Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persistent culinary myths

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Myth: Cream should be in a carbonara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

duploelabs wrote: »
    Myth: Cream should be in a carbonara
    No way! No need...

syklops wrote: »
    I always soak them first and nearly always end up with lasagne more like something you would get in an italian restaurant. If I follow the instructions and cook them as is, I end up with something amateurish.
    I tried pre-cooking the lasagne sheets, but I found it very awkward. I used a big oven tray on the hob, and tried cooking three or four at a time, but they were hard to handle, and stuck together. I really would like to pre-cook them, because they made a much better lasagne, but that put me off.

Any tips to make it easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

katydid wrote: »
    I tried pre-cooking the lasagne sheets, but I found it very awkward. I used a big oven tray on the hob, and tried cooking three or four at a time, but they were hard to handle, and stuck together. I really would like to pre-cook them, because they made a much better lasagne, but that put me off.

Any tips to make it easier?

I just soak them, I dont cook them. Leave them soaking like an hour before you put the lasagne into the oven.

I just soak them, I dont cook them. Leave them soaking like an hour before you put the lasagne into the oven.
    Ahhh. Thanks. That sounds like a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,001 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you make sure you completely cover the sheets with the top layer of sauce, there is no need to pre cook or soak the sheets up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

katemarch wrote: »
    NO FOOD SAFETY ADVICE OR COMMENTS PLEASE!!

now read on....

Well, as regards the scallions, it's mainly a difference of opinion, I think.

But here's another tale of genuine misconception:

At one time, when Spaghetti, Macaroni, and their ilk, were new end exotic foodstuffs to these Celtic islands, it used to be recommended to soak them before cooking.
    Terrible idea! - you don't see that one mentioned any more, (although Elizabeth David alludes to it)

But I've still got a cookery book that earnestly warns me that rice must be thoroughly washed in several waters before cooking, "to rinse away the starch"

Well -- mythology for sure.

You don't need to do this: there are pages of superstition written about the proper ways to cook rice, and maybe some, (or many) of them have a grain of substance (ha, ha)

But as for a "necessity" to wash starch out before cooking, well, just No.

For Japanese/Sushi rice, rinsing and soaking is important, leaving starch on the rice stops it getting the right separate but sticky grain texture. I fully agree with it not being needed for general long grain rices and, on the flipside, keeping the starch is essential to a good risotto texture.

Myths that annoy me:

Sushi = raw fish
    Pork is unsafe if eaten in any form other than cremated/boiled until white.
    MSG is somehow artificial and "more toxic" than table salt (it occurs naturally in savoury foods)
    All Scotch is peated

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

katemarch wrote: »
    But I've still got a cookery book that earnestly warns me that rice must be thoroughly washed in several waters before cooking, "to rinse away the starch"

Well -- mythology for sure.
    I'm with the poster above, it actually is a requirement for certain kinds of rice. Sushi rice and stick/glutinous rice are the two that spring to mind.

I soak stick rice for a few hours, then rinse it. Even then its still completely starchy and sticky. If you cooked it straight you'd prob end up with a pot of glue.
    hdowney wrote: »
    Agree re the last comment above. Every single person does stuff differently. As long as your food turns out the way YOU like to eat it, what's the problem?

I don't think the issue should be with different methods to cook a particular food. But rather methods, or parts of method that have no affect on the end results, or don't do what people think they do. (eg searing meat to seal in juices)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

kylith wrote: »
    which is why people used to drink the cabbage water.
    Used to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A drink rather than food myth:
    Poiteen was/is made from potatoes.

No, no, no, no. Not true.
    Never was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Never was.

Well you're incorrect there. Not exclusively spuds. But spuds are used in the manufacture.

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Well you're incorrect there. Not exclusively spuds. But spuds are used in the manufacture.

Of Irish poiteen, historically?
    Show me evidence.
    It makes no sense.
    Of course, alcohol can be made from potatoes, is made from potatoes and was made from potatoes but not by bootleggers up a mountain in rural Ireland avoiding the law.
    The only suggestion I've heard from anyone who has researched this that involved potatoes is the possibility that the hot water from boiling pots of potatoes might have been used in the mash but that is speculation.

Apart from commonly held ideas, why do you suggest that potatoes are/were used in the process?

