Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herd number

Options
  • 27-08-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I hope someone here can help me out a bit

I live on my fathers farm, its all tillage with some land rented to a dairy farmer. i plan on renting one field from my father to keep sheep for the winter, maybe 100 sheep, its more of a hobby than anything else. The field is well fenced, i would have access to the yard and sheds if i needed (but likely not for sheep, maybe for a sick animal). i dont have a sheep pen but i am happy that i could make one simply enough. I have three main questions:

do i need to have or can i have sheep before applying for the number?
    the field adjoining the field i will take has cows in it (it is rented), its very well fenced, i assume this would not be an issue, there is no sharing of facilities or anything like that.
    how long does a herd number application take?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/
    3rd link down
    you need to have the number before buying.

application shouldn't take too long maybe a month including an inspection. aslong as the field is stockproof it shouldn't be a problem

i'd say 100 sheep is a lot to be starting with if you've no experience with sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Thanks ganmo - i have some experience and plenty of advice from an uncle who has a few thousand of them so i think i can manage 100 (hopefully..!)

Advertisement