106 wrote: »

I have something similar to this - Toshiba. Very handy for travelling, but can be a bit slow. I paid much the same, and reckon it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

Not a bargain, it's a rip off!

This one from Asus is almost identical on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-X205TA-11-6-Inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B00R6BRR2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440716686&sr=8-1&keywords=x205ta

It only has a 768p screen instead of the 1080p from Medion. Also, comes with Win 8.1 so you'd need to update it yourself to Win 10, if you wanted that.

It's ~£160, which is almost €220.

For 10 quid more a 1080p screen and ready to go Win 10 is a good price IMO from Aldi.

I might buy the Asus one though, as both Aldi near me sold out :pac:

Would appreciate a link, if anyone has found a 1080p screened laptop this size, for around these price points :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

For a full HD IPS screen it's not bad at all! Nothing (windows) in this price range has that.

Please be aware though that full HD on 11" will be tiny and not all apps scale well yet on Windows.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    This one from Asus is almost identical on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-X205TA-11-6-Inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B00R6BRR2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440716686&sr=8-1&keywords=x205ta

It only has a 768p screen instead of the 1080p from Medion.

Not just 768p but also no IPS display. That makes a big difference in screen quality.

If you don't care about the screen the asus x205 is not a bad choice though. The battery life is super on that one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The hardware that is in this is mainly targeted at tablets so it won't be the quickest in the world. Any one buying it should keep that in mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Why would you buy a Aldi laptop when you can get a great new dell one for 90 extra.
    Have my dell laptop almost 11 years now and still going strong, have seen friends go through 3 to 4 laptops in that time.

• Advertisement

Not just 768p but also no IPS display. That makes a big difference in screen quality.

If you don't care about the screen the asus x205 is not a bad choice though. The battery life is super on that one.

Yeah, the Asus one is a bit lighter too at .98kg vs 1.2kg but I'm not sure I could buy it, knowing the Medion one is just 10 bucks more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,121 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Priced about right, modern netbook, screen specs look decent (though not touch screen), 3 year warranty, 2gb of ram (a lot of win tablets only have 1gb), won't be the fastest but probably good mobile windows device

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Why would you buy a Aldi laptop when you can get a great new dell one for 90 extra.
    Have my dell laptop almost 11 years now and still going strong, have seen friends go through 3 to 4 laptops in that time.

The reason for buying the Aldi one- is their customer service is incredible- if something goes wrong normally you can just drop it off at any branch and get a repair/refund with no questions asked. The customer service in Aldi is really really good. Also- check what a 3 year warranty with Dell will cost you- you really will pay for it.........

That said- the Aldi laptop wouldn't suit my needs- I want a full laptop- not a netbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭halkar

Got this yesterday. Brilliant screen. You will not find full hd ips screen laptop\netbook anywhere near this price. Windows 10 is fine with 2GB after tweaking around disabling unused apps. After Office installed there is about 15Gb free space. Also fine as you can get cheap 64gb micro sd for additional space if needed.
    It will not be singing and dancing but it will do the basic internet, office, social network, multimedia stuff.
    And 3 year warranty is a big bonus.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

These devices are for browsing mostly, it would be better to consider it a tablet with a keyboard in terms of usage. The 1080p screen is great. Just waiting for other manufacturers to go this route on all their laptops. 1366 x 768 resolution needs to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The reason for buying the Aldi one- is their customer service is incredible- if something goes wrong normally you can just drop it off at any branch and get a repair/refund with no questions asked. The customer service in Aldi is really really good. Also- check what a 3 year warranty with Dell will cost you- you really will pay for it.........

That said- the Aldi laptop wouldn't suit my needs- I want a full laptop- not a netbook.
    Really? I was in aldi yesterday and the guy in front of me was trying to return a leaky kettle that was only 4 months old. They kept telling him he needed to take up his issue with the manufacturer as it was more than 60 days old. Shocking customer service in that instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The likes of the, comparable, Asus X205TA are available refurbished for between 90 and 115 euro from tech sellers like LuzerneTech (http://stores.ebay.ie/LuzernTech), on eBay, prices include P&P. Sent from Poland/Germany by UPS, tracked.

2GB runs Windows 10 just fine. Don't expect much out of these Atom CPU's, for browsing, YouTube etc, they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

stick Linux on them.. grand for browsing etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

You will have to do a fair bit of work to get Linux on these type of netbooks, particularly if they have a UEFI bios, even more fiddly if it is a 32bit system, for some reason.

First things first, if you start to experiment on a device with a UEFI bios, bitlock encrypted by default etc. Back up your system with the backup creation tools available to you, from within the OS, I can't overstate that enough..

First thing you should do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,085 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dells hardware quality is not what it was 11 years ago, for starters

Advertisement