Apart from commonly held ideas, why do you suggest that potatoes are/were used in the process?

Because they are cheap and easily accessible?

Are you suggesting potato vodka is a myth?

Of Irish poiteen, historically?
    Show me evidence.
    It makes no sense.
    Of course, alcohol can be made from potatoes, is made from potatoes and was made from potatoes but not by bootleggers up a mountain in rural Ireland avoiding the law.
    The only suggestion I've heard from anyone who has researched this that involved potatoes is the possibility that the hot water from boiling pots of potatoes might have been used in the mash but that is speculation.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/C-376.aspx

http://www.yourirish.com/poitin

http://www.independent.ie/life/the-spirit-of-the-irish-31071185.html

Etc etc etc

In fairness, the independent is about as trust worthy as that astrologist they used to have on live at 3.

One of those is just a header on a Scotch whisky sales site.

The next is a recipe blogger.

The last is by a journalist who doesn't know the difference between proof and ABV.

Hardly credible sources.

Because they are cheap and easily accessible?

Are you suggesting potato vodka is a myth?

I'm not suggesting that large scale potato alcohol production is a myth.

Potatoes are bulky and relatively low in sugars that are not easy to extract. You need an vast amount of potatoes to make a small amount of alcohol. It really doesn't make any sense that producers were doing it in secret in inaccessible locations.
    I have yet to be presented with any evidence that goes beyond folklore or heresay to suggest that poiteen was made from potatoes and I have spoken to people in the industry who have done quite a bit of research.
    No doubt, someone, somewhere did actually make poiteen from spuds but it was never commonly used.
    No doubt, somebody somewhere made hooch out of turnips too but we don't hold true that poiteen is made from turnips.

One of those is just a header on a Scotch whisky sales site.

The next is a recipe blogger.

The last is by a journalist who doesn't know the difference between proof and ABV.

Hardly credible sources.

So what? You're obviously incorrect. A cursory look on the net brings these up. I couldn't be bothered looking any more as you are being deliberately obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So what? You're obviously incorrect. A cursory look on the net brings these up. I couldn't be bothered looking any more as you are being deliberately obtuse.

The links you are posted are simply reiterating the notion that it's made from spuds. Hardly proof of anything.

Never was.
    A myth that it was exclusively made from spuds. Absolutely.

But "never" may be a bit extreme. It would make the most sense to make it from whatever was availible. Various grains would obviously give you more carbs per kilo. Probably 4 times more. I But with nothing else availible or not enough grain for a full batch, if sure they have no problem supplementing with spuds.

But yeah, I think they are a bit bulky to be a main source of starch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Used to?

My mother referred to it as 'gravy' when we were growing up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just back to the lasagne sheets for a minute tks.

Do you soak them in hot or cold water?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I soak them in cold water, as suggested by someone here on the forum. It doesn't cook them but it makes them start to soften so they cook through properly in the oven.

Myth: Chorizo should be in paella (like cream in carbonara but it doesn't stop people doing it)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Myth: Chorizo should be in paella (like cream in carbonara but it doesn't stop people doing it)

Real Spanish Paella doesn't have chorizo in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Isn't Paella one of those peasant dishes though where different regions have different types, or is this really a hard and fast rule?

Isn't Paella one of those peasant dishes though where different regions have different types, or is this really a hard and fast rule?

Yeah I thought Paella is like irish Stew, every Spannish mama has a slightly different method.

Yeah I thought Paella is like irish Stew, every Spannish mama has a slightly different method.

Well, Yes there are variations in the extra bits, chicken, rabbit, peas, snails, seafood, all regional variations. Then there are staples that make it standard throughout like rice, peppers, saffron, stock. And one of those staples is that it doesn't have chorizo in it.

Well, Yes there are variations in the extra bits, chicken, rabbit, peas, snails, seafood, all regional variations. Then there are staples that make it standard throughout like rice, peppers, saffron, stock. And one of those staples is that it doesn't have chorizo in it.

So we are back to the poitin then.

No, paella may have many things in it. But it definitely does not have chorizo in it. I was told by my spanish colleagues (in a spanish company) this is was as culturally insensitive as calling the 17th of March 'St. Patty's day'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is there chorizo in poitin? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement